PDA

View Full Version : Storage System Build

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
After 3-4 wheeling/camping trips I decided I needed somethings to organize my gear. I looked at what was available on the market and wasn't really impressed with what was offered, and was really shocked at the prices. Needless to say, made a few rough sketches, moved them to CAD and started building! I will work on updating the CAD as few enhancements were made during the build, and moving them to a format anyone can use. Enjoy!

First pic is a normal interior....

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Carpeting pulled out to assess attachment options

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Made some of the basic cuts in the wood, this is a mock up to check fitment.

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Box gets built...

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Drawers get built....

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:10 PM
A brief wheeling intermission while the glue drys and everythign sets... :flipoff:

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Final product!

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Drawers open (bic lighter for scale)

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Drawer(s) off...

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Wing(s) up...

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Attachment system....Maybe my favorite part...

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Installed and locked down!

TMR
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Highlights:

Completely removable in <5mins
Much much cheaper than a $1200 system from Slee
Drawers pull out 28" giving access to ~36" of storage
Drawers have a quick release for removal
Drawers are rated to 150lbs each at full extention
Drawers have adjustable compartments in 6" increments
Mounting setup (turnbuckles and I-bolts) rated to over 300lbs of force per turnbuckle

Prices
Lumber was around $100
Hardware was around $100
Labor was $14.89
(4 Roller wheels and a snickers bar in exchange for my old mans woodworking expertise!)

Still needs to be poly'ed and carpeted....

Good Times
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
home brew drawer systems totally rock :) just wondering though, how heavy is it to unload the box (w/o the drawers)? I've always wanted to do this but fear the actual weight of the box that I've yet to try. Not much of a handy man when it comes to wood stuff but I'm sure it's really no different from metal :)

what kind of wood did you use btw?

good job and it looks awesome!

TMR
09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
home brew drawer systems totally rock :)
just wondering though, how heavy is it to unload the box (w/o the drawers)?

Without the drawers I would guess the box at around 75lbs
With the drawers in the box is ~120 - 125lbs. Never bothered to weight it. I can load it and unload it by myself, so its not that bad.

I've always wanted to do this but fear the actual weight of the box that I've yet to try. Not much of a handy man when it comes to wood stuff but I'm sure it's really no different from metal :)

I'm sure it is, I just have the wrong toolsets! ;-)

what kind of wood did you use btw?

The majority is 3/4 plywood to keep the weight down, 5 sheet birch (nicer plywood, hahaha ;-) ) and 1/4 plywood for the drawer dividers

good job and it looks awesome!

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Keep us posted on the rebuild!

slosurfer
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Very nice build and writeup. :thumbup:

I haven't tried to build mine yet, but one thing I am going to try to do, is not put a full bottom on the box itself. I'm hoping that just bottom slats across the front and rear with one in the center, to cut down on some of the weight. May not be feasible, but could possibly work. I would really like to make it without any bottom to it at all, but stability may be an issue, especially when the drawers are not in it.

Good Times
09-04-2007, 09:24 PM
chris one thing i was thinking was only having one drawer or maybe two stacked and the other side hold the future frig :) ahh i'm such a dreamer :)

Ric
09-04-2007, 09:31 PM
very nicely done :clap: Im working on something almost the same, (not as tall) please post up pics when your done with the carpet.

slosurfer
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
chris one thing i was thinking was only having one drawer or maybe two stacked and the other side hold the future frig :) ahh i'm such a dreamer :)

You reading my mind or what? I was thinking one side having the regular size drawer, while the other side had two stacked drawers. The top would also be removable on the side with the stacked drawers with a slide lock mounted in the top drawer, that way it can be used with or without the fridge. :D I need to figure out a way for that drawer to come out and then tilt down on to the tailgate to make it easier to access the contents of the fridge. :drool:

TMR, look what you started now. Great job and thanks for the inspiration.

Bob98SR5
09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
good build! did you carpet or stain it yet?

this is one of my things to do, but i have other ideas to use a metal frame w/ either fiberglass or thin metal sheets to keep the weight down. i'd also like to design in a fold out platform on a rail type system that could be secured with simple pins.

anyways, thats all months and months from now!

bob

Ric
09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey Bob,
Ive been thinking about doing something like a slide out table, but just cant get the drawings lol If I figure that out, Ill send ya a copy, might help ya out, might not. :D