PDA

View Full Version : Advice on lift and tires/wheels for a 2003 4Runner

CAPSTOY
07-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I have read and researched numerous sites looking for the right lift and tires/wheels for my newly purchased 2003 Toyota 4Runner. I want to use this truck for both primary vehicle and once in awhile off-road. I have looked into a spacer lift but I decided to go with a full suspension, hopefully 2.5-3.5 inches. With all the great information out there I have become even more confused, whether certain tires will rub, size of the lift, to go with suspension and body lift, ect. If anybody has some insight that would help me out I would sure appreciate your knowledge. Thanks and I look foward to having a great custom 4Runner that I will hopefully pass down to my kids down the road. :headscratch:

CJ3Flyr
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Welcome, I was reading your sig and do you have those items already or is that you're current thought process? Do you have a diesel?

From reading on the boards many seem very happy with the OME offerings. Most say the bang-for-buck (or pound in your case) is really good.

As far as tires go my understanding is that 275/65/18 or 275/70/17 is about the biggest you can go without UCA rubbing when the wheel is cut all the way. Even the 275 will rub a little bit at stock height with no wheel spacers. (Some minor plastic trimming will be required.) Considering the DD status of your 4Runner 275 has one more advantage, it will fit in the factory spare tire area allowing you to travel with the correct sized spare easily.

Many have 285's. I am pretty sure they have minor rubbing with stock UCA's. They seem to just live with it, I don't know what they do about a spare.

Does that help?

Good luck! :thumbup:

slosurfer
07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
welcome to UY! There are a couple built 4th gens here, I'm sure they will chime in. :thumbup:

Good Times
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome aboard to UY!

Not sure if you've read this but here's some light reading:

Wheel and Tire faq (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=60&id=wiki:wheel_and_tire_faq) - this one might be a bit outdated.
Lift faq (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=60&id=wiki:holy_grail_lift_faq)

Bottom line:
OME - best overall performing at the most reasonable cost for the average "abuser" :)

285/75/16 (which will fit with your sr5) will rub if you get the mud terrain. If you get the all terrain then you won't rub as much. Rubbing info is pretty comprehensive on the wheel and tire faq.

Body lift - definitely not needed but if you want you can. will help to minimize your rubbing if you do this mod. If you do - make sure to read up on the lift faq on the details.

Hope this helps :) If you have more specific q's just ask away and we'll help ya out!

Welcome aboard again!