PDA

View Full Version : New 2007 Camry - Problems?

MTL_4runner
08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Has anyone heard of any issues with the new Camrys. I was doing some reading about them online and read that the new transmissions are having trouble finding the correct gear, there can be some major hesitation on the engines and some have failed outright.

Anyone have one or heard anything about this?

MTL_4runner
08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Looks like there is alot of bad feedback on these.....just type into Google "2007 Camry transmission problem" and read away on the deluge of info that appears. Quite sad frankly that Toyota is having such quality issues at this stage of the game.

TSB's it suffers from:
TSB EG056-06 (obsoleted by EG056R-06)
TSB EG056R-06 (recalibrates/reprograms engine)
TSB TC010-06 (replaces a solenoid; fixes downshifting problem)

After reading all this I decided to steer clear of the new Camry until the bugs get worked out on later versions.

Good Times
08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
wow i'm dumbfounded by all of this. sad. are these still made in japan or here in the states now?

MTL_4runner
08-25-2007, 04:04 AM
wow i'm dumbfounded by all of this. sad. are these still made in japan or here in the states now?

They are all made in Georgetown, Kentucky USA.....including the hybrid which doesn't suffer a similar flaw. I really think this is just attributed to a design issue more than an assembly problem (since the current TSB fix is to reprogram the ECU to shift differently.....which is likely just a temporary fix.....it also seems to drop 1 MPG in doing so and people complain the engine's power is greatly diminished).

So the bottom line is, if you want a 2007 Camry, make do with less trunk space and get the Hybrid.
......or wait til next year and see if locking the engineers up in a room fixed the 2008 model year.

JWBehm
08-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Weird I work at a Toyota Service Department and I havent seen anything like that. I have noticed that they are very underpowered.

MTL_4runner
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
The week I rented a 2007 Camry myself, I definately noticed the car had a major lag in the trottle when you get on the gas lightly or try and feather the throttle at a stoplight. Then if you push too hard it goes into serious downshift mode and gives you way more response than you were asking for and forces you to subsequently slam on the brakes to keep from hitting the car in front of you. It's completely unacceptable and Toyota definately needs to fix this issue.....hopefully it's gone with the 2008's. :shake:

Deltron
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
My dad told me that in a mag he read, it said that more of the camry is made in the u.s. than the mustang.

MTL_4runner
12-15-2007, 05:38 AM
My dad told me that in a mag he read, it said that more of the Camry is made in the u.s. than the mustang.

I believe it.

I think in the coming years, if the US dollar remains weak against other currencies, you'll see alot more auto companies setting up new plants in the US not just to get in under NAFTA but also to cut costs and export. Just the other day I read Fiat was setting up a new Plant in Tennessee.

arjan
12-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Do they still offer the 4cyl 5spd? A friend of mine has a 2003 with that combo and it's actually quite nice.

Deltron
12-15-2007, 10:16 PM
NAFTA, IMO is the worst thing Clinton did in office. With regards to Fiat in Tennessee, I bet 85%-90% of Americans don't even know Fiat exists. I must say of all the companies that are hopping the pond, Fiat woulda been my last guess as to foreign companies opening up a plant in the U.S. This Camry problem is starting to remind me of the movie Gung Ho w/Michael Keaton.

arjan
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Nafta is actually a good thing for the US and will get more valuable as time goes on. It give the US equal access to Canadian recourses.
Canada cannot subsidize it's own industry by suppling them with cheaper gas, oil, water or other recourses to help them out. We have to sell them at market value to level the playing field.
That alone becomes a disadvantage for Canada as time goes on imo.
If Hillary or Obama want to renegotiate or else withdraw, the Canadian government should show up with a withdrawal paper ready to be signed imo.
McCain seems a bit smarter that way it seems and acknowledges the importance of a good neighbour over a couple of votes.