PDA

View Full Version : I picked up my back-up gun

Peter
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I just got it on Monday and qualified with it later that day.
.38 +P is pretty damn hard on the inner palms. I'm just glad I didn't get the Airlights (Scandium)... that would have REALLY killed my hands.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163810_large.jpg

Speaking of qualifying... some of you guys would have loved the course I had. 3 days of shooting, approx. 1500 rounds of .40, approx. 100 rounds of shotgun, and 150 rounds of .38. Shooting while advancing, shooting while shuffling to the rear, shooting from cover, shooting course, shooting with a ballistic shield, etc, etc, etc... so much fun and so many bruises and raw fingers :clap: :confused:

Good Times
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
COOL!!!

wanna go shootin sometime? :)

Peter
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
If my schedule is a go, why not?
I need to practice with this one anyway... I'm a pretty good shot with the Glock but I really suck at this one. I qualified but my first 40 shots were horrendous and my Sgt. had me qualify a second time to make sure I was improving.

Good Times
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Either the first two weekends of August works for me! I've got a lapd buddy that'll definitely come too if he's not working. I'll try to bring the gf too.

Bob, you game?

Peter
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
hmmm... I may have to consult my schedule.
We may have to go on a Sunday. I think I'll be working graveyards on both of those Saturdays.

EDIT:
Buy ammo in advance at Walmart. It's much cheaper there.
You won't need to buy .22, I have tons. Depending on what you want to shoot (you should still remember what I have) you will need to buy accordingly. Just PM me with the calibers you're bringing and I'll know what you want to shoot.

Good Times
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Surprisingly not all wallymarts sell ammo. Though I know I won't have any problems buyin some 9's and 40's :) I don't think I'll need anything else since I'm already in love with a few toys (assuming that I can get my friend to go too!) hehe

Peter
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey dood,
I'm heading to the academy to help out with scenarios on the 5th. I am tentatively free on the 12th?

Bob98SR5
07-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey peter,

shot a similar backup gun, and yeah youre right, totally kills your inner palm when you shoot that pocket rocket! well, i guess its a last ditch weapons, so i think that'll be the last thing on your mind :D

Lance: i'm always game to shoot :) but not on a weekday, peter.

bob

Robinhood4x4
07-12-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm just glad I didn't get the Airlights (Scandium)... that would have REALLY killed my hands.

My brother has one of those and it's amazing how light it is. Put it in your pocket and you'll likely forget it's there.

Peter
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
The Airweights are about 5 oz. heavier or something like that. Basically, the Airweight feels like the Airlights loaded. I was carrying this piece on me while I was qualifying with the shotgun and pretty soon forgot it was there - which is great considering that I'm carrying an extra 20 pounds in gear.

Bob, can you not make the 12th? That's the 2nd Sunday of August.

Texas Jim
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I had a Airlight 44 mag in blue and with wooden grips. Beautiful weapon!! I don't remember the size of barrel, I think maybe 5 inch? Not to sure . I know it weighed 21 ounces empty. I had the weapon for about 4 months before I ever shot it. The all steel version of the same weapon weighs 42 ounces.

I took this fine weapon out and got a box of 44mags; loaded it up.
I shot two rounds, and had a blister on the webbing of my hand. I don't even have a clue where it shot. Looked over at my friend and he just replied "un-uh, I anit shooting it!" I tried to goad him into it but he wouldn't.

Well there were 4 more rounds in it, I put on a glove and shot the rest. Every time it fired a six foot flame came out of the barell. It continuously jammed my thumb. I opened up the cylinder and dumped the empties on the ground, walked over and put it back in the case. Took it home that night and cleaned it really good and went to the gun show the next day and traded it for a Kimber tact II, and never looked back!!!lol :screwy: :headscratch: :yikes: TJ

Robinhood4x4
07-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I had a airweight 44 mag in blue and with wooden grips. Beautiful weapon!! I don't remember the size of barrel, I think maybe 5 inch? not to sure . I know it weighed 21 ounces empty. I had the weapon for about 4 months before I ever shot it. The all steel version of the same weapon weighs 42 ounces.

