PDA

View Full Version : A/T Tire Recommendations

ttora4runner
09-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Okay, I know this subject has been beaten to death countless times but for one reason or another the search button doesn't turn up anything.
Any how next month I'm probable going to buying some new tires.
This is what I'm looking at:

Toyo Open Country AT's or MT's
Yokohama AT-II (don't care for the MT)

I've had good luck with these two tire brands in the past and I want to stick with them and I'm currently run the yokohama'a. I'm looking at the next tire size up for my 4runner something along the line of a 32 and looking to see what you guys would choose between these 3 tires. (I'm contining research on them as well)

[Edit - Good Times - Thread title updated from "Tires!!" to "A/T Tire Recommendations"

Cebby
09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Is this for typical AZ terrain? What type of wheeling do you do? What % of time is spent on the street?

ttora4runner
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Unfortunately, most of my time at the moment is spent of the road due to my work schedule and I do moderate wheeling and some easy here and there for a quick fix. Maybe, I'll just go with the at's.

Good Times
09-07-2007, 01:23 AM
have you checked out duelers? I've personally have not used these tires before but those that have are pretty happy with them. I've seen them on the trails and they're pretty good too so that's also a good alternative. since you're primarily going to be on the asphalt I'd say stick to A/T tires. M/T's will wear out too much depending on the # of miles you drive.

rocket
09-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Get the at's...you'll be glad you did. Research/look at Nitto Terra Grapplers. IMO their a better choice than both at's you listed.
MT's are great if you spend a lot of time off road, otherwise your just eating away money.

mkgarrison5
09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
from what i hear the grapplers wont last that long on the highway and that narrowed my choices to

Kumho AT
yoko AT-S all terrain but with a little more street type design for better wear

dont get me wrong the grapplers seem to be a damn good tire but like him i drive a lot on the highway and drive a lot of miles so wear is very important to me along with wet traction and the two mentioned above had good ratings

bigwapitijohnny
09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I got a chance to drive a truck with the Kumho A/Ts on them. They were great. Traction on the wet pavement was exceptional, cornering was good, and they are cheap...I think I am going to go with this tire, when mine wear out.

Regards,

BWJ

04 Rocko Taco
09-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I've got the Kumho A/T on my 2004 Taco D-Cab in a 265/75/16 and I like them. They are a fantastic all around tire. The grip offroad is good for an A/T tire, the street manners are exceptional!!

xonetruthcrewx
09-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I had some Bridgestone REVO's and they were great, never a complaint. I actually still have REVO's on my Touareg for my offroad setup. I now have Cooper STT mudders on the 4Runner and the REVO's went to my friends FJ. They replaced his Kumho A/T's. After a recent wheeling trip he told me that the REVO's put the Kumho A/T's to shame. If i was to go back to an A/T tire it would definitely be the BFG A/T. Mainly because they have a 3 ply sidewall and thats important to me. The BFG A/T's also have a great record. I would definitely have to say the REVO's or the BFG's. BFG's if you want a tougher sidewall for offroad and if thats not important to you, the REVO's.

Seanz0rz
09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
i love my bfg's. been a great tire thus far.

Robinhood4x4
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I liked my pirelli scorpions.

My feeling is that basically all AT tires are about the same. I'd tend to get ones that are more aggressive...ones with bigger blocks and wider gaps.

Cebby
09-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I had some Bridgestone REVO's and they were great, never a complaint. I actually still have REVO's on my Touareg for my offroad setup. I now have Cooper STT mudders on the 4Runner and the REVO's went to my friends FJ. They replaced his Kumho A/T's. After a recent wheeling trip he told me that the REVO's put the Kumho A/T's to shame. If i was to go back to an A/T tire it would definitely be the BFG A/T. Mainly because they have a 3 ply sidewall and thats important to me. The BFG A/T's also have a great record. I would definitely have to say the REVO's or the BFG's. BFG's if you want a tougher sidewall for offroad and if thats not important to you, the REVO's.

