PDA

View Full Version : tranny pan removal ?

saulgoode
07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
For those that have changed out the tranny filter on an auto 98 4runner, 1 question. What kind of tool did yall use to get the tranny pan off of the tranny? The gasket material is a bitch to say the least and there's not much room to move around with the driveshaft on one side and the exhaust on the other, it's a tight squeeze . I don't want to use a screwdriver and mess up the pan. I'm a little overdue to change the filter out with it having 183k and it never have been changed. Just been changing out the fluid. Suprisingly tranny shifts fine and there are no problems with it. Any advice would help, thanks!

xonetruthcrewx
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I have always used a screwdriver in the past. Just poke all around the pan until you find a spot that wants to easily pry open and go from there.

MTL_4runner
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Ditto, I use a prybar, but you need to work your way around the edge to find a what gives you the best prying point. Obviously you don't want to bend the pan so if it doesn't give, try another area. You can also use a razorblade and cut the joint between the pan and tranny to weaken the bond even further (I've never had to do that myself).

GSGALLANT
07-20-2007, 04:43 AM
I use a putty knife (I think that's what it's called... It's flat, about 1-1/2" wide, and used to apply crackfiller to fill nail hole in walls). I tap it between the tranny and the pan with a hammer, and work my way around the pan until it comes off.

MTL_4runner
07-20-2007, 05:44 AM
I use a putty knife (I think that's what it's called... It's flat, about 1-1/2" wide, and used to apply crackfiller to fill nail hole in walls). I tap it between the tranny and the pan with a hammer, and work my way around the pan until it comes off.

Good call, I have used that in the past too and it does work well.

saulgoode
07-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Great help guys, thanks for all the suggestions, this gives me a little more assurance that I won't screw up the tranny pan.

another question, with my tranny filter having 183k on it is good to just clean the filter screen, or go ahead and replace it? I was planning on cleaning it, just want to get yall's ideas.

mkgarrison5
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
save the $$ and clean it up good. its all metal (screen)... no need to replace unless its broken. they arent that cheap. atleast where i come from they arent.

MTL_4runner
07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Great help guys, thanks for all the suggestions, this gives me a little more assurance that I won't screw up the tranny pan.

another question, with my tranny filter having 183k on it is good to just clean the filter screen, or go ahead and replace it? I was planning on cleaning it, just want to get yall's ideas.

Unless your fluid smells burnt or there is sludging on the screen or it is actually physically damaged somehow (very rare) you should be fine to just clean it off with some brake cleaner and reuse it again. The screen is a metal mesh so it's not like it will wear out anytime soon.

saulgoode
07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
save the $$ and clean it up good. its all metal (screen)... no need to replace unless its broken. they arent that cheap. atleast where i come from they arent.

Exactly why i was asking about that, There not cheap here either!