PDA

View Full Version : able to score an elocked axle drum to (just end of tube)

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I can get this axle for 125

catcher?

entire truck has salt water damage.

worth it to you guys?

I think id end up building it up with chromoly shafts and get the gears cryoed (if that is worth it as Ive heard it isnt)

i think its almost worth it but im on the fence.

xonetruthcrewx
07-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Just keep what you got and go dual ARB's. Thats what i did at least, and i couldnt be happier.

rocket
07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
onetruthcrew, where did you mount your compressor and what one do you have? pics?

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 05:42 PM
well if its worth my time, then i could get this axle, learn about it if i need to make a trail repair and get it beefed up for maybe 200 more then just an arb airlocker.

still an idea, not in writing just yet.

ARBs sound nice just not sure about that route yet.

reggie 00
07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Get it and refurbish. If you go with it cool, if not sell it and make a couple bucks.

slosurfer
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM

What kind of salt water damage? Are we talking submerged in salt water for a long time?

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM

What kind of salt water damage? Are we talking submerged in salt water for a long time?

thats the question, im not really sure.

from the looks ove it, its not real rusty on the outside, most of the orange crap that looks like rust is mud hardened on the tubes. thing is, I dont know how the R&P and all of the internals look.

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
im guessing some dumb broad drove it off a pier or something.

Cheese
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
If that thing works at all, as in the locker actuates, that is a flat out steel at that price.

It is a deal at 400 complete.

Check it and buy it. Throw gears at it maybe and call it good. Even if you sell, it should make you money.

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 07:54 AM
sounds good Cheese, i think im gona pick it up within the week, and try and rebuild the entire thing.

should be a fun project.

ill keep you guys up to date.

slosurfer
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
before you buy it make sure you can move the actuator for the locker. You should be able to do this without hooking any electrical up to it, just do it manually. If the actuator is seized, it's probably not worth it.

Was this a Katrina vehicle?

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 08:09 AM
before you buy it make sure you can move the actuator for the locker. You should be able to do this without hooking any electrical up to it, just do it manually. If the actuator is seized, it's probably not worth it.

Was this a Katrina vehicle?

ill have to have them pull the entire axle. I tried to get under the truck but I couldnt as it had no tires and it was sitting ont he axle. It could be a katrina vehicle, curious though why an SC salvage yard would have it :/ it also has some dents here in there an the rear cargo top is cut off.

I'll check back with you guys thursday to see if it works or not.

btw anybody have a picture of how i can move the actuator? I saw the motor but im not sure how to turn it by hand.

thanks

Lee
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
yikes

you get what you pay for so be careful.

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
yikes

you get what you pay for so be careful.

very true, gonna make sure it works before i take it home.

Lee
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
good. the very fact that the weight of the truck has been sitting on that axle for god knows how long scares me.

MTL_4runner
07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
You'll need to remove the actuator to be able to move the diff lock and check it by hand.

Here's what you'll be wanting to check out:

MTL_4runner
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
If you have 12V handy you can try it on the actuator motor momentarily to make sure it works.
If it doesn't move then you may be in for a motor rebuild too.

Here's the motor insides too:

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
id be damned if the motor works from salt water, I just hope the actuator works.

MTL_4runner
07-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I hate to be a pessimist, but I'd say considering the value of these lockers ($300-500+) and the price they want ($125), you're chances of getting anything good out of that deal are very slim. Although at such a low price it would be worth checking out just in case you do find some of it is good.

neliconcept
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
im hopin for the best, but like yall said, if it doesnt work im not waisting 125 bucks