PDA

View Full Version : Battery types? Wet, Gel, AGM

rocket
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I bought a "Smart" battery charger a while back and it has 3 settings: Wet, Gel, and AGM. Using Google (and the charger manual), i've read ALL the battery information out there but i'm still confused.

Can anyone explain the 3 types and use other known terms? thanks

Seanz0rz
08-20-2007, 11:12 PM
wet is your common lead acid battery that has been around forever. those are the ones you buy at walmart, sears, costco, etc. you have to make sure the water level is correct, etc.

optima is an example of AGM, or absorbent glass mat. they are sealed, vibration resistant, etc. im sure youve read up on that.

sealed lead acid batteries or gel cells, are commonly found in equipment with starters, such as generators. they are small and require a constant lower current to charge.

for you, if you dont have an optima, wet is the setting you want. if you do have an optima, then agm is the setting you want.

im sure some chem engineer or electrical engineer will come in here and explain more. but thats just the basics.

rocket
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Awesome reply! Thank you for taking your time. Thats exactly what i wanted to know and confirm.