PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Question

mkgarrison5
09-07-2007, 07:37 AM
i have a question about oem plugs and non oem plugs.. can someone explain to me and maybe give me link with proof that its better to use an oem plug rather than lets say in our case Bosch with the same gap and everything?? i have had a discussion with some people i know and they say i am full of crap when i say its best to stick with the brand that came in the car to begin with bc of heat points ignition systems they are designed for.. thanks fellas

jayzus
09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
ive never messed with my spark plugs but im sure this topic will affect m e too.. sometimes my engine shuts off when i am idleing

04 Rocko Taco
09-07-2007, 10:31 AM
All the proof you need is to try and run bosch's for awhile.
Our toyotas were designed to run NGK and Denso plugs, thats based on the way they spark, they ignition points, the 'heat' of the spark. Things of that nature.

Run some bosch in there and you will see, NGK and Denso is where its at. Tell your Ford and Chevy buddies to get a real truck and then talk to you, and until then to shut up, and take there mullet motors and put whatever garbage they want in it.

MTL_4runner
09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
No problem, there's tons of info on this....

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/engine-sparkboschplat.html

.....and here's what can happen if you decide to ignore the advice.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/80880-bosch-platinum-spark-plug-users-beware/

mkgarrison5
09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
thanks fellas.. this discussion was broader like this guy is using bosch in a jeep cherokee and he wonders why crap keeps happening like fouling out, bad idle and i told him to switch to standard copper champion (oem for that model) and he said i was full of shit hahaha.. i just laughed... but they kept telling me as long as they are cross referenced to match oem that any plug will work and thats not so true to me.. thanks again fellas

MTL_4runner
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Tell him to run some of the Champion iridiums or NGK platinums for longer plug life.
If his engine uses waste spark like most do now, Bosch are NG.

mkgarrison5
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
i had the same year model as him 2002 and they came with basic copper champions.. i went and bought irridiums and platinums thinking hey i wont have to change them hardly ever. well both types fouled out within 20k miles. so i went back to basic copper champions and went 50k miles on them with no issues.. i wonder what was up with that?? i dunno, i am just glad i got rid of that pos and bought a tacoma

MTL_4runner
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
i had the same year model as him 2002 and they came with basic copper champions.. i went and bought irridiums and platinums thinking hey i wont have to change them hardly ever. well both types fouled out within 20k miles. so i went back to basic copper champions and went 50k miles on them with no issues.. i wonder what was up with that?? i dunno, i am just glad i got rid of that pos and bought a tacoma

Wow, if you get 50k out of copper plugs then by all means go the cheapest route.

surf4runner
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
:screwy: i ran bosch in the 3.4 for over 40K w/o any issues :booya:
i now have NGK :thumbup:

04 Rocko Taco
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I've got 78K running strong on Original OEM plugs. :) in my 04. I have no idea whats in my '84... lol

surf4runner
09-07-2007, 01:39 PM
i replaced the 3&3 OEM @ 82K(electrodes looked like a football) w/ the bosch, then learned, fortunately not the hard way this time.

DHC6twinotter
09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't remember what I put in last time (Bosch?), but I've got some NGKs that will be going in soon.