I took this fine weapon out and got a box of 44mags loaded it up.
I shot two rounds, and had a blister on the webbing of my hand. I don't even have a clue where it shot. Looked over at my friend and he just replied "un-uh, I anit shooting it!" I tried to goad him into it but he wouldn't.

Well there were 4 more rounds in it, I put on a glove and shot the rest. Every time it fired a six foot flame came out of the barell. It continuously jammed my thumb. I opened up the cylinder and dumped the empties on the ground, walked over and put it back in the case. Took it home that night and cleaned it really good and went to the gun show the next day and traded it for a Kimber tact II, and never looked back!!!lol :screwy: :headscratch: :yikes: TJ

Oh my GOD!!!! Almost no misspelled words and acceptable grammar! I guess we just have to get you to talk about guns more. :D

My brothers have a snub nose .44 that they took to a shooting match. In one of the obstacles they had to hold the gun inside a cardboard box and shoot through the open end. I guess when other people were shooting that stage the box could be seen to bulge slightly. Well, the first shot out of their .44 blew the box apart. Everybody cheered because that meant they didn't have to shoot through it anymore.

Bob98SR5
07-28-2007, 08:06 AM
peter,

depends where. and are we going to a range that allows long guns?

bob

Texas Jim
07-29-2007, 04:16 AM
I had a Airlight 44 mag in blue and with wooden grips. Beautiful weapon!! I don't remember the size of barrel, I think maybe 5 inch? Not too sure . I know it weighed 21 ounces empty. I had the weapon for about 4 months before I ever shot it. The all steel version of the same weapon weighs 42 ounces.

I took this fine weapon out and got a box of 44mags; loaded it up.
I shot two rounds, and had a blister on the webbing of my hand. I don't even have a clue where it shot. Looked over at my friend and he just replied "un-uh, I aint shooting it!" I tried to goad him into it but he wouldn't.

Well there were 4 more rounds in it, I put on a glove and shot the rest. Every time it fired, a six foot flame came out of the barell. It continuously jammed my thumb. I opened up the cylinder and dumped the empties on the ground, walked over and put it back in the case. Took it home that night and cleaned it really good Went to the gun show the next day and traded it for a Kimber tact II. Never looked back!!!lol :screwy: :headscratch: :yikes: TJ
Fixed this up a little for you Robinhood4X4, But I did use the word "aint" which doesn't work with the spell check feature.... LOL TJ

Texas Jim
07-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Yes! Bob, I would think anytime you go to a range that, they would allow (long guns) there. TJ

Peter
07-29-2007, 09:08 AM
TJ, unfortunately the range that we went to last time didn't allow shotguns and most likely not rifles larger than .22lr.

Bob, I'm not sure if shotguns weren't allowed at that range period or if it was because of the behavior of the one shooting it. What location is good for you and Lance? We need to find one other than On-Target... they go overkill on their range rules. I identified myself as LE and they still wouldn't allow me to shoot more than one shot per second, so much for practice.

Also, my schedule might have changed as of last night. I am going to be getting a call sometime today by the scheduling Sgt. to let me know what's going on.

CJM
07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I kinda found this funny, no offense but what did you expect from a lightweight highpowered revolver?

Nice choice with the Kimber tho.

Texas Jim
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
I just wasn't thinking about the kick that baby had. Dudh!!!!

I know that the survivalist kits you see with the 454's and the 50 cal sub-nose's that are either in a red or yellow pelican case would make your wrist break...

I have shot many of 44Mag's and had no trouble. I have a S&W Model 629, and a Model 54 357mag that I have no trouble with.

I dumped the Kimber shortly because you can not wear a glove and shoot it. Traded it for a HK USPf Tactical. Much better weapon.

