PDA

View Full Version : brake upgrades

cornrunner
07-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Greetings Yoters!

Kudos on the site! I was wondering how many of you use upgraded brake setups. I usually encounter the squeeks after 10k or so miles on OEM pads and rotors, but that's most likely due to a heavy brake foot. Also, I'd like to install some SS lines to get rid of that sponginess. But my real question is what kind of setups do you use, what are your impressions, and what would you recommend? I'm looking into Brembo blanks, slotted/drilled, cryo'd blanks and upgraded pads, not to mention SS lines as well.. On my previous 93 runner, I ran SS lines with NW cross-drilled and upgraded pads and that worked well and lasted much longer than the OEM brake setup. Any input is appreciated and manufacturer names and part numbers are even better. Keep in mind that I've got the SE rotors and would like the appropriate PN #'s for those.

Thanks, Ed

MTL_4runner
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Ed, welcome and maybe you can start by letting us know what you have so we can help you out.

cornrunner
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Sorry, forgot about the most important details. 03 V8 4x4 SE. Bone stock except for BFG ATs.

CJM
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Brembo blanks and hawk LTS pads are very good, if they can stop my T100; then your gonna stop the runner.

OEM pads are to hard, which is a problem. Squeaks are something brakes do no matter what really it seems, antisqueal shims are nice.

MTL_4runner
07-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Brembo rotors and either the Hawk LTS or Akebono ceramics should work well for you.
I don't have any P/Ns for the SS lines and hopefully Lance will chime in too for you.

Have you tried power bleeding the brakes too?
If not you might try that just to be sure that is not an issue.

Teotwaki
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Greetings Yoters!

Kudos on the site! I was wondering how many of you use upgraded brake setups. I usually encounter the squeeks after 10k or so miles on OEM pads and rotors, but that's most likely due to a heavy brake foot. Also, I'd like to install some SS lines to get rid of that sponginess. But my real question is what kind of setups do you use, what are your impressions, and what would you recommend? I'm looking into Brembo blanks, slotted/drilled, cryo'd blanks and upgraded pads, not to mention SS lines as well.. On my previous 93 runner, I ran SS lines with NW cross-drilled and upgraded pads and that worked well and lasted much longer than the OEM brake setup. Any input is appreciated and manufacturer names and part numbers are even better. Keep in mind that I've got the SE rotors and would like the appropriate PN #'s for those.

Thanks, Ed

I have an '05 SR5 4Runner with 47k miles, original brakes (pads & rotors), no squeaks or issues at all. The only mod has been s/s rear brake lines because of the lift.

expatoz
07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I guess I'm with Ed.

I replaced my front pads on my 04 SE V8 with OEM's because they were getting a little thin and were squeaking a bit at 50,000miles. Since replacing them, no problems in 10,000miles. I think the stock brakes are excellent on the SE. Can't really see the need for slots or drilled because degassing is not an issue (it's not a street racer) although if you drive thru water a lot, discs that provide better drainage can be some benefit.

cornrunner
07-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, fellas. I think my driving style warrants an upgade. I know it's not a sports car, but I think there's nothing wrong with a little "spirited" driving, as long as it's safe and within a trucks limit. Pulling passes on the 38 to Big Bear can get you on the brakes pretty hard. Like I mentioned earlier, I've had cross drilled rotors on my previous runner (32"s on a Downey twin Bilstein front setup) and they lasted much longer than the OEMs. It had a firmer feel that can probably be attributed to the SS front lines, had better braking that was likely due to the upgraded pads, and lasted longer, which I'm not sure whether the drilling had anything to do with that. I'm aware of the possible cracking problem with drilled rotors, so I'm not considering that option. Slotted? Maybe. I'm really interested in cryo'd rotors. There was an article in Petersens about cryo'd rotors and having rotors that last 2-3 times longer is quite appealing. So for now, definite upgrade plans include SS lines, that's it. A lift is in the future, so that'll be one thing I won't need to worry about. As for rotors, still undecided. Pads....probably the Hawk LTS. Haven't read any negatives about these. But I appreciate people's input and look forward to reading about other setups and impressions. - Ed

cornrunner
09-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I got around to getting the brakes done. The rotors had plenty left, so they were just resurfaced and I stayed with those. Purchased Hawk LTS pads and SS lines from Goodridge. After bed-in, I noticed the sponginess at the end of brake pedal travel was diminished and there was a better initial bite. Very occasional squeak but overall impressed and satisfied with the upgrades. When these OEM rotors go, I'll probably replace them with some Brembo blanks (if I can find them!) but stick with the Hawks. Thanks for the info, it led to some satisfying results!

Ed