PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tailgate

runnerbug
09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone~

I am the proud momma of a 1991 4runner affectionately named "lil beast". Unfortunately, her tailgate and rear glass got destroyed this evening, and I need to replace it ASAP. I found a tailgate assembly out of a 1995 in great condition. I know it will fit, but how much trouble is it to replace? What should I watch out for? Thanks!

fustercluck
09-02-2007, 07:04 AM
This work should be pretty straight forward. The gate weighs quite a bit, so I'd have a couple of extra hands available.

Before you unbolt any support structure, find the harness disconnect and separate that first. From there I'd remove the struts and finally the hinge bolts. Reassemble in reverse order.

If you plan paint to match, That will be better done before any of the above proceedures. You'll have better access to the new gate's jambs, etc.

Cebby
09-02-2007, 07:12 AM
I've never had mine off, but isn't there some sort of torsion rod under there that should come off before the stays and hinges? I wish my runner was here to go have a look at...

runnerbug
09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, so I found a perfect salvage tailgate from a '90. How do I manually lower the window to get it down to remove it? I think the motor is either bad or needs work b/c jumping it didn't do anything. Thanks!

Robinhood4x4
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, there's a little helper spring underneath the truck but it's nothing to be worried about. The tailgate comes off pretty easy with a couple bolts here and there. You definitely need two people as it's pretty heavy.

How do you actuate the window? That's a good question. Check out this link, there might be something there to help you out. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml

fustercluck
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
4crawler to the rescue again!!!!!

olharleyman
09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I had to replce mine and gound the spring type rod that helps open it had to be replace with the one I took off so you may need to do that but otherwise like everyone eles said get a few friends because its award and heavy but easy to replace.

Big T
09-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow you actually found a salvage gate.