PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump Dilemma

YotaFun
09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
So I have had a whine in my engine bay that I have diagnosed as a power steering pump issue.
So.
I got a new pump and began my work.

While I was pulling this:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/Nighthief/4Runner/Power%20Steering%20Pump/OldPump.jpg

Out of here:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/Nighthief/4Runner/Power%20Steering%20Pump/Engine.jpg

I did this...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/Nighthief/4Runner/Power%20Steering%20Pump/Pulley.jpg

Here is a closer look...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/Nighthief/4Runner/Power%20Steering%20Pump/DSC03319.jpg

I have learned today that breaker bar has more then just one meaning behind it....

A warning for all who go to change your power steering pump, Cover all other parts that are breakable....

So here comes my question.

Is the pulley still usable?
OR
I already ordered another one because I am kind of superstitious when it comes to engine belts.

I know i got screwed on the price but is there anywhere else that I could have gotten this for cheaper?

Also, I need to clean out the pump reservoir, the instructions that came with the pump said to soak the reservoir in carb cleaner... is that right?
Any suggestions?

So a $131 dollar fix and now escalated.....

reggie 00
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I think i would have let it slide.

Clean up the altered part so there are no edges, inspect it for cracks and then install.

Its a V belt that little part is IMO not very detrimental for keeping the belt on.

A long time ago i rebuilt a carb and got a gallon can of carb cleaner, this is what i would use and just soak it and then let it dry completely and go ahead with the bleeding instructions that probably came with the new pump.

YotaFun
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Now, do you think the dealership will let me return the part?

reggie 00
09-05-2007, 08:37 PM
They should , worse case they might charge you a restock fee. But you can try the loyal customer card and see if they will let it slide.

rocket
09-06-2007, 03:41 AM
If the part was in-stock at time of purchase, you should get a FULL refund.

Far as reusing the chipped pulley, i'd still replace it for peace of mind.

MTL_4runner
09-06-2007, 01:50 PM
I think you could probably get away without replacing it as long as the pulley doesn't have any other hairline cracks in it. You're also in the snow belt so once rust gets into there it will become a weak spot and could fail later. I'd probably just replace it if it were my truck.

BruceTS
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I have a spare pulley if you return the new one......

YotaFun
09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Its alright Bruce.
If I had known a little earlier I would have taken you up on the offer.

Unfortunately I am timed crunched on this repair.
I have to get her up and running the min I get that pulley in my hands tomorrow...

Jamie you are right on the money about me being in the rust belt (oh I can't wait to install my lift, I think I will be stocking up on PB Blaster soon....)

One of the guys from around here has been running a pulley with like 4 of those kinds of gashes in it and he said he is fine, but I don't want to chance it...

Now I just need to get everything reassembled and flush it out (since the old fluid smells like burnt plastic....

Which is another issue I have...

The instruction and such ask for Drexon or Drexon II fluid.
All I am finding (especially in synthetic) is Drexon III and up...

The cap only says Drexon on it...
Can someone tell me what to put in the power steering pump?
I would really like to switch to synthetic if at all possible...

BruceTS
09-06-2007, 07:12 PM
BTW that's just a small nick, it would work fine.....

YotaFun
09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah everyone keeps saying that.
What I might do just, to get her up and running, is to install the original pulley and save the new one in case I begin to see any other issues with the original.

Any clues on my fluid situation?

BruceTS
09-06-2007, 07:20 PM
use ATF fluid not power steering fluid......

YotaFun
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
lol

That I know.
But is using a Drexon III synthetic alright?

Everything I have read said either Drexon or Drexon II, but I am having trouble finding that in a synthetic, let alone period in stores....

reggie 00
09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
dexron III exceeds dexron and dexron II. They have basically done away with the lower grades. And IV is out now too.
Basically III is OK to use cause it meets and beats the original requirements.

YotaFun
09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Well that answers that then.

Tomorrow I will be picking up this:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

That good?

I hope so...

reggie 00
09-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Should be good to go. :thumbup:

IMO Synthetic for the P/S is a bit over kill, but to each his own. I guess it wont cost that much really.

MTL_4runner
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
IMO Synthetic for the P/S is a bit over kill, but to each his own. I guess it wont cost that much really.

Ditto, but it's only like 2 qts total in the system.

YotaFun
09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Well got the new pump on, with the new pulley (yeah I was a chicken and popped the new pulley on....)

But hey at least the entire unit looks nice and new...

However, it did not get rid of the noise i had in the engine bay.

So I think I fixed something that wasn't broken to begin with...
GO ME!

Welp I guess it will be time when I get a chance to start taking one belt off at a time to see what the deal is...

mkgarrison5
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
i use the same that goes in my auto tranny.. Valvoline Maxlife Dex\Merc ATF.. maxlife has to have a little detergent in it bc i sucked out the old PS fluid out of my girls 05 corolla that had left a dark residue on the side inside the resevoir. after a few weeks with just a resevoir full of new maxlife its clear as a whistle. so thats what i use as PS fluid AND tranny fluid.. its a syn blend also and its half the price of M1.