PDA

View Full Version : 99 Coils installed.....a little uneven.....

BennyTRD
07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Well I put a set of brand new 99 Coils on a few weeks ago. Everything went well and the truck now rides alot better with the Tokico's. After I got everything installed I noticed that the front sat a little higher than the back,(about 1/8 to 1/4). After the alignment the next day, the front still sat a little higher. I thought a would put some miles on it and wait to see what would happen after the shocks had a chance to settle a bit before I posted anything. Now after about 1000kms the truck sits pretty level. However there still looks like a slight rake to the rear. And the front passenger side sits about 1/8" higher then the drivers side.
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/99_coils_2.jpg

I can easily add some air to the rear bags to compensate for that, but I'd like it to be even without the aid of the air bags. I double checked the spring seats to make sure they were where they were suppose to be. After I finished putting the springs on and having the truck on the ground, I followed Steve's directions and reset all the static bushings before I had the alignment done.

My question is, should I reset them all again to see if I can get the front level? Any ideas would be muchly appreciated guys.

MTL_4runner
07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I'd probably just order a set of the rear OME trim packers.
That should get the stance just right for you unloaded (near dead level) and then use the airbags under loaded conditions.

What are your fender to ground measurements in the front and back?

BennyTRD
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Went out and took some measurments in various places to get some consistantcy. They all came out to almost within 1/16 of each other so there all very close. Measurements were taken with a full tank of fuel, and 35 psi in the tire's

Front
D:35 5/8" P:35 11/16"
D:35 3/4" P:35 3/4"
Rear

Allthough the measurements show a very slight rake to the front, visually it looks the other way, to me anyway. Jamie do you know what you yeild for lift with OME Trim packers? I know there 10mm, but is that the amount you gain or the thickness of the spacer?

fenrisx
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Looks good to me... looks pretty level.

Depending on when I look sometimes it looks like there MIGHT be a slight rake to the front.. then later a very slight ones to the rear..

Most of the time it just looks level to me.. 265/75's?

rocktown
07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
That looks pretty level to me. If it's off that little, to most people it's not even noticeable. So far i've only done a 1" body lift and for some reason the front passenger side is about 3/8" higher than the front driver side. The problem is that i didn't take any measurements before i did the lift so i dont know if it was caused by the bl or there before i did the bl.

MTL_4runner
07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Jamie do you know what you yeild for lift with OME Trim packers? I know there 10mm, but is that the amount you gain or the thickness of the spacer?

Ben, I asked for measurements for exactly that reason; it's almost impossible to look at a picture and say if it is level or not because there's no perspective. The measurements tell the true tale and the ones you gave us tell me that the lift is right about where you'd expect it to be. Now if you add the OME 10mm trim packers in the rear, they directly add to the lift (unlike the fronts where suspension geometry will roughly double that number). So with 10mm trim packers on either side, you can expect the rear to sit about 36.25" on either side. That would be just about perfect IMHO.

Part number for those should be:
OME80PR10 - Rear Trim Spacer 10mm

Should look like that installed:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/ome_002.jpg

BennyTRD
07-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Hmmm....I'm gonna have to look into this. It would be nice to have a little bit of rake without using the airbags.

Bob98SR5
07-19-2007, 11:43 PM
benny,

take a look at this pic. does the bottom of your coils seat correctly into the bottom seat plate?

http://4runners.org/image/random/pay_coilover.jpg

if not, thats probably why your front end is higher than the back

bob

BennyTRD
07-20-2007, 07:31 AM
10-4 they are seatsed just like that. Here's a question, when I had the shop change the front springs and shocks for me, the guy didn't quite line everything up back to the way it was. The passenger side lower shock eye was turned a little so that I had to twist the assembly to get the bottom bolt back through. It was only out by 15 deg or so. Could that be why the pass side is a little higher?

MTL_4runner
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
10-4 they are seatsed just like that. Here's a question, when I had the shop change the front springs and shocks for me, the guy didn't quite line everything up back to the way it was. The passenger side lower shock eye was turned a little so that I had to twist the assembly to get the bottom bolt back through. It was only out by 15 deg or so. Could that be why the pass side is a little higher?

Nope, that's totally normal and wouldn't have changed a thing regarding the height you'll see when installed. Personally I think your measurements fall pretty much where you'd expect them to. I just like to have a little rake to the vehicle (esp with the super soft OEM rear coils since they tend to sit near dead level stock) so I'd just order the rear trim packers, install them and be done with it.

BennyTRD
07-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Well I think this will be the route I'll take. Thanks for your help fella's.

BennyTRD
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Jamie, I think that the part # you have is for the front coils.
OME80PF10 FRONT SPRING PACKERS - 10MM THICKNESS
OME80PR10 REAR SPRING PACKERS - 10MM THICKNESS

MTL_4runner
07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Jamie, I think that the part # you have is for the front coils.
OME80PF10 FRONT SPRING PACKERS - 10MM THICKNESS
OME80PR10 REAR SPRING PACKERS - 10MM THICKNESS

You're exactly right, I changed it in my post above so people don't get confused.

BennyTRD
07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Looks good to me... looks pretty level.

Depending on when I look sometimes it looks like there MIGHT be a slight rake to the front.. then later a very slight ones to the rear..

Most of the time it just looks level to me.. 265/75's?

Yep. Sorry I missed the post earlier.

BennyTRD
08-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Installed set of 10mm OME trim Packers today and I found exactly what I was looking for.

Here's a before and after comparison.
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/99_coils_8.jpg
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/OME_Packer_2.jpg

And Jamie you were actually right about the first part number you gave me. Except its for the front of an FJ-80. But amazingly enough, it's the same as the rear of a 4Runner. I guess thats why the front LC coils work well in the rear of a 4Runner too.

Part number's 80PR10 AND 80PF10 are one and the same.