PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Stolen

yotanut
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
warning just had my catalytic conv. stolen from outside my house at about 9:45 am so please be carefull oh well anyone know of a way to prevent this for next time cause they will comeback those little F******
thats like rule number one never mess with another mans vehicle F****** Crackheads

[edit - Good Times - thread title modified from "WARNING BE VERY CAREFUL" to "Catalytic Converter Stolen"

oly884
09-07-2007, 10:12 AM
too bad you live in LA. If i found some crack head under my truck up here, he'd have a couple .223 holes in him.

paddlenbike
09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qpFDRdXTkNOv1M:http://www.ross-enterprises.com/miata/cat_conv.jpg + http://www.masterlock.com/images/category/res/sch/comblocks.gif

surf4runner
09-07-2007, 01:10 PM
too bad you live in LA. If i found some crack head under my truck up here, he'd have a couple .223 holes in him.

you could maybe pull it off in LA :tapedshut:

Seanz0rz
09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
no, here only the criminals can use guns. us law abiding citizens cant use our guns.

you can try welding a steel cable or something to it. but if they want it, they are going to get it.

this is one downfall of being able to comfortably work under my truck with out a jack.

calrockx
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM

really, you'd shoot him just like that?

you wouldn't maybe threaten him first? maybe call the police first?

fustercluck
09-07-2007, 02:30 PM

really, you'd shoot him just like that?

you wouldn't maybe threaten him first? maybe call the police first?

Well, he might get away....

Seanz0rz
09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
shoot first, ask questions later. one in the knee insures he will not go far before the police get there..

ecchamberlin
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Only thing I can think of would be to get a belly skid plate like the one from BudBuilt. THat would slow them down so much that I think they would just choose another vehicle. This also has lots of obvious uses for off roading to boot!

Just an idea.

rocket
09-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Maybe a CCTV camera system would be a solution ...theres so many options and prices that almost anyone can benefit from them.
The newer "stealth" cameras can capture video using infrared, Wi-Fi, and almost endless DVD recording. Might be worth looking into.

mkgarrison5
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
no you can shoot anyone unless its self defense. but a nice ass beating would be very appropriate

BruceTS
09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
It would be self defense, he was trying to harm my baby!

mkgarrison5
09-11-2007, 05:05 AM
hahaha.. i guess i see your point.. why are they stealing cat converters?? next thing you know they will be stealing parking brakes

04 Rocko Taco
09-11-2007, 05:23 AM
they are stealing the cats casue they have platinum in them, and bring a hefty price at the recycling place. :) I think like $30-$50 per cat.

YotaFun
09-11-2007, 07:05 AM
shoot first, ask questions later. one in the knee insures he will not go far before the police get there..

Ah but if you do that, then they can sue you, self defense or not.

Trust me, I know a friend of mine that shot a Robber in his own house in the foot, needless to say he was sued by the robber and the robber one!
What kind of justice is that.

Rocko's Right, the paltinum in the cats is work the time and effort to steal it, and a drugie will do anything to get money these days...

mkgarrison5
09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
in NC you can shoot them if they are in your house.. it used to be that you had to see a weapon or feel like your life is threatened.. now if they take a step in, have fun blowing him out the window he came in

BruceTS
09-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Trust me, I know a friend of mine that shot a Robber in his own house in the foot, needless to say he was sued by the robber and the robber one!

Rocko's Right, the paltinum in the cats is work the time and effort to steal it, and a drugie will do anything to get money these days...

the dead can't sue.......

breknraj
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
But their next of kin can.

BruceTS
09-11-2007, 05:26 PM
But their next of kin can.

Like I said the dead can't sue.......

surf4runner
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM
:alert:
close to home and targeting 4runners...
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jul/03/catalytic-converter-thefts-vehicles-reported/

mastacox
07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.dhadm.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/cat_conv.jpg

+

http://www.slimyfish.net/images/blog/FLAM_lg.jpg

+

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/hammer-1.jpg

=

http://www.mitzenmacher.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/MU026_FULL_BODY_CAST1.jpg

4runnerchevy
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I guess we are gonna have to weld padlocks to our cats. Dont forget the security drainplugs on your gas tank, and locking gas caps. While we are at it maybe security plugs on our drainpans, x-fer cases, diffs, and trannies.

Oh crap is our coolant safe ?

I say kill em'all.

Robinhood4x4
07-05-2008, 06:29 PM
A couple months ago one of the machinists at work had his cat stolen out of his 2wd nissan truck while he was at church. Then, about a month later he had the cat stolen out of his wife's 2nd gen 4runner at her work.

corax
07-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I guess we are gonna have to weld padlocks to our cats. Dont forget the security drainplugs on your gas tank, and locking gas caps. While we are at it maybe security plugs on our drainpans, x-fer cases, diffs, and trannies.

I'd just put a tack weld on the gas tank drain . . . :hillbill:

4runnerchevy
07-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Hopefully empty and free of fumes :roll:

BruceTS
07-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Hopefully empty and free of fumes :roll:

Actually it's better if the tank is full of fuel, with no air space........ There's no chance for ignition.

4runnerchevy
07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
We purge with Argon anytime we weld on tanks at work. I still would not weld on my tank full of fuel. This is just my personnal preference.

gilby4runner
07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
one of our local news stations did a story in catalytic converter theft. I was shocked that during the report they stated that toytoa 4runners and trucks were prime targets due to their ground clearance. ****Captain Obvious here... why tell the tweekers the best vehicle to hit? Kinda like saying the THP is going to have road blocks tonight to catch drunk drivers then tell where they are gonna be......

Henry
04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Couple weeks ago some asshole slashed one of my tires forcing me to replace all the tires earlier than I had planned since if I needed to do one might as well do them all. Now another jacksass has taken my cat. Stole it from an apartment complex parking lot. . . Only 4runner in the lot. Must have stuck out like a sore thumb to a cat thief. Thieves suck.

Anyway anyone know how much it'll cost to replace the thing? Aftermarket? OEM? This sucks. Not like I have the money to keep throwing away in this economy.

troyboy162
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
previous owner of my 4runner had his cat stolen in the LA area as well. not much you can do really

Crinale
04-16-2009, 11:38 PM

thats not even the worst... If someone robs you, and you chase them down (off your property) and take your property that they stole back, they can sue you for loss of income... and win...

pretty lame that people are targeting our trucks tho... best idea so far is the belly skid...

oly884
04-17-2009, 05:13 AM

thats not even the worst... If someone robs you, and you chase them down (off your property) and take your property that they stole back, they can sue you for loss of income... and win...

pretty lame that people are targeting our trucks tho... best idea so far is the belly skid...

And that pisses me right off.

If I catch someone under my truck, in my house, or anywhere they shouldn't be, stealing something that I WORKED FOR, I should have every right to get my property back, by what ever means I have. Whether it's .223, .308, or 10mm in diameter.

Whitey
04-17-2009, 05:19 AM

The beauty of the internet is that people actually believe this stuff...

Crinale
04-19-2009, 12:52 AM
nah, a couple years ago my dad read an article in the local newspaper about a case like that... it might be a california thing, we have WAAAAAAAAYYYY to many lawyers out here...