PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen 4Runner Rear Window Woes

amgraham
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, my rear window finally quit working. It wasn't the smoothest operating thing before but now it binds after it gets about 8 inches up. I was playing around with it a little bit and now it won't go all the way down so I can't open my tailgate. Looking in there it seems one of the plastic guides has been broken for awhile and it feels like it is binding on the driver's side. Does anyone have any info for me? Writeups on rebuilding the mechanism? Tips? Sources for the parts I need?

Thanks for any and all help!

amgraham
08-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Help? It's raining :(

Cebby
08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Can you pull the panel off of the inside? If you can, there are wires on both the left and right sides near the latches that are the sensors to tell it whether you can open the tailgate or not. I unhooked mine the last time I had mine apart so I could run the mech in and out while I lubed it. It also facilitated me removing the glass to get in there and mess with the mechanism.

I'd get some pics, but I don't have battery in my 4Runner... :shake:

amgraham
08-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I have the panel off. I'll look for those wires and see if I can maybe just pull the mechanism and look it all over. It's binding hard so I'm hoping once I can actually see what's going on it'll be easy to determine.

Cebby
08-06-2007, 06:40 AM
All my problems have been related to the bottom track mounted to the window (and the amount of rust on it and debris in it)

amgraham
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
All my problems have been related to the bottom track mounted to the window (and the amount of rust on it and debris in it)

Yeah, that's where it seems to be missing a piece of the plastic track. I'll get some pics when I get it out of there.

amgraham
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, I messed with it today and got the window up. Seems to me like the inside of the tailgate is bent toward the outside of the truck and is binding up the gears or something. It's like 100 degrees out so I just took the mechanism loose to get it out of the bind and rolled it up. I'm going to try to pull the window and mechanism when it cools down some and try to figure out how to bend this thing back into shape. At least for now the window's up and I can lock the truck.