PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers

FlyingWil
09-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Vehicle fires usually start in one of three places:
1. The engine compartment, from fuel or oil leaks.
2. Under the dash, from electrical shorts.
3. The back seat, from lighted cigarettes.

Several different kinds of fire extinguishers are available. An ABC extinguisher is the most versatile and will handle type A fires (ordinary combustibles, like wood, paper, or the burning upholstery of a back seat where a lighted cigarette has landed), type B fires (flammable liquids such as oil or gasoline), and type C fires (electrical). You're best off with an ABC extinguisher.

The downside is the fine powdery residue an ABC extinguisher leaves. It will corrode electrical connections and will ruin computers and other electronic gear. You have to clean up thoroughly after using an ABC extinguisher.
To put out a fire, sweep the discharge from the extinguisher steadily back and forth across the base of the flames until the fire is out. Don't spray the extinguisher toward the flames that are leaping into the air - that won't do any good and just wastes the precious contents of the extinguisher.

If you have an upholstery fire in the back seat, smother the fire with the extinguisher, but then pull the back seat out of the vehicle. The fire will probably still be smoldering deep inside the seat. Open up the upholstery to extinguish the fire thoroughly.

Avoid using ABC extinguishers for fires around computers and other electrical equipment, if you possibly can. Halon is the extinguishing agent of choice. Halon extinguishers smother a fire by shutting out the oxygen, and work well if the fire is in a confined area. If there is a breeze, the Halon will be blown away, and the fire will flare up again. Under the dash electrical fires respond well to Halon, but you've got to disconnect the battery quickly after the fire is out, or the short circuit will start up the fire again.

Because of environmental considerations, the manufacture of Halon has been banned by the EPA, but previous supplies are still available and Halon extinguishers are still available.

So with that said, I thought I would start a thread to see what type of fire extinguisher are you using and why?

Seanz0rz
09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
i have an abc powder extinguisher, a giant one, that i carry. honestly if there is a fire in my truck, i dont care about the carpc, electrical connections, my laptop, whatever. personal safty is the utmost concern.

i would like to find a CO2 extinguisher, but i can never find one.

acreves
09-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I carry a Halon and Dry Chem. I have a CO2 as well but it isn't very practical. If you get a CO2 extinquisher get an aluminum one.

Robinhood4x4
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I have ABC extinguishers because that's what they had at costco.

slosurfer
09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I have ABC extinguishers because that's what they had at costco.

Same here! But now I know what to be on the lookout for.

Seanz0rz
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
thats where i got mine!

Robinhood4x4
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I carry a Halon and Dry Chem. I have a CO2 as well but it isn't very practical. If you get a CO2 extinquisher get an aluminum one.
How come it's not very practical?

acreves
09-03-2007, 06:34 PM
My CO2 extinguisher is a 15 lb one. Since it is a steel tank I am guessing that the tare weight alone would be about 30 lbs. Giving my a charged weight of about 47 lbs. with the horn. You can get them in 5 and 10 lb versions. I have a small Halon extinguisher so I have no need for a small CO2. If you don't have a Halon a small CO2 would be great for small electric fires.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/kellachica/IMG_0988.jpg

acreves
09-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I also forgot to mention that if you ever discharge a dry chem extinguisher and don't use the whole thing make sure that you put it in a bag because it will continue to leak until all the powder is gone.

BruceTS
09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I made sure to purchase a bunch of Halon extinguishers when Kiddie discontinued them. that's what I carry.....

Texas Jim
10-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Dry chem. is the only way to go for compactness and overall fire protection. Most fabrics in todays vehicles are flam suppressing to a cigarette or other flammable source. Errant firecracker or roman candle ball. Any thing with old fabric seats 1960's or older my not be as flame retardant.

As far as camp fires it still tough to beat water and sand dirt on top to make sure all coals and embers are out. :camping: Those of you living in dry and heavy forrested area would be wise to make sure that plenty of sand/ dirt was put on fire site before leaving camping area. As Smokey would say, "Only you can prevent forrest fires." :thumbup: TJ

drguitarum2005
10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
good topic. is halon the only one that would be the best as far as putting out any fire that a vehicle throws at you and NOT leaving even more of a mess than the fire caused?

04 Rocko Taco
10-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Co2 would be good I think... right? How hard are they to find, and are they good for normal combustible fires? Or just electrical fires?

acreves
10-07-2007, 07:37 PM
CO2 is good for electrical fires. I would not cary one as my primary extinguisher. They can be easily purchased at any fire protection and equipment store. LA City Fire engines don't even cary C02 extinguishers - that's how much they like them.

