PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power, shaking and blue smoke

EWAYota
08-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Just got home from work. On the way home, doing 60 on the freeway, all of a sudden I feel a loss of power. I drop the truck into 4th, then back to 5th. Still sluggish. Popped it into 3rd got back to speed. Got into town and hit the first red light, my stick shift it shaking all over the place. Get to a residential area and pull over real quick. Got blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe and some out of the muffler that has a crack in it.

Any idea what this could be? I'm gonna try and get a hold of a buddy of mine and have him take a look at it ASAP, but would like to know what you all think. Did I just drop a cylinder?

ChickenLover
08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Kinda sounds like you lost spark in one cylinder. Make sure your wires aren't arcing on any metal. If they look alright, pull your plugs and inspect them. Sometimes spark plug electrodes will break off. Take a look at the inside of your dist cap too.

fustercluck
08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
If the stick is shaking youe motor is probably missing on one or more cylinders. Blue smoke generally means oil burning. White smoke sometimes means water penetrates cylinder/s.

Is the smoke obviously blue or is it closer to white. When you smell the exhaust, does it smell like a rotten pumpkin?

MTL_4runner
08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Pull the plugs and you should be able to see which cylinder is the culprit by looking at how each is burning. Then after you should run a compression test on the cylinders to get a baseline PSI for testing the problem cylinder. If that checks out fine, then the issue is probably a misfire due to ignition issues.

EWAYota
08-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, looks like the HG might have popped. Pulled the plugs and the #1 plug was wet and covered in carbon chunks. I'm starting to think my 22re is cursed.
We're gonna tear it down and decide what needs to be done sometime next week.
We did however take care of the vacuum hose mess today.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/ewayota/Truck%20Pics/IMG_0840-1.jpg

all_terrain17
08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Good luck man. I decided to hold off on tearing down my leaky pile; scared it won't start when it's all back together. I hate working on the engine :shake:

EWAYota
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
This is the 2nd time in less than a year that the engine will be torn down. I tried last time to do it solo and I'm mechanically retarded. I got it running but had a issue with the timing chain and valves. Ended up taking it down and having a shop finish it.
This time, I'm fortunate enough to have a Toyota guru helping me every step of the way this time.