See you have to understand; I wear a size 2XL glove and my wrist are 11 inches around. So I guess shooting a 44 Mag in a light weight size didn't really concern me. TJ

Peter
08-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Bob, Lance - what do you guys think of these places?
Outdoor ranges can be pretty fun :)

http://www.kuci.org/~dany/firearms/ocshooting.html#outdoor

Good Times
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Peter, any outdoor range works for me :)

Let me know what day works for you as I'm free both sat/sun. I'm gonna bring yoko and her friend (lapd) so let's lock down a date/time :)

Peter
08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I think Sunday is still a better day for me. I'll have had 3/4 of a day to recover from a graveyard shift. Is the 12th still a good day for you or do you think you'd want the 19th? Is Bob still interested, do ya know?

We should call up some of the other guys that got the cool toys :D

Good Times
08-03-2007, 12:49 AM
12 is better cuz the following weekend, we'll both be in June lake. Bob is meeting up with me on sat to work on the diesel mb and the 4runner so I'll confirm with him and reply here shortly.

Bob98SR5
08-03-2007, 01:15 AM
12th is good for me. outdoor range is better. it would be better though, if we saved on the range fees and drove way out into the desert so we would not have to deal with bullshizzle range nazis and all the fargin gang bangers who infest the shooting ranges these days

Peter
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
If you got a suggestion, I'm open to it...

Good Times
08-09-2007, 02:35 AM
peter, we still game for sun? I've got a friend I want to bring with me (lapd).

desert or outdoor range, either one is fine. if we do the desert I'm thinkin out in the middle of nowhere beyond apple valley. thoughts?

Peter
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I have no idea where to go for desert shooting. I thought Bob might have a good idea since he suggested it - so I was waiting for him to chime in. If you've got a place in mind let me know.

Otherwise, I'm cool with wherever. I won't be able to do any research for a couple days because I'm working. If you've got the time feel free to. Otherwise I was thinking the place in Azusa (Burro Canyon).

Good Times
08-09-2007, 09:29 PM
If you want to do the desert, I can ask my friend who has recommendations on where to shoot.

Good Times
08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
peter, lets meet at bob's place at 800am. we'll hit up burro canyon and have some fun!

gonna pick up rounds of 9/40 at wallymart (if they have em) tomorrow. call me if you guys want me to pick up other stuff.

Bob98SR5
08-11-2007, 01:10 PM
pete, if lance hasn't told you, i can't make it. i have to spend all of sunday to prep all my gear for the june lake trip as we are leaving thursday night. have fun!

Peter
08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
I talked to Lance earlier today. Sounds like you're going to miss out. Maybe another time?
We'll see how Burro Canyon turns out and if it is good we'll definitely have to make a return trip out.

Texas Jim
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Photo's for us that are geographically challenged......PLEASE??? TJ

Peter
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
We didn't take any photos but it was pretty fun. I finally sourced the issue of my 10/22 misfeeds. I spent some time cleaning the magazines the night before and tweaking the springs to feed a little more aggressively and I had few issues with the exception of one mag... I'll need to tweak that a little more.

We had a pretty good arsenal going though... 2 SW 642s, Beretta 92FS, Glock 27, Glock 22, Glock 23, Sig P226, Ruger 10/22, Remington 870, Marlin 22LR (don't know what kind). Since we were outdoor with targets that were pretty easily destroyed we spent more time on the rifles. Would definitely have been fun to have had some heavier calibers out with us :)

Texas Jim
08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Peter, just get some new springs,(Wolf Brand,) for the 22 mags they are cheap. TJ

Peter
08-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, I cranked the springs a few more turns on one mag to test and left it the same on 4 others. The mag I cranked had no problems while the others occasionally misfed. I've already cranked all 5 but I will definitely keep in mind your suggestion once I find that the cranking doesn't work.

I'd love to just switch mags but the aftermarket hotlips mags don't seem to work properly in my rifle.