PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Lift Right

YotaFun
08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
My birthday is coming up at the end of the month and coming into some additional cash.
What this means is that I will be scratching my original plan of running just the Toytec OME 3" coil suspension lift with 1" diff drop spacer alone with no shock upgrades or anything...

Now do start getting all excited and wetting your pants thinking I am going to SAS...

Not now...

Also, do not think that I am going with the Sonoran Steel System 1 Lift.
As much as that is a good lift, I don't like the idea of having and inch of rear rake.
Which would make you think I would go for System 7, but I want 3" of lift, not 2.5".

So after reading about all the different possibilities of lifts I have come up to the following set up for front and rear.
I also have a few questions to go along with each set up.

Front End:
Am I correct in saying that Toytec is the only industry to make a full 3" Coil lift for the front end WITHOUT spacers?
If there is one please someone inform me.
With that said here is the planed front end setup:

Toytec OME 3" lift front coil kit
Toytec front diff drop kit 1"
Tokico Treckmaster RT Front Shocks
Sonoran Steel Shaved A-Arms

In the end shipped to me this kit would cost me $665.
Some questions about this setup:
Are there extended brake lines for the front?
Are the extended brake lines needed?
Also Sonoran Steel had limit straps, what is the point of a limit strap?
I googled but got no answer.
Do I need the limit straps?
Is there anything else I may be missing for this front end setup?

Rear End:

FZJ-80 Front Coils
OME Rear Shocks OME-N80
Sonoran Steel Super Soft Bump Stops & Daystar
Adjustable Trac/Pan Hard Bar
Emergency Brake Bracket
Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines.

WITHOUT figuring the FZJ-80 coils, this setup to my door would be $563.
Some questions about this setup:
How much do the FZJ-80 Coils run?
Where can I acquire these coils?
Is there anything else I am missing for this rear setup?

As you can tell I have done my research,
With prices and all.
So I just need a few of these questions asked so I can make my lift complete.
Thank you!

MTL_4runner
08-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Front End:
Am I correct in saying that Toytec is the only industry to make a full 3" Coil lift for the front end WITHOUT spacers?

They show needing spacers with their 3" lift because it should be using 882's for max coil lift (which are quite stiff by the way). There's no OME coil up front that gives you 3" of lift with no spacers that I am aware of right now. Also you'll need to worry about sagging later if you use a heavy bumper or are going offroad and flexing them heavily. I'd really suggest that if you want to be that high, you use the Sonoran Steel Tundra setup up front and then do a body lift for the extra 1-2" you want over 2.5". Doing the entire 3" lift with the suspension on an IFS truck is not a wise move.

Are there extended brake lines for the front?
Yes.

Are the extended brake lines needed?
Depends what you have and how hard you're going to flex it....not if you use the Tundra setup.

Also Sonoran Steel had limit straps, what is the point of a limit strap?
If you're using longer shocks like OME's with a topout spacer, the limiting straps will keep you from destroying your CV's.

Do I need the limit straps?
Not if you're going with the Tokico Treckmasters up front.

Is there anything else I may be missing for this front end setup?
What about swaybar quick disconnects?

Rear End:

How much do the FZJ-80 Coils run?
Call Sonoran Steel, Northridge Toyota or Toyota of Dallas and check.

Where can I acquire these coils?
See above.

Is there anything else I am missing for this rear setup?
Looks good otherwise.

Answers in red above.

Seanz0rz
08-09-2007, 09:36 PM
honestly, i would do just go with system 1.1 from steve at www.sonoransteel.com

it was totally worth the cost, and steve has great customer service.

YotaFun
08-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jamie.
So I would presume the reason that most place offer only a 2.5" lif tis because of the CV issue.
The Diff Drop would not solve this issue?
Just curious.
Where can I obtain the extended from brake lines? I can't seem to find them.
As for the disconnects I have WabFab quick discos waiting to go on.

Thank you for your opinion Sean.
What do you think of the rake?
I just don't feel comfortable with it.
I hate when I see a Truck or SUV going down the road looking like it is ready for the drag strip and not the trails...

Seanz0rz
08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
i think it looks great, and i will be doing a write up on adjusting the shortened headlight pattern. take a look at the pictures in my sig. ill try to get some more for you tomorrow when its not dark.

it performs awesomely offroad, very good. 3 inches up front is CV suicide.

a warning, for the first week or so, the rear will be up about 5 or so inches while the rear coils settle down. it scared the crap out of me, but i thought it was great once it went down to its 3.5 inches. as for the front, you can add another 3/8 spacer on top of the one that comes with the kit to get an extra .5 inches of lift up front. again, cv's will suffer, but if you want to, its your choice. the diff drop helps, but it still can impose extreme angles for your cv's.

