PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Gulch and Last Chance Canyon. 10-28-07

xonetruthcrewx
08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
*Updated just for Charles*

October 28th is when this is going down. Pretty much, be there or be square. Both trails are moderate with difficult options. I have done Last Chance numerous times and Nightmare once, good times are guaranteed to be had.

The meet up spot will be at:

Primo Burger
16862 State Highway 14
Mojave, CA 93501

I will be there around 8am to get some breakfast. Good eats for sure. Lets leave Primo around 845. The trail is about 25 minutes from this meet spot. From there, its on like Donkey Kong!

Here's my phone number just in case anyone needs it. Ya know, if your running a little late or something. 661-972-0610

~Attendees~

*Colin, aka "xonetruthcrewx"
*Charles, aka "Calrockx"
*Gabe, aka "Papa_Smurf"
*Bruce, aka "BruceTS"
*Bob, aka "Bob_98SR5" - 75% sure he's coming.
*Lance, aka "Good Times" - As long as the POS is finished he will be there. :thumbup:

wifesaysimadumbass
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
where is this?

YotaGirl
08-25-2007, 09:48 PM
These trails are just north of California City and northwest of Randsburg. These sound like pretty cool trails. If we don't go to Calico maybe we'll head out that way!

xonetruthcrewx
08-25-2007, 10:26 PM
What JnJ said. Red Rock area.

I was also thinking, we will be in the desert and on BLM land at times. Would anyone be interested in turning this into a wheeling/shooting trip. We could all bring out our guns and shoot some targets. Probably wouldnt be a good idea if there is a big turnout, but if its on the smaller side it might be fun. Just a thought.

wifesaysimadumbass
08-26-2007, 08:00 AM
is there someplace to camp out there.... i know it's just wide open desert but i could probably come out the night before

YotaGirl
08-26-2007, 04:37 PM
You can camp for free on BLM areas. Sometimes you can find primitive sites that are already established.

xonetruthcrewx
08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
There is Recardo campground in Red Rock. 50 campsites and 12 bucks a night. Like JnJ said, you can camp anywhere you want on BLM land.

Red Rock State Park website. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=631

YotaGirl
08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Hate to be the one to bring bad news but Nightmare Gultch is closed to all vehicle traffic. I was reading through my book and noticed that it mentioned closures during the first 15 days of the month. I made some phone calls to see what the story was and the Regional Headquarters in Lancaster told me that the trail is closed indefinitely. They said that Last Chance Canyon is still open, though. Just wanted to give a heads-up....

Edit: Opal Canyon Road might be a good alternative to Nightmare Gultch. It has a difficulty rating of 5 out of 10 and meets up with Last Chance Canyon.

xonetruthcrewx
08-27-2007, 09:36 AM
What? The state website says nothing about that. "Nightmare Gulch Closed Feb-June for raptor species sustainablility. Open to pedestrians & equestrains only: July-January,first half of month. Open to motor vehicles: July-January, second half of month." That is directly off the website i posted above. Hopefully the preson you talked to is retarded. When did this supposedly happen? I know of groups that drove through Nightmare at the end of 06'. Just dosent make sense. I think the Red Rock ranger station would be a better place to contact.

Red Rock Canyon State Park Visitor Center
(661) 320-4001

or

Mojave Desert Information Center
(661) 942-0662

I will call them later on today. If someone gets to it before me, cool, post up what they say. Hopefully it was bogus info you got. I really want to do Nightmare.

YotaGirl
08-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I called the 0662 number this morning. I hope she was just retarded. She told me it has been closed down for awhile. She acted as though I should have known this. What ever. I will call the Red Rock Canyon Visitor Center and see what they say.

xonetruthcrewx
08-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Edit: Opal Canyon Road might be a good alternative to Nightmare Gultch. It has a difficulty rating of 5 out of 10 and meets up with Last Chance Canyon.

