PDA

View Full Version : Power steering question

mkgarrison5
07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
hey guys out of boredome i sucked the power steering fluid out of the resevoir the other day. it was nasty brown! i filled it back up with ATF fluid i had left over. i used valvoline maxlife dex\merc. its recommended for dexIII and mercs.. was that ok to put in my power steering?? or should i use something else? thanks guys

MTL_4runner
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
No, you'll be fine with that.
I need to do mine too, it's way overdue!

mkgarrison5
07-17-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah mine has 92k miles on it.. it was butt nasty. it looked like choco milk coming out no kidding.. i am going to do it again (suck and fill resevoir) a few times over the next few weeks. its pretty bad

MTL_4runner
07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
yeah mine has 92k miles on it.. it was butt nasty. it looked like choco milk coming out no kidding.. i am going to do it again (suck and fill resevoir) a few times over the next few weeks. its pretty bad

Why not just do the flush per GS's writeup?
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1747.0

mkgarrison5
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
dont have the stuff to do it.. it would be a lot easier for me to just suck out the old and in with the new a few times.. i know i wont get all of it out but atleast it would be 50-50 or better after about 2-3 more times

GSGALLANT
07-20-2007, 04:50 AM
dont have the stuff to do it.. it would be a lot easier for me to just suck out the old and in with the new a few times.. i know i wont get all of it out but atleast it would be 50-50 or better after about 2-3 more times

No special "stuff" is required to do my flush. You just need something to cap the stub that the return line connects to on the reservoir. A simple piece of hose with one end plugged works well. The whole procedure only takes 30 minutes, and is well worth doing.