PDA

View Full Version : Oh the shame....

YotaGirl
07-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, we went to the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers safari night today. They had their ramp there and we decided to give it a try. We only made it up to 44". :shake: It was a sad day, especially since this club is loaded with Jeeps. A 1980's diesel Mercedes almost beat us for Pete's sake! You can imagine the comments we heard about Toyotas.

We need to get a new game plan for mods. I don't really want to SAS right now (although that is the way to get the best flex). I just want to do something to help regain some dignity. :spank:

slosurfer
07-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Have you disconnected your front swaybar? If not that will help some, but really won't get you anywhere near a solid axle articulation. You can also add low profile bumpstops to the front to help.

Don't worry, when you have your dual ARB lockers, you will show many of them up.

YotaGirl
07-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah, we did disconnect the sway bar. I haven't noticed any difference since doing that. We also have the Downey torsion bars installed which we have found to be a regrettable purchase. I think we may put the stock ones back on and crank the heck outta them! I think we have low profile bump stops on. Justin told me he swapped them when he put the new torsion bars on.

AxleIke
07-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Flex is for ramp champs. In the grand scheme its about balance front to rear. The only thing that a ramp is good for is making sure that your front numbers are as close to possible as your rear.

Gearing and lockers will look cooler lifting tires and going forward on a trail than a flexed out open truck with all 4 tires on the ground going nowhere.

I get full articulation out of my front. If you want to get max travel out of these front ends, here's how. OME Torsion bars, BJ Spacers, relax back so the lower a-arms are in the stock location. Low pro LOWER bump stops ONLY. The slightly stiffer bars will keep you out of your bumpstops on the regular road, but are still thin enough to flex to the bumpstop off road. With the BJ spacer, you get an extra 1.5 inches of down travel, and with stock upper bumpstops, you will be right at the limit of CV angle, so you should be able to keep your axles together.

Caution: this is for slow roading only. If you jump your truck, you WILL hit the bumpstops violently, and bend stuff. I also recomend a truss from sonoran steel. You'll be happy you did.

You still will be last place in a ramp competition. My suggestion is to leave that to the fairies.

YotaGirl
07-18-2007, 08:37 AM
You still will be last place in a ramp competition. My suggestion is to leave that to the fairies.

LOL I think that is the best advice yet! ;)

all_terrain17
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Dunno if you had the departure angle (I know I didn't) but try backing up on it. The weight will squeeze out all the flex you're going to get up front.

On a tangent, I remember reading some old posts sschaefer wrote on YotaTech about loosening up the front. That was supposed to be top secret though. Did that ever become unclassified? :D

Lee
07-19-2007, 07:10 AM
yeah seriously, get some dignity back by wheeling!

id take my wheelbase over a heeps any day!