Opal Canyon is alright, some good scenery but fairly easy. Only like 2 difficult sections though it. One called the "dump bump" which is a 40 deg decline that goes into a 25ish deg incline which you have to turn right out of at the same time. It can be tricky. You can definitely get yourself into a bad situation. First time i went through it i got some carnage on my passenger side rear bumper and got myself into a very tippy situation. A spotter would have been nice. If you go up it, you have to have a rear locker.

I still want to do Nightmare though. Check out these pics of a Land Rover group run through Nightmare at the end of 06'. Simply amazing. http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/2248851#117329551

xonetruthcrewx
08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I am 40 minutes from Red Rock. I am about to drive out there and see for myself. Everything they are saying just dosent make sense. Especially when i see other people that ran this trail just before the seasonal closure.

YotaGirl
08-27-2007, 09:55 AM
OK I just called the Visitor Center and she said the trail is open or will be (it's closed 6 months out of the year) by October. The info I got from the other office was incorrect. The visitor center said that there was a landslide that blocked part of the trail and that we might want to have someone pre-run the trail before the 28th. If someone goes at the beginning of the month, they will have to walk in because it's closed to vehicle traffic. Nightmare Gultch is back on!! :D

xonetruthcrewx
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
See, i knew there was something wrong about the info you were getting. Thanks for making all the calls though. I stayed home sick from work today and its taking me a little longer to get going today. Haha. I will definitely pre run Nightmare.

I was just looking at the calendar and i think i will pre run it on Sunday, the 23rd of September. If anyone wants in let me know and we will head out. Thats like 5 weeks before the planned date of Oct. 28th, so that will give people ample enough time to fully plan things out. I would rather pre run it closer to the actual date of the trip but i dont want to walk it, so that leaves me to doing it at the end of September.

YotaGirl
08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm just glad everything got straightened out. When I talked to the first lady and she told me everything was closed, I was shocked! Usually we hear about indefinite closures.

I'll check my calender...maybe I can pre run with you.

Jenn

Aaron
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
that trail looks like fun. i might have to hit it up with you.

xonetruthcrewx
08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
For sure. I'm definitely looking forward to this run.

xonetruthcrewx
09-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Well the trail is open and clear. I ran it yesterday. We randomly decided to head over there from work. Got off early, only worked 8 hours. Haha. I did see about 5 or 6 spots that had road blockage, but trails have been made around them. Its truly an amazing trail, the scenery is incredible. Cant wait to get back out there. Heres some teaser pics.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0083copy-1.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0111copy-2.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0123copy.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0129copy.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0153copy.jpg

YotaGirl
09-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Can't wait! I planned my Calico trip for the weekend before so I could go on this run!!! :D

slosurfer
09-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Oh man! I have got to get there one of these days.

onetruth, are those pics from last chance or nightmare, or both? That is some awesome looking terrain. :thumbup:

xonetruthcrewx
09-23-2007, 10:49 AM
The pics are from Nightmare Gulch. Last Chance Canyon is fun but not as near scenic. We are going to run up Nightmare and down Last Chance for this run. Its gonna be good times for sure. Hopefully there is a good turn out.

Seanz0rz
09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
if the weather is good, and the truck is running with my carpc and other fancy things..., ill be there.

zombie
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I hope that you guys have an idea of how lucky you are to live near and be able to drive places like that. Would be an amazing trip. Long drive from Ontario Canada though.
If I left now would I have to tell my wife?

calrockx
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Colin, why don't you be a real trip organizer and list in the first post who's confirmed and who's maybe for this trip. :flipoff:

That said, I'm in.
See you soon, sugar.

xonetruthcrewx
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Whatever butter nuts. But just for you i will update the first post.

calrockx
10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Well you know, I saw how well that pismo thread is organized, and by golly, I like it.

xonetruthcrewx
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Well though luck. This aint no Pismo run. This trip is organized by a foul mouthed, tattooed, gun carrying son of a bitch. :clap:

No one ever wants to come to the runs i try and set up anyways, so whats the point? Haha. Your coming though and thats all that matters. Cant wait to see you. :gay:

xonetruthcrewx
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Original post updated again with an "Attendees" list. So if you are planning on coming out, post up so i can update the official list. Trying to make good old Chuck proud here. Ya know?

