PDA

View Full Version : Help please my transmission is leaking!

mYnAmEiSmUdD
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi. I recently changed my clutch about the beginning of summer.

I got under my truck today and noticed that i am leaking transmission fluid from the rear of my transfer case. Right where the rear drive line hooks up to it.

I am wondering if there is a seal there that i may have destroyed during disassembly or reassembly. The only other thing that i can think of is that i put to much gear oil in there and its spitting it out the only way it can. If i remember right i put in about 3 quarts. The amount listed in an 86 factory repair manual.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!
-matt

fustercluck
08-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Yup, there is a seal in there that is relatively easy to access and change. You'll need to remove the driveline, remove the large nut that secures the flange, slide the flange off of the tail shaft, and you'll see the seal. Pry out the old seal and replace, lube the seal and reverse the process for reassembly. The whole thing should take less than an hour with a ten minute soda pop break.....:hillbill:

I can be more specific with instructions, but I just woke up and am more motivated to seek the men's room right now...

fustercluck
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Well the only warning I can give is that the flange nut will have a detent stamp which keeps it from loosening while spinning.

In the pic below, 4Crawler demonstrates that spot. It is in the 4 o'clock position on the nut in his pic. This particular one has been tapped open or ground open to aid in releasing the nut. When I do it, I'm too impatient to fiddle with tapping the detent away from the shaft, so I just use a pneumatic impact wrench and spin it off. It never has damaged the shaft or the nut when I do that.

For good measure, be sure to lube the seal at it's outer edge to minimize friction while installing and after installed, I apply little lube to the actual seal surface to reduce the potential for damage while reinstalling the flange. This really is a simple procedure.

Parenthetically, you will have a small amount of gear lube leak out when you remove the flange and more when you remove the seal. I just stuff a clean rag in the orifice so I don't have to wallow in the oil......not that there's anything wrong with that. :hillbill: :flipoff:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/Images/PinionColor.jpg

fustercluck
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't have time to find it right now, but 4Crawler talks about this very service on his illuminating site.....he is the man.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/index.shtml