PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch Options

Old Man
07-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Well it is time for a new clutch for my 4runner (93 4wd V6) and there are so options I am not sure what I really need. The 4runner is mostly a daily driver but is used in the mud and mud trails. I live in southern Louisiana so no rock crawling. I have looked Wab Fab's kits, Marlin Crawler's and Downey's. I would really like to read what you guys are running and what your opinions are.
Thanks

89trailrunner
07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd go with Marlin Crawler. There's no slippage, so it takes a little getting used to, but if you ride your rig hard through the mud it won't burn up like others...

I've got a friend who just put in a Centerforce and my bro just put in a Marlin, and in my opinion the Marlin wins hands down.

waskillywabbit
07-30-2007, 05:42 PM
If it is a daily driver get the OEM style clutch that we offer.

:guitar:

tortis
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
i agree with wabbit. marlins hd clutch setup is great for off road, but in heavy traffic that requires alot of clutch work, it will wear you out. i replaced my setup and went back to oem because i don't pull a trailer or off road anymore. if you go mudding alot, yes, marlin hd would be the way to go.

anthony1
08-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I run Marlin clutch and HD pressure plates ....in LA traffic. my left leg is fine...:)

tortis
08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
i am thinking maybe marlin sent the 1600# instead of the 1200# HD. everybody says that they notice just a little difference between oem and the marlin hd.

Lilrichey85
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I am looking to get a clutch to. I have had my eye on the new Marlin Crawler Super Heavy Duty Ceramic clutch kit. I have been known to be a little bit hard on a cluth out on the trails. Im also going to be looking at Wab Fab to see if they have anything too. Any help in the decission will be great. Also how hard is it to replace?

Elvota
12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't have direct experience with Marlin Clutches, but I did install a Centerforce II clutch.

Just recently went back to a stock clutch and really feel the difference in pedal pressure. I like the softer pedal and have heard great things about the stock clutch life.

But I guess time will tell. :hillbill:

Old Man
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. I ended up going with a Marlin Crawler 1200lb clutch. The clutch worked great after the install.

As for Lilrichey85 question the clutch is not that hard to install but very time consuming, but with the body lift you have it will make it easier.

When I removed the old clutch the pressure plate was split into two. Has anyone ever seen this before? I bought the 4runner a year ago and do not know how old the clutch was. It has been 3000 miles since the install and know it is getting hard to get into gear and the clutch feels weak again. Again anyone heard of the clutch disk breaking into two? If so what makes it happen.

Thanks for the help.