PDA

View Full Version : Camp Wamp Volunteers

slosurfer
07-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I saw this on Pirate Wish I lived closer, sounds like it would be fun and rewarding. :thumbup:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595510

Camp Wamp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got this email from Camp Wamp, I went last year and really enjoyed helping out, it's basically a trail ride from Johnsville to Hawley lake, (up towards Blairsden,Ca)to either take the kids in or out, so I thought I'd post it up:

Dear 4 x4 enthusiasts:

You may have heard of Camp WAMP. It is a camp for kids with handicaps most of them in wheelchairs. It is held at a remote campsite that requires a sturdy 4x4 with low gears - stock Xterras, Pathfinders, 4Runners, pickups work great, CRVs won't make it unless lifted.

Why am I writing you? We need your help and your rig to get the kids there, the bus can't make it.
Camp WAMP is looking for 4x4ers willing to transport kids in wheelchairs and their counselors and all their gear on an hour and a half trek to or from camp in Plumas-Eureka State Park about an hour north of Truckee.

The dates for the treks are as follows:
August 4, Saturday at 12 noon bus at Plumas-Eureka State Park - inbound - need 12 more rigs
August 11, Saturday at 10 a.m. at Hawley Lake - outbound - need 18 more rigs
August 12, Sunday at 12 noon bus at Plumas-Eureka State Park - inbound - need 18 more rigs
August 18, Saturday at 10 a.m. at Hawley Lake - outbound - need 2 more rigs

If you would like to participate, please have space available in your rig for at least 1 camper and 1 counselor and some gear. We would like to make sure that everyone that participates has a great time, so we are going to ask for a little cooperation and information beforehand so we can plan ahead. If you are planning to go, please email me so I can add you to the list.

I hope this sounds like a fun and rewarding opportunity to help those less fortunate as we are. Plus you get to share one of your favorite things to do with a group that would never be able to have that experience without you. Your reward are the big grateful smiles plus lunch.

Please feel free to forward this email to as many 4x4 enthusiasts that you know.

I look forward to seeing you up in the Sierras helping these great kids.

Jay Fukushima
Transportation Coordinator
Camp WAMP

JFukushima@aol.com

Ric
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
woow, thats sounds freakin AWESOME.. I would be all over that, if I lived remotely close... doing a little wheeling, helping kids, seeing the smiles. that would ROCK, wish they had something like here...

YotaGirl
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
What a wonderful program! Maybe I can make it next year. I'm all booked up for this years dates!

CJM
07-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Damn if I were closer I would do them all, I have a special place in my heart for special needs children.

Ric
07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Chris,
is this something that takes place every year ? at the same time ?

slosurfer
07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Ric, I have no idea. I stumbled across the link on pirate. I was wondering the same thing, I would love to do that next year. Right now I don't think it is feasable for me, it is about a 8hr drive for me and the June lake trip is right after that. If I had the time I could try to link the two trips together but with the whole family I then lose the extra room for a kid and counselor and gear :( My wife actually thought it would be cool for me to go but we seem to be having a cash flow problem at the moment (joys of being self employed) Next year, it would be cool to plan for it early in the year. It would make a good trip for me and my son.

You could try to email the guy, I would imagine it is a yearly thing around the same time each year.

Ric
07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
yea, im pretty much in the same boat, not enough cash, and the timing is bad, ill probley email him, see about next year. i think it would be a blast.

YotaGirl
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Ric, keep us posted on what you find out. Maybe we can make it a UY service project for next year! It sounds like there are a few of us who are interested in helping out.

Ric
07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
will do, just sent him an email, ill let ya know what he says about next year.

slosurfer
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Ric, I am still contemplating trying to make it for the 11th and 12th. After 1 week with the inlaws at my house, it might be just what I need. LOL Also would be a good test and use of my trailer. I wonder if I can write off the gas money as a tax deductible donation. :headscratch:

slosurfer
07-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Ric, have you heard back from him yet?

expatoz
07-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Damn - I would love to be involved in this. I'm in Oz for those weeks in August. Damn! Next year? Thank you for posting this Chris.

paddlenbike
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Let me know if you guys change your mind. Audrey and I were thinking of helping out, but we would be even more encouraged if some of you were also attending.

Ken

slosurfer
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I know I could probably swing getting the time to go for the 11th and 12th, but unless something drastic happens in the next couple weeks, I won't have the funds for the gas. :( I'm really interested in next year though, much easier on the wallet when I can plan way in advance.

Ric
07-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Ric, have you heard back from him yet?

sorry man, no i havent, i sent him an email 2 weeks ago ??? i think it was, but havent heard anything back, he may be busy with last minute stuff. Ill write him again probley around Jan.