PDA

View Full Version : Front driver's side clunk when turning

JB_96LTD
08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

I am having a clunking noise that is becoming a problem when I make turns (left or right) and drive upon a slight incline or bump, as an example, an entrance into a parking lot off of the street. It sounds like metal to metal contact. The noise does not take place when turning on level ground and can only hear it on the driver's side front. I have checked the sway bar endlinks and they look fine. I thought I had the steering stops greased good also. Any ideas what this could be?

xcmountain80
08-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I've got the same problem, I've given up. I have no idea, I thought and looked and thought some more still no idea what the hell the deal was. I know the pass side coil rubs the spindle when flexin.

Aaron

Bob98SR5
08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
is it one single clunk? or a snap? have you checked your CV boots for tears? that is the most common symptom/source of that kind of noise. that is, a torn cv boot that has lost almost all of its grease and the resulting noise from the lack of grease

neliconcept
08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
is it one single clunk? or a snap? have you checked your CV boots for tears? that is the most common symptom/source of that kind of noise. that is, a torn cv boot that has lost almost all of its grease and the resulting noise from the lack of grease

that was my thought however, wouldnt it clunk going right, left and straight? dunno if he has the noise going straight.

just my thoughts

Seanz0rz
08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
are your tires contacting ANY plastic or metal surface? what i like to do to find rubbing spots is to coat with mud (which is fun in the process) and then drive it around and see where the dried mud falls off.

JB_96LTD
08-28-2007, 05:46 AM

I haven't checked the cv boot yet (I can see that being a possible problem). It is more like a metal to metal clunk just on the front drivers side. I don't notice this noise going straight at all, just when I turn left or right going over a bump I will hear a "clunk, clunk, clunk" until I reach even pavement again.

MTL_4runner
08-28-2007, 06:19 AM
How are your ball joints and wheel bearings?

Try jacking up the vehicle and moving the tire on that side around in all axes and see if you can replicate it.

JB_96LTD
08-28-2007, 06:54 AM
How are your ball joints and wheel bearings?

Try jacking up the vehicle and moving the tire on that side around in all axes and see if you can replicate it.

How would you inspect the wheel bearings? I have had the upper ball joint inspected a couple of months ago at a local suspension shop in trying to find the suspension squeak I was having (different problem). They told me the upper ball joint looked fine and greased it up really good. I will take time though to jack it up and move the wheel around at the different axes points to see if I notice anything.

Cebby
08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Is the clunk at full lock?

Tanto
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Have you removed your coilovers lately? My thoughts are that if the top nuts are loose that the compression/rebound motion is slapping the top plate against the retaining bracket.

randver
08-28-2007, 07:50 AM
my 99 is doing it too. i need to replace my rack bushings so untell i do that im blaming the noise on them

JB_96LTD
08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Is the clunk at full lock?

The clunk is the loudest and more pronounced at full lock (left and right turn). I will say that I can slightly hear and feel it in the floor also under slighter turns of the wheel over bumps, etc.

97Limited
08-28-2007, 08:45 AM
my 99 is doing it too. i need to replace my rack bushings so untell i do that im blaming the noise on them

I second that!! Steering Rack Bushings!! My 97 does the same

JB_96LTD
08-28-2007, 09:16 AM

I second that!! Steering Rack Bushings!! My 97 does the same

I do have a poly set of steering rack bushings in the garage if thats what the problem is....

97Limited
08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I do have a poly set of steering rack bushings in the garage if thats what the problem is....

Throw them in! It will eliminate one of the Options!!

04 Rocko Taco
08-28-2007, 10:33 AM
sometimes its so hard to figure out what makes the noise that its easier to figure out by statrting with whats NOT making the noise. :)

randver
08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
wheres a good place to get the rack bushings

Bob98SR5
08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
i replaced my steering rack bushings but that was not the source of my clunk. my clunk was from my cv's not having enouhg cv boot grease

steering rack bushings: try wheeler's offroad, though they were slow with fulfilling my order. if you are going ot do the SRB's, might as well do the end links and sway bar bushings. they will ask you to measure the diameter of your sway bar. i did, but it still did not fit so i ended up getting the stock toyota ones which fit nicely as it should

MTL_4runner
08-28-2007, 01:04 PM
wheres a good place to get the rack bushings

I got mine from these guys......very friendly and helpful.

04 Rocko Taco
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Which guys?

Bob98SR5
08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
wheelers offroad

04 Rocko Taco
08-29-2007, 05:12 AM
Thank You Bob!

JB_96LTD
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted you to know that my problem with the driver's side clunk is fixed! :clap:

I took the 4Runner to my local shop and they said that the nut on the main bolt that connects the upper control arm to the frame was backed off a bit allowing the control arm to move back and forth a bit enough to make that noise. For those who are having the same symptoms check out that bolt/nut connection!

Seanz0rz
08-29-2007, 10:27 AM
you know just last night i was reading this and though, god thats just like my friend's problem with his ranger. ended up being something with the UCA, but i never found out what.

JB_96LTD
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
you know just last night i was reading this and though, god thats just like my friend's problem with his ranger. ended up being something with the UCA, but i never found out what.

I guess this can be a pretty common problem on IFS vehicles?? I am happy that it was such an easy fix! Only cost about $20.

randver
08-29-2007, 12:16 PM
ty i will look at mine after work today

04 Rocko Taco
08-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted you to know that my problem with the driver's side clunk is fixed! :clap:

I took the 4Runner to my local shop and they said that the nut on the main bolt that connects the upper control arm to the frame was backed off a bit allowing the control arm to move back and forth a bit enough to make that noise. For those who are having the same symptoms check out that bolt/nut connection!

I should have thought of that!! Sorry, that happened to my ex girlfriends explorer too!!