PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and Rotors

mkgarrison5
08-22-2007, 07:03 AM
hey guys whats the consensus now on tacoma/ 4 runner brake pads and rotors? everyone still pleased with Hawk pads with Brembo blank rotors?? if so where is the cheapest place to get them? also about hawk pads, arent those the ones put out bad brake dust? thanks fellas btw i have an 02 tacoma 4door 4x4 v6

mike

04 Rocko Taco
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I posted this over on YT also, but I love cross posting as much as anyone, so I'll answer you overe here too!! :) tee hee :tongueout:

Auto zone pads...I think they use Duralast, are lifetime warranty. Yes they wear out a little faster, and are a little dustier..but you only ever have to buy one set....ever.
You buy it, install them and wear them out, buy the next set, install them, return the wore out ones, get your money back. Not a core. ALL of your money...so on and so on and so on forever. As easy as front pads are on Toyota trucks, the labor to change them is NOTHINg to me when compared to price savings. I got way more free time than free money.

Erich_870
08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm interested in the same thing.  Where is the best price for Hawk pads and Brembo rotors?  Rocko, I like your idea, I just don't have an Auto Zone up here  :tongueout:

Erich

mkgarrison5
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
haha i got busted by rocko! thanks for the replies. as far as hawk pads and brembo rotors check this site out i just dont know which rotors to go with the cheap brembo or the 62.99 brembos

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/products/products.php?year=2002&make_text=toyota&model_text=tacoma&category=brake&subcategory=brake_disc&part_name=&sort=0&uni=1&limit=0&price_range=&uni=1&brand_name=brembo

97Limited
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I have the Tundra Set-up on my Runner with ceramic pads

Seanz0rz
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM
yea i figure i need new brakes, the stock rotors are warped to hell, esp after that last wheeling trip. but, for basically the cost of new calipers and brake likes (i have to replace rotors and pads anyway...) i can upgrade my brakes to something much much better, what SHOULD have come from the factory, with the 199mm calipers from the tundra, or even the bigger 231 (is that right?).

my only hope is they will clear the steel wheels i have

i also have to add in the part about changing out your brake lines to stainless steel braided one. you will notice much more improvement. and go ahead and do a complete flush of all the lines as well. that brake fluid is probably as old as the truck.

mkgarrison5
08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
no i am not upgrading to a larger pad or whatever... i just want to know which brembos to get lol here is the link.. do the cheap ones fit a 4 door 02 tacoma 4x4??

04 Rocko Taco
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Just get the cheap Brembo Blank rotors. I wouldn't even mess with vented.
YES they do help in some applications, but brake pad technology has come along, and the gases that used to cause pad float are almost nonexistant these days, and as for ehat dispersion, your not creating enough heat on your brakes to justify it. If your running ceramic pads and full float race setup brakes on a 600 hp race car trying to drop 180+ mphin the corners, sure vent and crossdrill away...

Otherwise, just go with quality Brembo blanks.

IMHO - best bang for your buck on brake upgrades is stainless steel lines, they help keep fluid pressure up and constant, and help give you more feel and feedback as to what your brakes are doing.

I would do new Brembo rotors, whatever pads you choose (there are different grades of pads - but always the cost vs benefit argument), stainless steel lines, inspect calipers, Verify no leaks in system, and bleed until you get clean fluid (basically a system flush). Thats what I would do, and probably will before long.

mkgarrison5
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
so the brembos for 45$ apeice would work fine? they were trying to sell me the 62.99 ones... go figure... by the looks of them, none in the picture are drilled all are blanks

Seanz0rz
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
the ones for 45 look different than the ones for 63. i would go check and see what you have. from what i remember on the front of mine, the 63 dollar ones look to be a closer match. im not sure the difference.

mkgarrison5
08-23-2007, 05:28 AM
are they worth the 63$ ?? anyone have any issues with brembos? thanks fellas

04 Rocko Taco
08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Brembo makes serious stuff. Now whether or not they are worth it, thats for you to decide man. How bad are what you have? and how much quality do you need?

mkgarrison5
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
my current rotors (assuming they are toyota) bought my truck with 53k miles on it and it has 95k miles on her now.. they MAY be the orginal rotors lol.. i dunno. they dont look too bad. maybe i can get them turned but i honestly do not know how to tell if rotors are shot to where i have to buy new ones.. the brakes are smooth, no shaking no nothing. i see tiny goove type things on the rotors but thats it.

04 Rocko Taco
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
They are probably okay, but while your in there, have them turned....Pep boys fdoes it for like $6 or something...

If they are to thin, they won't turn them, and then you'll know to get the Brembo's. :)

mkgarrison5
08-23-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah i am going to get the autozone- PFC lifetime pads for 50$ and have the rotors turned and the pads put on for 75$.. not too bad of a price.. plus i dont have pepboys near me..

04 Rocko Taco
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
What would the price difference be to JUST turn the rotors?

Putting pads in a toyota is UBER simple.

I can (in my 04 Double Cab) go from tires on the ground, change pads, and get tires back on the ground a tourqued in uner 28 minutes. :) (That includes set up time for the brake quiet stuff on the pads)

mkgarrison5
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
i dunno, i just assume to let someone do it for me. its 75$ to turn rotors, install pads, and check the back brakes and adjust them if needed.. not too bad... i have no idea but i can learn how to do the brakes myself if i had something to go by. its just one thing i never learned to do bc i had friends that volunteered for free.. but i know longer hang out with those fellas so i am stuck either learning or paying lol.

04 Rocko Taco
08-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Not trying to talk you into it, but if you'll drop me a PM reminding me, I'll send you a copy of the brakes section of the FSM this evening, it SUPER easy.

mkgarrison5
08-23-2007, 12:22 PM
ill do it. the least i could do is read it and talk myself into it hahaha..

MTL_4runner
08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
i have no idea but i can learn how to do the brakes myself if i had something to go by.

This should be all you need to do both the fronts and rears on your truck:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/maintenance/brakes/

You might consider the Tundra upgrade up front later when you change the pads again.
The difference in how the brakes react is just amazing.