EWAYota
10-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I have two Kidde dry chem. Auto fire extinguishers, rated BC. One in my truck, the other I put in my GF's car. Mines only a 2lb, that I have behind my seat for now. That one will eventually be mounted either up front by the passenger side seat or mounted directly behind the front seat. I'm thinking about getting a larger ABC rated one, and mounting that one in the bed once I get a canopy on the truck just in case I come across something that a 2lb BC rated one will not help with.
http://www.labsafety.com/store/assets/product_images_XL/lbc143218s.jpg

Texas Jim
10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
CO2 is strictly a can cooler, it's designed to "snuff," out a fire by depleting all the O2 and starving a fire of oxygen.

Chemical fire extinguishers, are generally good for A B C type of fires. They are good for anything. They are also very messy.

Halon, I don't know that much about other than they were used in restaurants above the French fryer's. I would guess that they work well with fires that are "extra hot," like grease fire would be.

Never!! Never!!! Pour water or H2O on a grease fire such as a French fryer. It's like pouring gas on a wood fire. Very Dangerous!!! TJ

Bighead
10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
I've been looking at these: http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250c.htm

Texas Jim
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
It looks great Bighead!!! The only question I have is what is a 2B fire?? I would want it to cover all the bases of different types of fire. TJ

Bighead
10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
If I remember correctly the "B" denotes a flammable liquid fire and the "2" before it is for the size of flammable liquid fire it can extinguish. The "C" is for an electrical fire.

Ric
10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Im also running 2 extinguishers, one ABC, and one Halon..
The Halon is mounted on the floor right in front of the driver seat, the ABC is in the cargo area.

04 Rocko Taco
11-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Just thought I would retouch on this topic, as winter approaches, and a lot of people tie thier wheeling into camping, which almost always requires a big fire in the winter.

I personally carry one BC Marine Grade Extinguisher in the rig, mounted on the floor right under my drivers seat, for easy access. I also carry one in the tow rig, and one or two on the trailer.

Overkill? Probably. But if you have a fire, you'll be glad its there.

reggie 00
11-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I dont think its overkill.
I have one in front of each front seat and one in the rear passanger area.
With plans on putting one back in the cargo area as soon as i do the roll bar mod.
Cant be to safe.

Just thought I would retouch on this topic, as winter approaches, and a lot of people tie thier wheeling into camping, which almost always requires a big fire in the winter.

I personally carry one BC Marine Grade Extinguisher in the rig, mounted on the floor right under my drivers seat, for easy access. I also carry one in the tow rig, and one or two on the trailer.

Overkill? Probably. But if you have a fire, you'll be glad its there.

waskillywabbit
11-27-2008, 07:32 AM
I have (2) in my Tundra and (2) on my trail rig, a big honnking one at my house and (2) big honking ones at the shop...maybe (3). :D

4runnerchevy
11-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I have three at home, my job has one everywhere. Crap I only have 1 in the truck better get 1 of these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SAF%2DLT5AAB&N=700+115&autoview=sku

troyboy162
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
found this thread while researching. im looking at buying one of these and mounting it up front somewhere. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=164564-65213-21005227&lpage=none

whats everyones thoughts on the ability's of a small one like this in arms reach? alternatively im looking at a 5lb size mounted in the cargo area, but that would take some time to get at if needed in a hurry. and yes both would be nice haha but im not leaning toward being that prepared.

4runnerchevy
01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
That one looks like my extinguisher, but different color. Just making sure your fuel and wiring are in good shape, is probably better then any extinguisher. Still having one on hand and a Battery disconnect, will posibly save your vehicle.

troyboy162
01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
i ended up buying that extinguisher from lowes today and a cheapo battery disconnect at harbor freight that might fit my battery post. the extinguisher looks like a good size. its a bit bigger then some of the ones aimed at the auto market. its pretty cheaply made but im confident it can work for its ten seconds of glory if need be.

"soda" can shown for size reference
http://www.wow.digitalchaosgaming.com/t4r/fire.JPG

04 Rocko Taco
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Troy that is the same one I run in my 84 trail rig, and I feel confident that it'll do the job, and just having it is the best fire preventer around... but you know, that ONE TRIP you leave it at home, its gonna burn.... so mount it in there!

troyboy162
01-11-2009, 10:37 AM
mounted. for those with nice rigs there is some very small holes drilled through the carpet. if you removed it, you wouldnt be able to see the holes unless you were looking for them.

haha my poor passenger always gets the short end of the stick, but the bottle and the CB don't interfere with where your legs would be normally

http://www.wow.digitalchaosgaming.com/t4r/fire5.jpg

troyboy162
01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
4runnerchevy brought up a great point about a battery disconnect. i bought one at harbor freight and it broke while i was installing it. the silver one pictured installed, came from autozone. its very heavy duty. the broken harbo r freight one is pictured so people know what to avoid. its sold all over the internet and a very poor design.
http://www.wow.digitalchaosgaming.com/t4r/dis.jpg