Another vote for BFG AT's - I've had 3 sets of these and will replace this set with another when they wear out.

rocket
09-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I had BFG AT's and didn't really care for them unless it was dry. They were scary as hell driving on raining/wet, icy, or snowy roads. My brother also had them on his Taco and lost a bead on basically flat ground with 18psi ...i've heard thats a common problem too. The lips/bead can easily fill with pebbles like a bowl of cereal. Saw it with my own eyes a few times.
For the most part, I think they suck and are seriously overrated. The tread design alone should tell anyone it's not 'all terrain' friendly.
A very nice tire if you wheel in desert-like conditions and/or spend most time on pavement.
In comparision, my current Nitto TG's have been much better in all conditions.

ChickenLover
09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I've ran a set of BFG ATs. Like Rocket, I didn't care for them. I'm running Revos now and I am very impressed. Mine currently have 45k on them, and will have no problem making it to 60k. I will definitely buy another set when these wear out.

ttora4runner
09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies ya'll.

ttora4runner
09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I think I'm either going to stick with the toyo's or the yokohama's. I've had good luck with those over the years (with mud, snow and rain). I've looked at the BFG, Revo's and Nitro Terra Grapplers but I still prefer the two above mentioned. Thanks again. :thumbup:

mkgarrison5
09-12-2007, 05:24 AM
well i know from reviews that Kumho AT (kl-78) have great ratings. you can get them in either 4 ply or 6ply.. also yoko geolander at-s had better reviews than that yoko geolander at-II's....

04 Rocko Taco
09-12-2007, 05:32 AM
1 more vote for the Kumho's but hey its all up to you. :)

mkgarrison5
09-12-2007, 07:06 AM
thats what ill go with bc roco isnt easy on his tires and the Kumhos hold up for his use.

ttora4runner
09-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Big O and Discount tire gave me about the same price on tires (both yuma and phoenix). This is what they quoted me for 265/75R16

Toyo Open County A/T: Both Quoted me at around $200 a piece

Yokohama Geolander AT-S: Big O - $169
Discount Tire - roughly $150
Yokohama Gelander AT-II: Big O - $135
Discount - Didn't ask but probable around the same

Tire Rack: $121 a per tire plus $90 for shipping but fiqured it would be close to what discount would charge me for the AT-S (quote $714).

Looked at BFG's, Terra Grapplers and Revo's and they are a little more than what I want to spend (can afford).

What other opinions to do guys have and thanks.

ttora4runner
09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
All I have to say is :

"Um, OUCH!!!" :chair:

mkgarrison5
09-25-2007, 06:40 AM
yeah you are getting buu fuued on those prices bro. shop around. i can get 4 kumho at's 6ply for 500$ with free tire rotations for life.. they last too. seems like they are a litt

Cabin2N
10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I know I'm late to the thread but just wanted to put my vote in for the Pirelli Scorpion A/T, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+A%2FT. They have the best rating on tirerack and I know from experience that they outperform most other tires in the snow/wet weather. I haven't gone anywhere to technical with my 4runner yet but I have never had any traction problems. They even clear mud from the tread quickly. They best part for someone ho can't go wheeling that much is that they are still quite on the freeway.

mkgarrison5
10-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Cabin, both the Kumho AT (kl-78's) AND the yoko AT-S has a better review than those. look them up on that site. they either beat them are right there with them. and probably for half the price too.. ill stick with kumho or yokos for sure. more bang for the buck

04 Rocko Taco
10-18-2007, 05:40 AM
thats what ill go with bc roco isnt easy on his tires and the Kumhos hold up for his use.

Hey hey hey. lol. What can I say, hes right. The Kuhmo's hold up to everything I throw at them, and yes, I am fairly rough on tires, on and off road. They a precied well, have decent grip for A/T's and have great road manners.

Cabin2N
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Ops, I linked the wrong ones...Pirelli Scorpion ATR http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+ATR