A old Audi friend of mine might also come out in his 70k dollar Range Rover and get "jiggy with it" if you know what i mean. He recently bought a pair of oversized MTR's for his stockers along with some sliders and skids and said he might take off the 23's for the day and come out for some wheeling fun. We'll see.

YotaGirl
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey Colin, Justin and I are still in. Looking forward to it!

Bob98SR5
10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
collin,

nice meeting you and the misses on saturday. re this trip: im about 75% in.

bob

xonetruthcrewx
10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it was good to finally meet you Bob. Hope you can make it out for this run. Looks like theres going to be a good turn out.

Seanz0rz
10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
i want to go sooo bad but im moving the old man the weekend after, so this weekend is spent packing him. it will nice to finally get rid of that smell...

get lots of pics for me guys!!!

BruceTS
10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll be doing this run fer sure

YotaGirl
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's my phone number just in case anyone needs it. Ya know, if your running a little late or something. 661-972-0610

Pretty sure this is for Justin and I... :shake: We'll be there on time for this trip. :D

xonetruthcrewx
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Haha. Nah, it wasnt directed towards you. Hell, Charles was later than you. Just throwing it up there in case.

Good Times
10-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Colin, add me in as a tentative. Gotta finish the pos first :)

xonetruthcrewx
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Only 4 days left. Weather is supposed to be in the upper 70's, should be one hell of a time. No excuses not to be there.

BruceTS
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
but but but........ what if???????

This trip I should be having a co-pilot..........

xonetruthcrewx
10-24-2007, 10:33 PM
No excuses, especially for you Bruce. You need to lead the way in Last Chance and encourage us to do things in our truck that we normally wouldnt. Haha.

Casey Likes Metal
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll be riding along with Charles.

Still in the process of getting mine trail-worthy again.

YotaGirl
10-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Bad news...Justin and I are not going to be able to make it this weekend. I just noticed another leak yesterday on the 4Runner. Looks like it might be from the same area as the main seal. We'll have to check it out...might be the oil pump. Anyway, if by some miracle we get it fixed by Saturday night, we'll let you know. Sorry...we're really bummed to be missing this run. :(

xonetruthcrewx
10-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Bummer. Hopefully a miracle happens and you can make it. This is gonna be a good one.

calrockx
10-27-2007, 10:50 AM
So, halloween and all...are we dressing up for this run? ha!

xonetruthcrewx
10-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah. Your going as a douche bag right? :flipoff:

calrockx
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
well i wouldn't want to steal your costume, so nah.

oh, colin...

http://calrockx.com/etc/pics/forums/_other/Spelling-Blackboard.jpg

xonetruthcrewx
10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Haha. Dude, i know. Sh*t just slipped my mind. Been working way too much lately and not getting near enough sleep. Like 45 hours in the past 3 days.

Seanz0rz
10-27-2007, 05:29 PM
well i wouldn't want to steal your costume, so nah.

oh, colin...

http://calrockx.com/etc/pics/forums/_other/Spelling-Blackboard.jpg

pwned!

enjoy!! gets lots of pictures! think of me lifting boxes and packing crap that isnt mine when you are having fun!

xonetruthcrewx
10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
If anyone wants to go shooting tomorrow, bring out your arsenal. I am bringing some out and my friend thats coming with me is bringing some of his. If the group wants to, we can stop somewhere random out there and if not, we are going to find a spot afterwards. Right On.

calrockx
10-27-2007, 07:29 PM
can i bring my watergun?

xonetruthcrewx
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
That might be a good idea. You never know where a fire might pop up these days. In fact, i was held up at work yesterday and ended up working a 15 hour day due to staying late and having to fight a fire. A Hawk went phase to phase on a 66kv line and turned into a fireball, then dropping to the ground lighting the field on fire. It was pretty gnar.