i did alot of research before i bought mine. sure i could have pieced it together from different sources. things like the rear swaybar relocation brackets and ebrake extender i would have to make, and i have no experience doing that stuff. this kit has been extensively tested, all the parts work together, and their quality is just spectacular.

for the rake, i really hate when the front end is about a foot higher than the rear. looks like a dog dragging its ******* down the freeway. i think the rake on the vehicle makes it look a little more aggressive, not that its that noticable anyway. at least mom says so. haha.

edit, so apparently there just arent any good pics of what it looks like on flat ground. i promise to get some for you tomorrow.

here is one that i have, quality isnt great, and im on a hill, but you can get an idea by the curb under the truck, the 1.5 inches of rake over the 105 inches of the wheel base, you barely notice it.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC01919b.jpg

YotaFun
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
The one pick I can tell of yours on flat ground Sean just seems to be extremely raked.
Was it taken when you first put the lift on?

EDIT: Thats the pick I saw Sean.
Your also talking to someone who has OCD (at least I think I do...)
So I can see the rake very clearly, and I am sure I would feel even more weird driving like that.
Christ I was driving to the beach after I had the trans fluid and t-case, and both diffs fluid change, the shop I took it too also balances the tire pressure in all fours, well the screwed up on the right front rear which was down 5 psi, if i could feel that much of a difference, imagine how I would feel pointing down at the road lol!
Just voicing my opinion about it, I greatly appreciate your input trust me!

Seanz0rz
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
if it is in the lift section, yes, i had 2 inches up front and 5 in the rear. scared the crap out of me. it finally settled down to its approiate 3.5 or so.

get on aim or something. so we can talk.

YotaFun
08-13-2007, 09:54 PM
After careful consideration and getting reviews from others.

I have decided to just to the complete SS System #1 Setup.

Now to just save my own cash on top of what I get for b-day and such.

God willing by the end of September I will be able to get this lift here and on.
If I manage to do it before then, I might even go on a wheeling trip end of September, to sort of close out the summer.

Bighead
08-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Good choice. What changed your mind about the rake?

YotaFun
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Good choice. What changed your mind about the rake?

Well I talked to a few people that are running this setup, one being Sean from here, and they are happy with its performance, and said after the initial settling of the rear springs it is not that bad.

I also looked at pictures of the set up, and its starting to warm up to me. I didn't really notice it as much when larger tires where on, and after the springs have settled.

And later on the shaved A-Arms will come in handy once I can get my hands on a full set of LC Rims.

Plus reading more and more into lifts available, Sonoran Steel just keeps catching my eye more cause it offers parts in the lift that I know down the road I will need.

Also, just as a little 'giggle' note, the stiffer ride will make mom more inclined to take her car when we need to run errands, and save the miles on my own. (I am already due for my next timing belt change in another 2K, I only got the truck 2 years ago with a little over 70K on it lol!)

xcmountain80
08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jamie.
So I would presume the reason that most place offer only a 2.5" lif tis because of the CV issue.
Just curious.

I hate when I see a Truck or SUV going down the road looking like it is ready for the drag strip and not the trails...

I'm running a SS lift, though my is slightly different 3" front and 3.5". I hate the raked look so I added another set of the dront top out spacers. I was warned of cv wear and tear but suffered non. I did as a preventative method a year later add limit straps. Heres mine right after the lifthttp://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Ocala%203-31-06/P3010073.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P2250059.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P9200357.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/IMG_0585.jpg

Aaron

YotaFun
08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Jamie.
Just curious.

I'm running a SS lift, though my is slightly different 3" front and 3.5". I hate the raked look so I added another set of the dront top out spacers. I was warned of cv wear and tear but suffered non. I did as a preventative method a year later add limit straps. Heres mine right after the lifthttp://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/Ocala%203-31-06/P3010073.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P2250059.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/P9200357.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/IMG_0585.jpg

Aaron

Nice.
If I really really cant stand the rake I might add the second set of spacers,
but for now,
I figure with a bumper down the road, a 2 spares, and all the other gear I will have back there, This might be best.

xcmountain80
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah I have a bumper 9k winch and full bud built skid, add in the engel 45 freezer and tools, plus sliders and all th other crap she still ride pretty level, I have a new pair of springs to put on the rear I just have yet to. Just make sure your studs are long enough in the event you want to add another spacer, though you might not want the extra stud sticking out. Though with all the load it still rides nice and even.

Aaron

xcmountain80
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P8033319.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/xcmountain/4RunnerMods/P8033313.jpg

Aaron

YotaFun
08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
ooooo SOOO niiiceee.....
I can't wiat to get my lift
i just have to save save save,
mom is agreeing to go 50/50 with me on this lift for my b-Day, with money form other gracious aunts, and then me actually taking my time going everywhere and not going out as much to take little joy rides, by the end of september i should have it he he he.

xcmountain80
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Save save, speaking of which I need to do that to. I have to put my wife through a doctorate a mere $86k

Aaron