PDA

View Full Version : Overheating or Running Hot? 3rd Gen Cooling System advice

Lee
07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I have had intermittent overheating issues and I believe I have totally solved them. If you are having these issues, this thread will document and inform you of what I have learned. These are my experiences and opinions, what is documented here is intended to help you inspect and determine your issues or guide you through the process of narrowing what is causing your engine to run warm.

Step 1: Coolant
Are you using Toyota coolant? If not, flush your system and refill with genuine Toyota coolant. What I did for this was to unhook the upper and lower hoses on the radiator and drained the coolant into a bucket. Be sure to dispose of the coolant at an authorized local dump, do not dispose of it irresponsibly. Next, with the engine running and radiator hoses still unhooked, I used a garden hose to flush water through the entire system. Don't forget to open both heaters (main heater on the dash and the rear heater on the center console) in the vehicle when you flush or the old coolant will be trapped in the system and you won't have fully flushed everything.

It takes about 20 minutes give or take for the water that comes out to go from green to an almost clear fluid. I kept an eye on my temp gauge just to be sure, but it was fine and remained right in the middle the whole time. next I reconnected the hose, refilled the radiator and the reservoir container (pictured below) and allowed it to circulate. As I drove for the next few trips, I checked the coolant level and added as necessary.

Since I used water to flush my system and did not have any sort of equipment to clear all the water out, I used the Toyota pink 50/50 prediluted fluid rather than the red.

Here is the reservoir container

http://kidmoe.com/cooling2.jpg

The engine coolant level in the container should be between the LOW and FULL lines, when the engine is cold. If low, check for leaks and add more coolant up to the FULL line.

Step 2:

If you have Toyota coolant and sufficient coolant without a glaring leak, your next step should be to check the thermostat.

The FSM tells you pretty bluntly that the steps to removing the thermostat for testing are as follows:

1. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT
2. DISCONNECT LOWER RADIATOR HOSE
3. REMOVE THERMOSTAT
(a) Remove the 3 nuts, wire clamp, water inlet and thermostat
with gasket from the water pump.
(b) Remove the gasket from the thermostat.

Testing....straight from the FSM:
http://kidmoe.com/cooling3.jpg

If the thermostat tests out fine, reinstall, check coolant levels.

Step 3:

The FAN CLUTCH is another culprit. The fan clutch itself can appear to be working properly.. spinning with the engine's rpm rate and, with the engine off, it may even appear to be tight and good. I replaced mine in a matter of minutes and determined it had most definitely been faulty as it was not howling quite the way it used to at start up and with my A/C running it barely ever turned on, which is not normal/proper function.

Here's the fan clutch:
http://kidmoe.com/cooling1.jpg

Removal is easy. No need to touch anything else, just loosen the 4 nuts being careful not to drop them (!) and carefully, without jamming the fan blades into the radiator, slide the entire assembly to the drivers side, up and out. Next undo the bolts holding the clutch to the fan, remove old clutch, place new clutch onto the guides, reinstall bolts, reinstall whole unit, and youre good to go.

Step 4: The radiator & radiator cap. WITH THE ENGINE COOL, remove the radiator cap. If the radiator cap has contaminations, always rinse it with water. The FSM tells the techs to use a tester to test the cap. Honestly, it is so cheap that you may as well replace it with a brand new Toyota one. Cheap insurance, easy install of course!

Inspect the radiator for leaks, see if any fins are damaged, etc. Replacing the radiator can be rather involved, I have done it twice and it is not fun or cheap. I went aftermarket and saved a LOT of money, but then again I had to do it twice since the first one was faulty. So pick your poison.

These are my experiences, hope it helps.

MTL_4runner
07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Great writeup Lee. :thumbup:

I just wanted to add that it often helps to combine steps 1 and 2 since the block flushes alot better when the thermostat removed. Also don't forget to open both heaters (main heater on the dash and the rear heater on the center console) in the vehicle when you flush or the old coolant will be trapped in the system and you won't have fully flushed everything.

cooldry
07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Okay, I'm sure this is going to be a stupid question :shake:, but if you use Toyota red, do you have to dilute with 50% water or do you just use the red by itself.

MTL_4runner
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Okay, I'm sure this is going to be a stupid question :shake:, but if you use Toyota red, do you have to dilute with 50% water or do you just use the red by itself.

