PDA

View Full Version : The beginning.....

TMR
07-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, after about 3 months of careful research (!!via UltimateYota!!) and planning I ordered the last parts for the first round of modifications for my 4runner today! :king:

The list includes :
Toyo Mud Country 315/75/16s
OMF Powdercoated and Beadlock Wheels
4Crawler 1.5" body lift
Sonoran system 1.51 with blue shocks and shaved a-arms.

There are some other small parts, but those are the fun ones.

Plenty of pictures to come soon!!

MTL_4runner
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, definately want to see some pics of that in progress. :thumbup:

Bighead
07-16-2007, 05:00 PM
That's a hell of a jump from stock...

xonetruthcrewx
07-16-2007, 05:45 PM
^^^^
No doubt. Thats one hell of a way to start things off. Right On.

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
you gonna regear too?

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
oh wait, are you locked at all?

MATT0404
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Can't wait to see some pics.

TMR
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
E-Locked in the rear... The regearing will come with the front locker in round 2....

bigwapitijohnny
07-16-2007, 08:17 PM
My ascent to 'ultimate' began with generic seat covers and removing running boards :)...Please post pics, cannot wait.

regards,

BWJ

neliconcept
07-16-2007, 09:14 PM
E-Locked in the rear... The regearing will come with the front locker in round 2....

sweet, you are getting the same tires i wanted to go with when going up to 35s, I was gonna do some OMF locks on procomp alloys or 5 star wheels.

cant wait to see this put on.

ive got a lot going into mine, 4.97:1 case, front locker, snorkel. we can both be the super modders together lol

Jerm
07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
LThis will be a nice project to watch happen.

Bob98SR5
07-17-2007, 12:09 AM
sounds like quite a project. defintely keep us posted w/ your pics. post any questions you may have along the way

bob

TMR
08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Well finally got everything installed last Friday. Since I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery I had Slee Off Road do the install, and they did a great job!! Here's the first round of pics...

TMR
08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
In the process of posting pics I realized that I don't have enough high res normal pics to provide a good look at the truck...Looks like I have a great excuse to take the truck out tomorrow after work! In the mean time, heres a few pics from the shake down run up left hand canyon on sunday.

YotaFun
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Like the truck.
You have the Nice White I always wanted.

rocket
08-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Thats one heck of a transformation. Looking good.
Do you have sliders ordered yet? Get some with kick-outs!
How does it handle on road?? Please explain...

TMR
08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Rocket- The manners on the road are surprisingly good. This weekend I was up camping with some friends, one of whom is a type I diabetic. Long story short, I had to Mario Andretti the truck down Rist canyon. While its certainly not my TransAm, needless to say I was impressed. If I had to speculate I would say it is was due to the springs and struts being fresh, combined with the lack of heavy steel bumpers front and rear.

The only thing I have been displeased with is the power situation. Around town the truck is more than adequate. But in the hills, the power disappears. I understand that I should put taller gears in there, but I don't think I will. I want to keep the gas mileage up as I'm trying to create a highly capable expedition vehicle, not a crawler. I think my solution lies inside a supercharger… :hillbill: :hillbill: :hillbill:

TMR
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks yotafun..Finally got a *better* pic...still kinda low light though

neliconcept
08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
looking absolutely sick

Bighead
08-16-2007, 05:33 AM
The only thing I have been displeased with is the power situation. Around town the truck is more than adequate. But in the hills, the power disappears. I understand that I should put taller gears in there, but I don't think I will. I want to keep the gas mileage up as I'm trying to create a highly capable expedition vehicle, not a crawler. I think my solution lies inside a supercharger… :hillbill: :hillbill: :hillbill:

Just because you re-gear it does not make it a rockcrawler. New gears will do more to get your truck power where it should be with the larger tires and is cheaper than doing a S/C install with the URD fuel system upgrades required to make it work at peak performance. Oh, don't forget the Premium fuel you have to run with the S/C.

With my 4.88s and 315s I am getting ~17-18 mpg around the city. It almost feels like it did stock...a bit heavier though. ;)

Now if you want a S/C then have at it. I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who has had both. I had one, pulled it, and never looked back...cheap gas is a beautiful thing. :thumbup:

Cheese
08-16-2007, 06:05 AM
A SC gives more power.

Gears allow you to apply the power efficiently.

Gearing to 4.88 is a pretty standard recipe for street driven trucks on 35's.

TMR
08-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback. This whole offroad setup thing is still pretty new to me, including terminology, but I can't seem to get enough of it!

BigHead-
4.88 and 17-18 mpg is pretty good imho. That is not what I would have guessed at all. The S/C comment is really me just dreaming. I could justify S/Cing my truck at this point.

Question for you guys, are you or anyone running dual t-cases with IFS? I saw a vehicle with dual t-cases and was pretty much blown away by the idea. While that is certainly what I would consider more of a crawler mod (in my mind), it seems justifiable due to the fact its a lot safer for the vehicle...For lack of a better word it was simply more graceful and gentler on the vehicle. If someone could point me in the right direction for information on this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

d0ubledown
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
trucks lookin good. definitely have regearing in your next round of mods. im running 4.88's on 315's as well, and its back to stock feel if not a bit heavier due to the bigger tires. the 4.30's were OK...for a while.

