PDA

View Full Version : Building an Elk Rig, Dreams/Practical

Cheese
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Partially as a thought experiment, partially because this is as big a resource as I care to call on, I need to bounce some ideas.

My father has been hunting elk in Montana a half dozen or so times near my Grandmother's property with a guide. So far he has gotten two good bulls, one 6x5 one 6x6. He has done some hard hunting on horses and riding, some a little more relaxed on foot at lower elevation.

In a fit of enthusiasm, and as extra bait to write and defend my thesis, Mom has cleared Dad and I for a week in Montana in search of the mighty Wapiti.

So, I would like to put together a rig for this purpose and hopes of returning there as I get a real job and have time.

I have a .243 and 7mm Remington. The 7 has a 26" barrel, making it unwieldy though the cartridge is all right.

I would like carry ease, no more than a 24" barrel but not ultralight weight so I can actually have some recoil weight. Preferably an off the shelf piece, I have a Remington and a Browning with preference for the low throw on the Browning.

So, Kimber Montana in 300 WSM? Browning Composite Stalker in .375? An unknown Remington in 338?

Texas Jim
08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
So Cheese, You have cut all the wood like a fine grasshopper should. Now of to a wonderful hunting environment, with Dad for some fond memories!!

I will have to throw my vote toward the Browning in 375 if you have any preferences to any of the weapons you have mentioned you seem to have the most for this. is it familiarly that swings you vote this way? If this is the case the familiarity will lead to success out were it counts. Also the ammo is of large enough nature to take care of what ever you see. Remember familiarly will lead to less missed shots out where it counts... TJ :bowdown:

Cheese
08-15-2007, 11:54 PM
That is part of the justification, if it is a new weapon adding it early and putting rounds through it.

Rounds that hit kill more animals than misses.

I have a Browning and a Remington. I have hunted with Brownings, Remingtons and an OLD Mauser.

bigwapitijohnny
08-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I found that my 'equation' for hunting the wapiti has been the round and how well you can place it. The bull that I got two years ago was the only bull that I saw, and had a clean shot at. He was 468 yards away. I was prone and had all of the time in the world. I used a 7mm Hornady 154 grain interbond, and that did the trick. There is nothing better than an elk steak off the grill...Best of luck with your hunt, hope you guys tag out :thumbup:

Regards,

BWJ

Texas Jim
08-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Cheese, I just saw a great weapon, it's a Remmington 700 BCD 30.06 with a VX-II 6-18x40mm Adj.Obj. Target Rifelscope. Leupold quick release scope mounts. Extended shade, windage, & Elevation clicks. No scratches, mint. 800 +50 shipping or your best offer. This can be seen at www.HKPro.com Forum in the Non HK firearmes for sale, the lister is a guy with the handle of Binary. TJ