PDA

View Full Version : Considerations for calling something rebuilt..

Mister Willie
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if there is a standard in the automotive industry for calling an engine rebuilt. I know in aviation that we have 2 kinds of rebuilds for piston engines. A top overhaul in which the valves and cylinders (each one is individual) are pulled off and either new ones are put on, or everything is reworked on the original ones. Then there is a major overhaul, in which the case is split open and everything gets either new parts or the services required for the parts.

What I want to know is.. If you had a 22R sitting in a toyota vehicle and you started working on it.. What kind of work would you do or have done to call the engine rebuilt?

MTL_4runner
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
To me if someone said a rebuilt engine, that means you rebuilt the entire long block (heads, valves, pistons, crank, rods, etc). If you did less that then IMHO you should specify what exactly you mean by rebuilt and what things you did in fact rebuild.

SLC Punk
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
To me this is what it means:
Rebuilt short block
-Main bearings replaced
-Crank is "trued up" on a lathe
-New Connecting Rods, Pistons, and rings
-Cylindars trued or bored
-New Timing chain and gears
-New Oil Pump
-Front and rear main replaced

Long Block rebuild (short block + the following):
Valves re-seated (and replaced if applicable)
Head decked and new head bolts installed
*I am not sure if it includes a new cam though...

fustercluck
07-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Your 84 had a complete long block rebuild which included those services listed above. the machine work was done at Clegg Automotive in Orem, Ut. about three years ago. Here is a link to their contact info.http://yellowpages.heraldextra.com/Clegg+Automotive+Machine.327668.111665887.home.htm l.

They should have the documentation on their system under my name(my real name, not fustercluck...). I bought all of the bearings, rings, seals etc. from them. If you need them, I can dig up some pics of the build when I get back to the house in UT.

If you have trouble verifying the work, let me know and I'll call them.