PDA

View Full Version : First post. Hi from Los Osos, CA and a question

slowheelin
09-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey what's up everyone. Awesome forums :thumbup:

My fiancee and I just got a 93 4Runner V6 and we're getting it into trail ready condition. Nothing major yet just new tires, shocks and some armor for now.
So we're going over the truck from top to bottom and while I was greasing the U-joint on the rear driveshaft (at the diff) I noticed that there is some play in it. I was rocking it back and forth with my hands, not too far just about 1/2" in each direction. Is that normal? There's no leaks at the diff and everything else back there looks good so I'm just wondering if it's something that needs attention.

Thanks to slosurfer for pointing me to this cool site. I'll get some pics of our rig up soon.

ecchamberlin
09-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I think some play in the diff is normal but there should not be play in the u joint. Not really sure which one has play in it from your post.

Looking forward to some rig pics

BruceTS
09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
1/2" is normal backlash in the driveline, just make sure there is zero play in the U joints.....

Robinhood4x4
09-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Usually driveline problems are accompanied by noises or leaks. If you don't have either then you're probably ok.

slowheelin
09-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Cool, thanks guys. There's no noise or leaking and the UJs look good so I'm not gonna worry about it . We should have our new tires and shocks this week, after that I'm gonna look into some armor.

Euphorickaty80
09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi and welcome! If ya want any powder coating done to that rig give us a yell and we will be glad to be of service!

Katy and Jeremy
Loudins Powder Coating

slosurfer
09-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey Robb, Welcome to UY. We will have to have a wrenching day here soon. :D Also,

:pics:

bigwapitijohnny
09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Welcome here! You found the forum for information on your Yota. Great people with lots of knowledge.

Regards,

BWJ

slowheelin
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey Robb, Welcome to UY. We will have to have a wrenching day here soon. :D Also,

:pics:

Ya let's wrench soon. I think we're adding a compressor and air tools to our garage. HEHEHEHEH

Yeah I know I'll get some pics up soon, work has been crazy.

Thanks for the welcome guys. :D

slowheelin
09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok here's a pic. I'll get out and take some better ones when I get my new parts put on.

http://www.sloshutter.com/robb/pics-/4Runner.jpg

'93 4Runner V6 5 Speed 160,000 miles

To be installed soon:
31x10.5 BFG AT K/O tires
ProComp ES 9000 shocks
ProComp Steering Stabilizer

That's it so far. I removed the tow hitch, running boards, rusty surf racks and factory trim pieces. Planned mods (as $$ allows) include front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, armor and lockers front & rear.

Right now it's just maintenance to get it running good. I'm replacing the fluids with Mobil 1 and probably putting a new power steering pump in to replace the one that leaks.

slosurfer
09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Holy crap! You live right down the street and you have the same year/color 4runner that I have. Small world!

slowheelin
09-12-2007, 07:15 AM
OMG too funny. I have the standard oxidation on the hood and roof so we're going to paint them black with that rustoleum that everyone is raving about.