PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Locking

all_terrain17
07-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey kids,

Trying to get my junk together before school starts back up. Landed a 5.29 rear diff that's welded. Of course I don't want to run a welded rear so here is my question: Is it possible to use the carrier from the 3rd which is already in my truck when installing the Aussie? I don't see any issue with this, but I wanted to check in here to be sure.

Thanks!

amgraham
07-15-2007, 08:50 PM
If you have a V6 I don't think they make an Aussie for it. If it's a 4Cyl you should be good to use the existing carrier as long as the bearing surfaces are in good shape. You'll just have to set up the 5.29s on the old carrier.

all_terrain17
07-15-2007, 08:56 PM
It's a 4, so availability isn't an issue.

You'll just have to set up the 5.29s on the old carrier.

Not sure what you mean by this. I have two 3rds already set up, it's just a matter of switching carriers right? Is there be a need to re-setup gears?

amgraham
07-16-2007, 05:33 AM
If you swap the carriers you're going to have to swap the gears since the gears you want are on the unusable carrier. If you do that you have to set up the gears on the "new" carrier. Generally when you install an Aussie you can get away with not resetting the gears since you just mark everything and put it back the same way.. You don't have that luxury in this case since you're going with a different carrier and gears. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what you're going to have to do.. I know if I were in your place I'd do it just for piece of mind since you never know if the tolerances are the same between carriers.

all_terrain17
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Took your advice and had it set up at a local transmission shop. It was ready a week ago, but I wasn't happy with the gear pattern, and even they agreed the pinion could be closer :shake: So I got it back today, put it back in and drove around. It's not really noticeable around corners, but it was making a pretty bad grinding noise whenever there is no load on the rear end (i.e. letting off the gas, pushing the clutch in)

Had a couple of techs that set it up ride with me and listen to it...One thought my "chain driven transfer was slipping" :screwy:

But they were nice and said they'd have a look at it Monday. Anyone got a clue as to what the grinding may be?

Thanks.

all_terrain17
08-17-2007, 03:19 PM
This is ridiculous. The shop has tried three times to get this right and it's still making a distinct noise. Almost like a valve tick whenever I'm off the gas or switching gears.

Put on a set of street tires to cut down on ambient sound, and found the backing plates hammered against the drums from the last time it was in their hands :chair:

It will be three weeks this Monday that I first gave them the 3rd. I can see myself going back there and them claiming not to hear anything.

Chime in here people. Am I just out of luck and the money I paid them, do I need to be learning how to set up gears myself, or is this noise really no big deal at all?

Cebby
08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I've never ridden in a Aussie equipped truck, but I doubt the noise you are describing is normal. Poor tooth pattern, incorrect drive gear backlash and loose pinion nuts are the primary causes of gear noise. Contrary to popular belief, the noise won't go away - it will get worse.

all_terrain17
08-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey Cebby,

I don't believe the locker is the issue, it passes the given tests without problem. I've been conversing with Zuk, he believes the problem is a loose pinion based on some of his first attempts setting up gears. That said, there's not much I can do on my own since the problem is on the pinion end..

Going up there in the morning to see what I can work out with the shop..

Thanks

AxleIke
08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
this sounds like installation problems.

Time for a new shop.

all_terrain17
08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep.

Just went and pulled the 3rd back out. Pinion preload is ZILCH. Shop took the last of the paint too, so I'm sure that the pattern is screwed as well.

all_terrain17
08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Finally found someone who had a clue! 100 miles on the 3rd and couldn't be happier.