PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for removing chrome strip along side of truck

EWAYota
07-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Anyone have any tips to getting the chrome strip off that runs along the side of some of the trucks/4runners? I know for one thing they're on there good, lol. Just don't know if I should try killing myself by trying to peel/pry it off with a long scraper, :chair: or if theres a solvent I can purchase that I can possibly try to pour behind it and get some of the adhesive to loosen. Maybe heating it up with a blow torch?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/ewayota/Truck%20Pics/IMG_0405.jpg

all_terrain17
07-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Try heating and pulling it off.

Dunno how thick that metal is, but I'd go with hairdryer first. A heatgun would probably work better, but I dunno anything about those.

Who knows what's under there though, you may end up wanting to put them back on! :D

Bob98SR5
07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
DJ,

If it were my truck, id take a heat gun on a low setting and wave it around a small patch near the back. My guess is that the adhesive is pretty strong, so be patient. The excess residue may take more than just Goo Gone, so I'd give a call to your local auto paint store for a stronger adhesive remover.

bob

EWAYota
07-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't have a heat gun so thats why I was pondering the blow torch idea. I guess if I hold it far enough away it should work... Bob, do you know anything about a adhesive remover shaped kinda like a mushroom? Think someone called it a mushroom head. Guess its kinda like a adhesive eraser of some sort. Guess I'm looking more for possibly the name of what it could be so I don't have to be talking about mushroom heads at the auto store, hahaha.

Bob98SR5
07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
DJ,

I would definitely not talk about mushroom heads at the auto parts store :gay:

as for the blow torch idea, man, i dont know about that either! im sure with a steady hand, you could, but if you messed up the first time and bubble up the paint, i owuldnt want to be you when you see that :confused:

btw, a cheap harbor freight type heat gun is about $20

bob

Cebby
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Rent a heat gun meant for paint stripping from a tool rental place (or maybe find a real hot hairdryer) if you don't want to buy one - Bob's got a good point though, the HF one is nearly disposable at $20. Once the chrome is off, use either goo-gone or WD-40 to get the adhesive off.

EWAYota
07-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Well it went alot easier than expected. The passenger side was already coming off, so I just took a propane torch and heated up the metal for about 10 seconds and it popped right off. Only adhesive out on the outer part. That came off with about 5 minutes of peeling with my finger. The drivers side I peeled off a corner with the back of a hammer, then heated it up for a few seconds and it came right off with the help of pliers.

I'll remove the rest of it off the truck later, just needed the rear off for a little hack job in the next few weeks.