ABQ jim on this board has duals with his ifs setup. he's also running 315's BUT he's beefed up his drivetrain tremendously to handle all the multiplied torque outputted by the crawler box. IMO, go for 4.88's + front ARB, and only then, think about adding another tcase, or lower tcase gears. definitely add some sliders though...small price to pay for the protection of your rockers.

TMR
08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, there is much more research that I need to do regarding the duals...

Armoring things up a big priority...almost dented the rocker last night. Sliders/ bumpers are much cheaper than body work.

fenrisx
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
That's a big difference... going from bling to 35's. Looks nice.

xcmountain80
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
thanks yotafun..Finally got a *better* pic...still kinda low light though

Ohhhh sexy

Aaron

xcmountain80
08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, there is much more research that I need to do regarding the duals...

Armoring things up a big priority...almost dented the rocker last night. Sliders/ bumpers are much cheaper than body work.

Ummm yeah I dented the hell out of my belly skid and took some bed liner off of my sliders while at tellico.

Aaron

Rock Slide
08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Wow, the 4Runner looks good. Don't see many all white ones lifted w/ larger tires. Nice work!

When you throw the bumpers and sliders on, it will really show out :D

Wow, I can't imagine how stock gearing feels on the highway w/ your current setup. I'd be looking into regearing quick.

YotaFun
08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Wow, the 4Runner looks good. Don't see many all white ones lifted w/ larger tires. Nice work!

When you throw the bumpers and sliders on, it will really show out :D

Wow, I can't imagine how stock gearing feels on the highway w/ your current setup. I'd be looking into regearing quick.

You know what would really make this truck stand out is if he got the bumpers and sliders painted to match the rest of the truck.
That would be sweet.

Rock Slide
08-17-2007, 08:45 AM
YotaFun-

No doubt! That would look sweet...something different from the standard black aftermarket bumpers front and rear you see all the time.

TMR
08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I can't decide between painting the bumpers pearl to match the truck or go with the black and do a bed liner spray on the bumpers, sliders and bottom part of the doors....The Storm Trooper thing...
The only problem I have with the matching bumpers is the $$, pearlessence paint is not cheap, and will soon be scratched up...Tough to justify painting the rocks on my local trails. It would look sick though!

Cheese
08-17-2007, 09:17 AM
If you plan to wheel the truck, color matched bumpers are a waste of time and money, especially with fancy paint. IMHO, even bedliner is wasted.

Get them black powder coated. Then drag them on the rocks and hit them with Rustoleum. Easy to keep looking good and cheaper than most anything else.

Bighead
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Like Adrian said, just powdercoat them black and call it done. I would also leave the cladding on the doors the way they are instead of putting any bedliner on them. The plastic cladding is already protecting your doors and is not costing you anything.

Rock Slide
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Agreed, color matched bumpers are a waste of time and money if you plan on wheeling the truck, which you obviously plan on doing...I simply like the "look" of color matched bumpers. It's not so run of the mill like everything else you see.

If it were me and I had the money to go either route, I'd stick w/ black bumpers too...no bedliner spray though. You'd be touching up those bumpers all the time if they were painted. I hate to say it, but black is the better choice :(

YotaFun
08-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree 100% that color matched bumpers are a waste of time.
I was just throwing out the idea of if the truck WAS a street queen, color matched bumpers would be sweet.

Black is best in this case. And i will still look good.

Just curious but didn't Andy (A.K.A. bamachem) have a color matched front bumper?
Didn't he wheel his truck just as hard?
Just curious.

Mossyrocks
08-26-2007, 03:22 PM
If you dont want the standard black you could always just go with a charcoal spray paint. Rustoleum has a nice hammered metallic charcoal that I originally painted mine with. I think it'd look good against that white.

BruceTS
08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I recently recieved an order with acrylic enamel paint color matched to my rig and was planning on painting the bumpers. Since doing touch-ups will be much easier...gotta have da bling :king:

neliconcept
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
ive been thinking of going silver or white on my bumpers on my rig as well, but not sure how to go about it without screwing things up on the trails and then having to fix it, but if theirs a way to keep it cheap and easy touchups then im all for it myself.

Cheese
08-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Who did you deal with at Slee?

Did Joey do the work?

TMR
08-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Delt with Ben and Joe. Great customer service and Joe did a great job on the install. Highly recommend them!! Cheese- You have a PM...

neliconcept
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
one thing that kinda looks out of place now that i think about it, the black gloss wheels on a pearl white 4runner, though that color is my favorite beside black and silver.

Cheese
08-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, just surprised they did that kind of work. Not often I have seen the big a build on a non-80 out of their shop.

Did they quote you time or did they just hammer it out?

Some cool cats down there, all about making the customer happy. Did you meet the owner and the other sales guy?