PDA

View Full Version : ifs diff question

MillerPKA
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
*copy from yt*

i'm just sitting killing time at my girlfriend's place so i took off the ifs skid to see how it would look. as soon as i got it off something looked wrong. sorry if i'm a little naive when it comes to explaining but i'm not to knowledgeable on ifs. anyways, the mounting arm on the left is completely dry, the one on the right has what looks like layers and layers of grease and gunk. last time i went into to jiffy lube for the synth oil swap he mentioned i had a little oil leak. just got off the phone with blake and he said it's possibly cv boot grease. anyways, we both thought posting this up would merit some results so if you have any speculation please shoot it at me, thanks guys

left
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/wtfniga/0903071536.jpg

right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/wtfniga/0903071536a.jpg

middle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/wtfniga/0903071537.jpg

BruceTS
09-03-2007, 01:00 PM
hard to tell where the leak is comming from, but I doubt it's the diff leaking......

Good Times
09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
if your cv boots are torn you'll notice them easily by looking directly behind one of the front wheels/brakes. you'll find a boot with fins (or looks like fins) and if you see grease there then it's torn.

based on the pics you've sent, it doesn't look like the cv's are torn cuz it's too far away from the action. doesn't look like oil from the diff either.

clean off the mess and inspect it later on to see if it it's still ugly down there and then trace the leak. it's just probably dirty from a minor leak from somewhere that just built up with dirt etc.

personally speaking, stay well away from jiffy lube... good luck

Albuquerque Jim
09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
When you remove the oil filter this area usually gets soaked with oil. If someone doesn't do a good job of cleaning up it will look like this over time. Plus, I can see a drip of oil coming from the drain plug, I bet the gasket has never been replaced.

Get a new gasket the next time you change the oil and take the truck to the car wash with a can of de-greaser and clean it off.

Seanz0rz
09-03-2007, 01:39 PM
i say oil soak from the filter.

if you do have a leak, then its above this location, either directly or via some kind of drip that puts the oil in this location.

however, im betting on that just being from bad oil change practice. mine was similar (though not quite as bad) and i tried cleaning it up as much as possible.

neliconcept
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
thats what i thought, oil leak or jiffy lube didnt clean up their stupid mess and it got caked in dirt.

clean it up, run it for like 2 weeks and then check back to see if its caked again.

MTL_4runner
09-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Those aren't CV's leaking or you'd see grayish colored grease splattered all over everything (believe me, leaking CV's are pretty obvious.....I just changed mine and the mess was ugly to clean up). I'd also rule out a dif leak unless the oil smells like dog poo. I'm 99.99% positive that all your seeing is alot of messy oil filter changes that have dripped all over everything below.