PDA

View Full Version : '01 KX-250 start problems..

fenrisx
07-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Well I'm not looking for a detailed answer as to what my problem could be... just possible ideas on what to start checking...

It's a 2001 KX-250.. It's been chained up outside the past few weeks and not started.

The last time I started it up.. kicked started it on the 2nd kick.

Today it took like 10 kicks before it started, and immediately bogged out with me revving it.

I hear gas sloshing around so I know it has gas... although there's not a lot in it.

Any recommended starting points to check? I'm a noob.

I was going to post it on a Kawi board, but I wanted to throw some stuff in this nearly empty folder. :) Have to make it useful. :)

MTL_4runner
07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
You might check to see if the plugs are fouled.
I assume you're getting spark since it did finally kick over.

UKMyers
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Change the plug. If it's warm out where you are don't leave it choked for more than just a few seconds after it starts or you'll foul it again.

BruceTS
07-17-2007, 07:49 AM
not enough information to answer your problem, but I'll give it a go.
First if you live in a area where the weather conditions are wet, look for water in the fuel/carb. When was the last time the air filter was cleaned? And as mentioned check the spark plugs....

fenrisx
07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Well here lately it's been raining a good bit, but in the beginning of the summer we had a long drought.

The air filter was cleaned very recently.. and only had about a 15 minute ride on it since it was cleaned.

I just changed the plug, and still no go. I gave up rather quickly after scraping my leg with the kick starter though.

As far as water in the fuel/carb. I don't know how to check the carb and all that. Changing the plug is about where my knowledge stops.

One thing is.. the plug I bought might not be the right one. When I tried to get an EGK BR8EVX.. they didn't have it, but told my system gave part number 4068 I believe. Then the other store cross referenced to a Denso plug..

Here is a picture of the old plug.. I don't know if you can tell from pictures or not, but dose it look like it was fouled?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/942100311_dd50e4754b_o.jpg

MTL_4runner
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM
The plugs look a bit wet but not fouled.

Here's a fouled plug:
http://www.polariswatercraft.com.au/images/spark2.jpg

Does the plug smell like fuel when you pull the plugs?
If so try starting it with the throttle wide open. If it's not firing it may be ignition related.

fenrisx
07-29-2007, 05:34 PM
The old plug does have a hint of fuel smell to it. I didn't do the 'ol sniff test when I pulled it.. and I haven't taken the new one out yet to see.

MTL_4runner
07-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Pull the plug again, spray a decent amount of carb cleaner in the cylinder, reinstall the plug, give it WOT and see if it fires up for a few secs. If it does then it's probably a blocked carb jet or water in the carb as Bruce mentioned. If you still get no firing or very intermittent then I suspect an ignition problem.

fenrisx
07-30-2007, 11:23 AM
It was just flooded.

That... coupled with Auto Zone selling me the wrong plug.. I couldn't get it started.

Put the new plug back in it today, and had it fired up within a few kicks.

Good stuff.