PDA

View Full Version : 99-02 Rear Window Switch Backlight

garrett
08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I swapped in the center dash piece from a 99-02 4Runner, but the rear window switch no longer illuminates when the rest of the dash lights do.

I called a local dealer and the guy says all the diagrams he's looking at shows a switch with a non-removable bulb :shake:

He told me to bring the bulb in and he'll try to find an equal, but I dont know how promising that sounds....

Does anyone have a part number for the bulb that illuminates the rear window switch?

Lee
08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
i bought my truck with 44K on it and that button never lit up :(

im used to it now so i just never cared.

randver
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
i got my 99 about 3 months ago and did not know that button lit up. since mine does not.

DNAhilux
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
suckers...mine lights up. the bulbs are removeable back there but they are the bulb/screw in base type. I suggest just poppin the old one out and bringing it there, as that is what i did with my ect/defog lights, and it still took about 3 tries for them to get the right bulb. The schematics they have for the bulbs is quite below par.

garrett
08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah I looked through wiring diagrams and the repair manual and didn't see bulbs anywhere for anything.... I guess I'll just take it in and stand there while they fool around on the computer... Sighhhhhh :roll:

BruceTS
08-11-2007, 10:31 AM
dang now I'm gonna have to see if mine lights up..........never noticed.......

THANKS :flipoff: now I'll be thinking about this all day, so I can check it this evening......

ecchamberlin
08-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah me to. Never knew it was supposed to light up.

fenrisx
08-11-2007, 03:07 PM
^What everyone else said... didn't know it lit up. :\

The only light on my dash that does work is the AC button. The rest of those lights are blown.

ecchamberlin
08-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Okay I lied. I just checked it and it does light up. Just never paid any attention to it I guess.

4RunAmok
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
The bulb is replaceable..

The part number you want is 90010-01042, this is the Long post bulb w/green color cap. This lights the rocker switch for the rear window.

I ordered 5 of them :)

the part number for the short post bulb w/green color cap is 90010-01041, this lights the buttons for rear defroster and ECT switch (if present).

Order some of each, in case I got them backwards.

Word to the Wise: DO NOT lose the white switch posts for the rear window switch, you will have to buy a COMPLETE switch assembly. Yes, I speak from experience.

paddlenbike
09-07-2007, 08:29 AM
It always bothered me that the Rear Diff Lock switch is not illuminated. Then I pulled the switch and found that the bulb is there and the terminals are on the switch, Toyota just never bothered to hook it up.

So here it is peircing through the darkness on a warm summer night: :D
http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/e-locker/Diff_switch_light.jpg

Fo_SheeZy
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
The bulb for mine went out about a month ago.. I was looking for a blue one to replace it, but had no luck.

KZN185W
09-09-2007, 02:43 AM
paddlenbike,

Your instrument cluster seem different. also the clock is located below and the diff lock switch is on the right.

Why is that so?

Thanks,

paddlenbike
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
paddlenbike,

Your instrument cluster seem different. also the clock is located below and the diff lock switch is on the right.

Why is that so?

That pic was from my 1994 Xtra Cab pickup with the e-locker swap. The switch is located to the left of the steering wheel on my 3rd gen 4Runner. I plan to wire it to illuminate like on my old truck as soon as I get time.