Toyota red coolant usually comes concentrated so you need to mix with water before refilling.
Toyota pink coolant comes premixed so you just add it straight from the container to refill.

surf4runner
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
its also a good idea to dilute w/ distilled water vs tap water

Lee
07-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Great writeup Lee. :thumbup:

I just wanted to add that it often helps to combine steps 1 and 2 since the block flushes alot better when the thermostat removed. Also don't forget to open both heaters (main heater on the dash and the rear heater on the center console) in the vehicle when you flush or the old coolant will be trapped in the system and you won't have fully flushed everything.
wow thanks man i totally forgot that part of the flush, ill edit it in shortly.

mkgarrison5
07-12-2007, 06:07 AM
i may be in trouble but 10k miles ago i drained the radiator (system was toyota red filled).. i drained it just bc it was looking meak and i was bored. i filled the radiatior back up with Prestone (all vehicle make) green coolant.. did i make a big mistake or will this work and be ok? dont know much about coolant.

MTL_4runner
07-12-2007, 07:51 AM
i may be in trouble but 10k miles ago i drained the radiator (system was toyota red filled).. i drained it just bc it was looking meak and i was bored. i filled the radiatior back up with Prestone (all vehicle make) green coolant.. did i make a big mistake or will this work and be ok? dont know much about coolant.

Here's all you could want to know about coolant:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=328.msg2165

Just like oil, pick what you think will work best for you.

mkgarrison5
07-12-2007, 10:27 AM
mtl, i read all that.. the only question i had was can you mix toyota coolant with the prestone "all make and models" coolant??

Lee
07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
personally, toyota coolant is such good quality and is whats MEANT to be there, so i stick with it. the other stuff is cheaper and imo you get what you pay for. i wheel my truck in all conditions, it gets really cold and really hot here, so its toyota all the way.

MTL_4runner
07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
mtl, i read all that.. the only question i had was can you mix toyota coolant with the prestone "all make and models" coolant??

Sorry, thought you were asking about coolants in general.

Can you mix them? Yes.
Should you mix them? No.

What would I suggest? Flush per Lee's writeup and refill with Toyota red or pink coolant.

Lee
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
id say toyota pink is the way to go, that way you dont ever have to worry about the dilution :thumbup:

im a lazy bastard :)

mkgarrison5
07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
well crap... i dont have anywhere to put all that coolant for the flush.. i can drain the radiator to get most of the green out and refill with toyota coolant but thats it

tacoclimber
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree Lee, great writeup. I had a bit of a "running hot" issue with my 99 Tacoma, and when I flushed my system, I found that the PO had been using Prestone. I switched to Toyota red (I'm a little less lazy than you :D ) and the issues went away. I'll only use Toyota coolant in my 03. :thumbup:

Lee
07-12-2007, 11:37 AM
well crap... i dont have anywhere to put all that coolant for the flush.. i can drain the radiator to get most of the green out and refill with toyota coolant but thats it
after your drain the coolant that comes out initially, the "flush" is less harmful and you can just fill a few buckets with the initial wash, then allow the rest to flow. by the 3rd bucket full or so (empty the buckets into a large trash can), i just let the 90% water mix flow onto the grass :laugh: im not proud of it, but the grass had no ill consequences and is lush and full :D none went into any drains either.

its the concentrated fluid you need to get rid of.

Lee
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree Lee, great writeup. I had a bit of a "running hot" issue with my 99 Tacoma, and when I flushed my system, I found that the PO had been using Prestone. I switched to Toyota red (I'm a little less lazy than you :D ) and the issues went away. I'll only use Toyota coolant in my 03. :thumbup:
yeah it definitely makes a difference. i changed the thermostat, that solved some of the issue (it handled temp change better) but when i put the toyota coolant in, it solved it almost completely. then as my fan clutch begun to work even less well, i would overheat on slow hill climbs offroad in the heat. so i changed that out and voila, im all set :D

MTL_4runner
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Ditto to what Lee said, just dispose properly of the stuff you drain out via gravity (undo the lower hose to ensure you got most of it). Once you use the garden hose for the flush, the rest is so diluted it is relatively harmless by comparison. Yes, ideally you'd capture and recycle everything, but it's just not practical for most of us out there. I too have had it wash onto the grass with no ill effects.

mkgarrison5
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
well some of us have dogs and stuff and i dont want them licking that mess.. i have to have my t belt, water pump, thermo replaced. i am approaching 100k miles so ill have them do it while its there bc half of it will be dumped anyway replacing the waterpump and the thermostat..

Lee
07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
i did it on my buddy's grass and he has a dog... no worries :)

but yes if youre doing wp and tb, might as well have them do it.