PDA

View Full Version : Write up: Tundra caliper rebuild

97kurt
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I wrote this up about a year ago but never published it anywhere. This is what I had to do to rebuild a set of Tundra calipers. Sorry no pics.

Rebuilding Front Brake Calipers

Recently with the popularity of the Tundra brake mod for 3rd gen 4runners and similar year Tacomas I began searching for a set of Tundra calipers. Searching the web and calling junk yards I was able to find a used set for $20 each. I quickly jumped on the deal and had them shipped. When they arrived they were covered in rust and looked like hell.
At this point I had the option of shelling out more cash for nice new remanufactured ones from a local auto parts stores and using the junk yard ones for cores. Or rebuilding the junk yard set. Well the decision was easy once I learned that all the remanufactured calipers were out of stock.
A visit to a local autoparts store by the name of Meyers Western (similar to Napa but they deal in only foreign makes) and picked up 2 rebuild kits for the calipers. Each kit was about $11 and was made for the 199mm tundra calipers that I had picked up.

Each kit contained:
# 4 Inner O-ring piston seals
# 4 Outer piston seals
# 4 metal retaining rings

One thing I can say is wow, brakes are simple. Once you have the caliper apart you will realize just how simple they are.

Also.. to note. At the time of writing this I have already put about 700 miles on the rebuilt calipers and all is good. If you see something that I left out let me know.

Step 1: Clean em up!!

The first step was to clean outter surface of the calipers as best I could. Like I said, mine were covered in rust from the junk yard they came from. I first removed the brake bad retaining pins and then the two rods that postition the pad. On each caliper the rods gave me trouble trying to remove them. Soaking in pb blaster would probably work the best but I used a punch and a hammer. One rod required me to use my air chissel to remove. Instead of re-using the rods I went to Toyota and got 4 new ones for $6.

After the rods and pads were out I put on a face mask and used a wire wheel with my cordless drill to remove as much of the surface rust as possible. I finished up with some brake parts cleaner and the calipers looked a lot better.

Step 2: Dis-assembly

The only dangerous part of this rebuild. If you have access to a air compressor then you are in luck. We need to get all of the pistons removed. There are a few ways to do this. Take the air nozzle from your compressor and stick it in to where the brake line would go into the caliper. There might be fluid present so make sure you are wearing a bad shirt and you have eye protection on. A full mask would be the recomended way to go. Before plasting the caliper with air, stick something in the center of the caliper, I used a welding glove (without my hand in it).

When you hit the trigger on the air nozzle the pistons are gonna fire at each other since there is no rotor or pad there any more there is nothing to stop it. Keep your hand free, protect your self and pull the trigger. With any luck all 4 pistons will extend all the way out. One might even "pop" all the way out. Once all 4 are raised, remove the retaining rings that are around the boots of the piston. A flat head or needle nose should pop them off quickly. Now you must wiggle free all 4 of the pistons. They are in there tight and I admit I tapped mine with a hammer and flat head to free them. Be creative and get them out. Just avoid scratching them at all costs.
Once the pistons are out, remove the boot seal and discard the old seal. Then with needle nose or a small flat head or even both. Remove the inner o-ring seal from inside the caliper. Once they are out, toss them.

If you were thinking about painting your calipers now would be the time. Get some actual caliper paint from an auto store. Caliper paint is different from normal paint. It will survive at higher temps and it can withstand brake fluid. I stuffed paper towelles in each piston slot to keep paint from getting in. You will also want to plug the whole where the brake line goes in while painting. Pepboys was out of black caliper paint so I had a choice bewteen red and silver... I suggest you learn from my mistake.

Step 3: Inspect and repair

I read on a few sites that if the pistons appeared to be pitted from rust then to scrap them. Mine had some surface rust that I cleaned up but they were by no means pitted or ruined. Use your own judgement on this.

The re-assembly was done without a manual, just some basic steps I read on other sites with people re-building non-toyota calipers. I poured some brake fluid in a small bowl and dipped each of the new inner o-ring seals in the fluid. Then put one new seal in each of the 4 spots on the caliper. They go in really easily with just your fingers, just make sure that there are no twists in them.

Next step is to put the new outer boots on each piston. You may want to clean off the pistons if there is old fluid on them or any other grime. A couple shots of brake cleaner and a wipe with a paper towell should be all you need. Once they are clean pop the outer boot on each piston. Wipe a dap of new fluid around the outer edge of each piston and place it as straight as possible in the caliper. Using a piece of wood, you can put that on top of the piston so you can apply equal pressure on the piston and push it into place. They will not want to go in so use some body weight to push them in. Do not hammer them in, They need to go in straight.

Once all 4 are pressed in then just put the retaining clip around each boot. Install your pads and your done.

Good Times
08-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Kurt,

I converted a wiki of this write up: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=60&id=wiki:front_caliper_rebuild

good job!