PDA

View Full Version : Nissan to launch diesel SUV in Japan 2008

Good Times
08-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Posted Aug 6th 2007 6:12PM by Sebastian Blanco
Filed under: Diesel, Nissan
Nissan is going head-first into the diesel market. After the announcement about the company's new clean diesel technology that might pave the way for Nissan diesels in America, Nissan announced today it will launch a diesel version of the X-Trail SUV in Japan some time in fall 2008.

This diesel SUV, according to Reuters, could "revive the all-but-dead diesel passenger car segment in the world's third-biggest auto market." As in America, diesels in Japan suffer from an image problem (dirty, smelly), but new vehicles that meet the new emissions standards would be clean and attractive to a lot of buyers (love those high MPG numbers). A diesel X-Trail would be the first new Japanese diesel passenger car in years. Currently, the only diesel passenger car for sale in Japan is the Mercedes E320 CDI sedan. Honda says it will sell diesels in Japan after 2009.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2007/08/nissan-x-trail.png

[Source: Reuters]

link: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/06/nissan-to-launch-diesel-suv-in-japan-in-2008/

Now this is definitely interesting news. Though it's a Nissan, I hope Toyota wakes up and decides to make some diesel 4runners! Now only if they make some quality diesel SUV's here for us in the US of A... I would love to own an 80/100 with a diesel...

Good Times
08-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Nissan has announced that a clean diesel engine will be offered on its Japan-market X-Trail SUV. Based on the M9R engine co-developed with Renault (it's marketed as the 2.0dCi in the French automaker's vehicles), the Nissan version will use new catalysts and engine management developed in-house. No specifications on Nissan's version of the engine have been made public yet, but in Renault guise it's good for over 40 US mpg in the combined cycle. Nissan also issued a separate release that focused specifically on its development of a SULEV-standard clean diesel (more on that at AutoblogGreen). It's pasted in full after the jump in addition to the brief release about the diesel X-Trail. Along with bolstering its diesel offerings in Japan, Nissan is paving the way for diesel powerplants in the US, as well, with a clean-diesel Maxima slated for 2010.

[Source: Nissan]

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/08/x_trail_press_31lo.jpg

Good Times
08-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Is this the first sign of the diesel invasion due in the states? I know Toyota is working with Hino on using their diesel technology so it'll be interesting to see what Toyota drums up soon. I suspect the new war of vehicles will be hybrid vs diesel... :)

Cebby
08-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I suspect the new war of vehicles will be hybrid vs diesel... :)

And diesels will win that war. The cost v benefit of hybrids is still upside down.

traxman25
08-07-2007, 07:39 AM
I want to see a Diesel hybrid! Not that I'd fork over the money for it though. lol

It's really awesome to see these companies coming out with diesel stuff. Toyota is working on a diesel Tacoma for the US too!

MTL_4runner
08-07-2007, 07:04 PM
And diesels will win that war. The cost v benefit of hybrids is still upside down.

They'll win the war as long as we're using NiMH battery packs.....a switch to Li-ion could change all that.
It will be one heck of a war and it's all good news for the consumer.

A diesel hybrid is the ultimate combo.....I'm surprised VW hasn't attempted something yet.

Cebby
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM

They'll win the war as long as we're using NiMH battery packs.....a switch to Li-ion could change all that.

But, using Lithium Ion batteries (at current prices) will make the margin wider, not narrower. I'm sure a large part of using NiMH batteries is cost control at this stage in hybrid marketing.

MTL_4runner
08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
But, using Lithium Ion batteries (at current prices) will make the margin wider, not narrower. I'm sure a large part of using NiMH batteries is cost control at this stage in hybrid marketing.

I wasn't sure if you meant price or power efficiency....the margin you mean is also based on current gas prices I assume. The next wave of Li-ion batteries will probably also integrate plug-in capability and backup power generation so if we factor it all in it may not be as bad as one might think. The Li-ion will certainly raise car prices until volume drives that back down. The NiMH was just more suitable (price, amperage limitation for Li-ion technology, etc) for easy adoption to automotive use (which is why all hybrids use them now).

Cebby
08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Yep, I meant solely price at this point. As much as we all say we want to help this movement, the dollars and cents of it just doesn't really add up yet. What I meant was at current gas prices, the point at where you break even on cost (hybrid gas $ savings vs cheaper conventional high mileage vehicle) is still to far out. With Li-Ion batteries costing even more than NiMH, the break even point is even further out. Overall, we (as Americans) just haven't embraced the hybrid notion yet. Diesels are huge in Europe, I don't understand why it took so log to bring them here (on a grander scale than they have been). I guess it helps if there are enough diesel fuel pumps. Many places around here don't even have diesel yet (some have just added it recently though I've noticed)

Performance is another issue - Toyota (with their Lexus brands) is doing awesome things to dispel the poor performance rap that hybrids have gotten in the past. I think they are largely responsible for lifting this stigma.