PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

04 Rocko Taco
07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Okay guys, I was returning from my vacay in South Carolina last nite/ this morning. Been driving for roughly 4 hours with two restroom stops, no issues.
Then i stopped about 1:30am at a BP about 40 miles south of ATL, filled up the Taco, and went to crank it up, it turned over MAYBE half a revolution, tough to tell, then the starter just clicks. Not like dead battery clicking, but LOUD fast clicking.
Knowing I have heard of this type of issue being solved with the proper application of sudden force (Read: Hit it with a BFH) - I tried it out with my 4 cell mag, which is tough to swing in the engine bay, but alsa, and unsurprisingly, no dice, still clicking.
Thinking perhaps the Bendix or some other oddly named part was stuck in the starter somewhere, I decided to try to jolt the tranny and flywheel/starter.
I get Cort in the driver seat, put it in neutral, and puch her off a little bit, get it going 3-4 miles per hour, and have Cort snatch it into Drive. My thoughts were the truck would lurch to a stop, and jolt the stuck starter...as it turns out, the truck does not stop (any ideas on this?? I thought it should have) but continues to roll as normal, she hits the brakes (having also expected the truck to stop) and I had her put it in park, and try to start it, sluggish, but it started. I drove it another hour home, backed it into the driveway, and turned it off, tried to start it, it started 18 times in a row. a little sluggish each time, and a little time to start each time, but it did start, I didnt risk driving it to the office today though, I drove her truck, but I would really like to get on this ASAP, so any ideas? suggestions?

Starter Contacts?
Bad Starter?

Also any ideas on why the truck didnt stop when pulled into drive? Or am I just wrong in thinking it should have?

Thanks guys!!

-Chris

mastacox
07-27-2007, 07:18 AM
You can't roll-start an auto tranny; there's mistake number 1... :hillbill:

As for the problem, I would check battery voltage and charging first before anything else. It sounds like it might be not getting enough charge from the alternator, or not holding enough juice. Also inspect/clean the electrical connections on the battery and starter.

Cebby
07-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Starter Contacts?
Bad Starter?

Also any ideas on why the truck didnt stop when pulled into drive? Or am I just wrong in thinking it should have?

Thanks guys!!

-Chris

Bad starter or contacts would = no clicking IMO, it would be a case of turn the key for silence. How old is your battery? Even if it shows 12v, it might not have the CCA available anymore to turn the starter.

As far as the truck stopping in Drive - shouldn't happen. It will roll in any gear. Park makes it stop suddenly :D. You were on the right track though, if the starter was stuck, rolling the truck in Drive would move the flexplate to free it.

humanoid
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
When was the last time you changed the battery?

04 Rocko Taco
07-27-2007, 07:53 AM
You can't roll-start an auto tranny; there's mistake number 1... :hillbill:
Wasn't attempting to roll start, just to jar the stuck starter.

04 Rocko Taco
07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
You were on the right track though, if the starter was stuck, rolling the truck in Drive would move the flexplate to free it.

Ah, Thanks!!

MTL_4runner
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, you can't roll start with an auto so that's out.

Often you can reach down and turn the main crank pulley by hand just slightly and that should be enough to free a stuck starter but I doubt that's the issue if you hear it clicking. Can you jump the truck and get it started? Check the charging voltage with the engine running after (you should see at least 14+ volts with all ascessories off....if not, there's an issue). My bet is either your battery or alternator is toast (my money would be on the alt from the symptoms you gave) Make sure to check both though because I've seen a case where a bad battery also toasted the alternator so sometimes the two can be related.

04 Rocko Taco
07-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks, I'll charge up the batt for now, and clean all connectors and check cabling, and then have the shop check out the batt and alt, appreciate it!!

callmej75
07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeh it sounds like your momentary stop let the battery pick up a little to turn it over. Whereas the alternator wasn't charging while you were running and the accessories was draining the battery. My bets are alternator. A fast clicking usually lets you know you don't have enough charge in the battery to turn the starter over. Take it to the auto parts store and have them check the alternator for charging. Thats free...

Robinhood4x4
07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Sounds like contacts to me, clicking and all. But also check the battery cable connections at the battery and also all the other connections for the charge system.

Contacts are cheap and easy to fix.

callmej75
07-27-2007, 10:50 PM
What steered me away from contacts were the repetitive, fast clicking when the key is pressed instead of just one click. I could be wrong though..

MTL_4runner
07-28-2007, 08:29 AM
It's possible that it's the starter contacts, but you'd want to eliminate the other two (alt & battery) right away anyway. The stop and no restart when getting gas is often a sign of a low charged battery (either from a dead battery or a dying alternator), but again, those are easy to check and eliminate quickly.

waskillywabbit
07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Take it to a shop and have them check the alt and the batt...if those are fine your starter needs some new contacts it sounds like. Mine just clicks sometimes, so I hit it with a hammer and it fires right up. :D

:guitar:

GOLDS
07-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree with what everybody is telling you about checking battery and alt first. There is also another option that makes sense. In the starter solenoid there are two sets of windings, pull in and hold in. If the hold in winding is intermittent open circuit then it will cause a fast strong clicking noise. Never heard of this on a Toyota yet, but I've seen it on other cars.
Just a thought...

good luck
Chris

04 Rocko Taco
07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help, turns out battery was the culprit!!! Replaced it this afternoon, and its golden, Im gonna get in there and clean up some connections and check the grounds and stuff, and make sure the alt is in good shape!! Thanks again!!

reggie 00
07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
like mentioned earlier, it sounded like low CCA's. Did the battery have a bad cell or two?

BruceTS
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I've seen where a low battery has caused starters to fail sooner, due to the solenoid not getting full pressure, burnning the contacts. Just a little heads up if starter issues arise.

04 Rocko Taco
07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Bruce!

tacoclimber
08-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Did you get this figured out, Chris?

gpcollen
10-29-2007, 08:38 AM
So...is a one click and no start more symptomatic of the solenoid contacts?

Had a one clicker a ffew months back and ordered the contacts but no symptoms since...until this AM. Tried to start it 4 or 5 times and got one-click. Then it tried once, almost like a weak battery; next time it fired up like normal.

Optima Red Top is one-year old, alternator is stock with 140k on the vehicle.

Should I stop at auto zone and get the battery and alt checked or just head straight home and replace those contacts??

MTL_4runner
10-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Should I stop at auto zone and get the battery and alt checked or just head straight home and replace those contacts??

If they can test them both right in the vehicle then why not but more than likely you're looking at needing to replace those contacts.

Tanto
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
If your battery leads are the OEM ones, the positive side is kinda split and with mine, corrosion from offroading slowly pushed it up the terminal until the top "ring" stopped conducting and I had the exact same problems.

At first I didn't know what the problem was and I was in a very similar situation to you that required me to turn the key to the ON position and repeatedly tap the positive end until i heard all the bells come on before I could crank it up. I replaced my terminals which I thought solved the problem, but later on my battery died so maybe it was a sign that I missed....

Tanto
10-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Just to add, the OEM ones are junk. Marine terminals are solid and very stout that you can find at major hardware stores.

04 Rocko Taco
11-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Did you get this figured out, Chris?

Hey CJ - don't worry, a year later, I'll let you know, I got it buddy!

Small_words
11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
GPCollen, what's the scoop? Fixed or no? I've replaced (2) starters on mine and both had your indications.