PDA

View Full Version : Keeping ice frozen in the ice chest

paddlenbike
07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Let me preface this by saying I am not ready to drop $700 on an Engel refrigerator. I have a "7-day" Igloo ice chest that keeps ice frozen for about two days. I probably do everything wrong--I rarely have room for block ice, so I use two or three 7# bags of crushed ice and I open the ice chest frequently, allowing the cool air to escape. I do a good job of keeping the chest out of the sun.

So...I'm thinking I should start freezing quart-sized ice blocks. This should increase ice longevity over crushed ice and will take up less space than a 10 lb block.
Pre-freeze as many items as possible.
Possibly put beverages in a separate small ice chest to reduce opening and closing main ice chest.

What else can I do to get more than two or three days out of my ice? I would love to find a soft-sided thermal blanket to zip over my icechest to conserve cold air loss, but no one seems to make them and sewing my own isn't going to happen.

Help me stay :chill: :P

jimbo74
07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
i wnet on a long trip... i had all my meats frozen, and i put water for me to drink, as well as juices and froze them too... essentially making them block ice... my cooler is grey matel, and was left out in the sun the whole time, never had a problem, my stuff stayed cold all week, and i opened it all the time.... we were @ truckhaven, weather was about 80 during the day and 20s at night

slosurfer
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey Ken, block ice or freezing quarts of ice will help quite a bit. Also, like you said, freezing as much as possible.

Try to get your cooler cool before you load it. I usually get a 10# block of ice and stick it in the cooler the day before. Also, any drinks should be cold before the initial loading of the icechest

Having a small cooler for your drinks and snacks goes a long way towards keeping your ice in your main.

Also, daily draining of water will help keep your block ice longer.

By doing all this, I had almost all my ice left in my main cooler when I got back from DV. I bought one bag of ice while I was there and that was for my drink cooler.

AxleIke
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
When we run week long runs into the Utah backcountry, we use the blocks, rather than bags, as well as run a layer of dry ice under the actual ice. This will not last forever, but will keep your ice from melting much at all until after the dry ice is gone. Good for 6-8 days in a regular cooler, nothing special.

waskillywabbit
07-26-2007, 07:32 PM
ARB Freezer/Fridges rock. Worth every penny IMO.

:guitar:

CJM
07-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Dry ice, I love that stuff.

Texas Jim
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
you could find a supplier of surplus Arrmy stuff and get a wool blanket and wrap the Ice chest when not in use . Yes ice blocks are the way to go, and the idea of a smaller cooler for drinks and such will also help. TJ

paddlenbike
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I will give these ideas a try, thanks! I was looking through our kitchen and found some of those silicone baking pans and thought those might work well for freezing small blocks of ice.

I was opposed to using dry ice before, but perhaps for week-long trips it would be worth the extra effort to find some in my area. So how do you keep the dry ice from mixing with the regular ice and forming a fog machine? (That made for some great college dorm parties, but I want to avoid this inside the 4Runner!)

Robinhood4x4
07-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Personally, I don't agree with draining the water theory. It takes a lot of energy to change the temperature of water and that ice water is at 32.2 degrees, same as the ice. The sun has to heat up the mass of the water and the mass of the ice. If you dump the water then the sun only has to heat up the mass of the ice.

I picked up one of those cheap coleman peltier 12V ice chests so I'm starting to experiment with that. You're not supposed to use ice with it and it won't keep the temp below freezing. Blue ice won't stay cold for more than a day and it uses too much electricity to keep it running overnight. But I've modified mine by installing a drain. This way I think I can use ice if I drain it before the water gets too high for the electronics and I can run it during the day when I'm driving.

Other than that, I make sure everything is frozen or cold before loading the ice chest. I'll also put a fleece blanket over the top.

d0ubledown
07-28-2007, 12:45 AM
i scored some medical grade freezer packs. these things stay frozen and keep the cooler very cold for days. put a thawed steak in a ziplock on this thing, and it'll freeze within 12-18 hrs, in a cooler outside. going to get some more to put in the tent trailer. theyre awesome...about 9"X12"X1.5" high...and got em for about $15 dollars each.

slosurfer
07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Personally, I don't agree with draining the water theory. It takes a lot of energy to change the temperature of water and that ice water is at 32.2 degrees, same as the ice. The sun has to heat up the mass of the water and the mass of the ice. If you dump the water then the sun only has to heat up the mass of the ice.

That does make sense. I have noticed that my ice keeps longer if I am able to keep the water out of it from the beginning, this is on my main ice chest that also usually has things in it that I don't want soggy. However with my small chest that I use for drinks and snacks, I leave the water in till I am able to get more ice. It does keep pretty cold, especially for drinks and stuff that doesn't mind the water.

Robinhood4x4
07-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, keeping things dry is another story. I made a 2" elevated platform to keep things from falling into the water.

BruceTS
07-28-2007, 11:26 AM
The water is a far better conductor than air. If your doing an expedition type run where you moving to a different camp each day the water sloshing around in the cooler will melt the ice quite fast. Without the water, everything sits tight and the ice can last quite a while. I used to think leaving the water in the chest was better, but from experience, draining the water made the ice last longer.

Robinhood4x4
08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I asked this question on an engineering forum that I frequent where the best and the brightest in Heat Transfer could analyze this problem. After days of analysis the consensus is: Drink the beer before the ice melts. :spit:

http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=193500&page=1

Basically, they don't really know either but they seem to be erroring on the side of draining the water. I'm going to run some experiments over the weekend and see what I come up with.

wifesaysimadumbass
08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
i've always done ice blocks with dry ice as the regular ice melts the dry ice will refreeze it the main thing i know that works well is to keep your cooler packed as you take cold stuff out put other stuff into replace it so that the cooler is always full seems to work well on long surf trips

Texas Jim
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
You could also make your own block ice. Take old milk jugs that you haven't recycled. Freeze water in them and use them for blocks. Each gallon jug of frozen water will weigh 8lbs. TJ

surf4runner
09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
my cooler will keep ice(w/water) for 5 days in the heat w/ frequent openings (kids) doing what was suggested.

maybe try a better cooler(w/thicker insulation)
a seperate cooler for stuff thats not necessary to access 10X:coffee: a day also helps