PDA

View Full Version : Not Idling

91_4x4runner
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Well this is damn special. My truck won't idle now. It's missing really bad.

I had been in process of replacing all my spark plugs earlier this weekend and had gotten all but one of them. Replaced it; went smoothly. I started the truck and it did the typical cold start idle, around 1200 rpm's, no problem. I shut it off and decided to clean my air filter. Again, no big deal, pulled it out, knocked it off and stuck it back in. Went to start truck one more time to put it in the garage, and it wouldn't idle. The engine was still cold and should've been idling high, but it died in about 4 seconds, 900-500-200-200-stall. I opened the hood, checked all the spark plug wires that I had been near, all still connected. Disconnected and reconnected for good measure. Tried again, stalled even quicker this time... about 2 seconds. I cranked it again, revved it above 2K and held it just fine, but when I let off, it immediately died. Best I can figure is a bad spark plug or an air leak. I checked all the hoses going to my intake hose, nothing missing. Any ideas?

91_4x4runner
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Alright, through process of elimination, I replaced the spark plug I had just put in with the original... it still ran like a piece of crap.

I started thinking to myself, damn, what did I do? I started looking closely at the intake hose... it's swiss cheese. I used the poor quick fixer-upper in me and wrapped it in duct tape, which seemed to be an act of god to find.

Cranked it up, It runs like a champ.

Time to do an ISR mod I guess. Anybody have pointers for that?