PDA

View Full Version : A new alternative to flares.

Good Times
09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure how many of us still keep flares handy but here's a great alternative that's better than the traditional flare.

http://www.powerflare.com

http://www.powerflare.com/graphics/products/PF200_yellow_blasting.jpg

The PowerFlare PF-200 is 4.25" in diameter and 1.25" tall and is available in different shell colors: Yellow, Orange and Olive Drab.

The LEDs can emit red, amber [yellow], blue, green, white, and IR. Of course you'd have to buy the right combination between the shell and the led though.

The cool factor is that you won't have to worry about your flares self igniting in your vehicle and it can also double as a SOS device and then some.

Application uses include:

Search & rescue (SAR) operations: tag areas and items; personal safety light; emergency response teams (ERT, CERT)
Use as lantern in case of power failure, earthquake, hurricane or other disaster (get one for your disaster kit today!)
Attach as a safety light for bicycles and motorcycles (provides 360° coverage)
Helicopter landing zones (LZ)
SCUBA diving / boating and marine operations: waterproof to 300'
Work zone safety: mount on cones or barricades
Tactical operations (military and SWAT): infrared (IR) version available

Cool Features

9 Flash Patterns, including ‘S-O-S’
LEDs Flash up to 100 Hours on 1 Battery (or charge)
High Grade Military Polymer Shell
Waterproof
Environmentally Friendly and Easy to Use

http://www.powerflare.com/graphics/products/PF200_pattern5.gif

Of course they're not cheap but a pretty neat gadget to have :)

slosurfer
09-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Those are pretty cool. Not as expensive as I thought they would be. Make a magnet mount for the top of a vehicle for desert runs. :thumbup:

neliconcept
09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
would def be good for me on my long trips incase I do break down at night.

Ric
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
them are pretty cool, I could see where hikers should carry them, seems like the Denver area getting alot of lost hikers lately, and its taking a few days to find them, these would save lots of time. :thumbup:

great find there Good Times thanks for sharing

neliconcept
09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
them are pretty cool, I could see where hikers should carry them, seems like the Denver area getting alot of lost hikers lately, and its taking a few days to find them, these would save lots of time. :thumbup:

great find there Good Times thanks for sharing

good point, i guess on my hikes i should carry them as well

Good Times
09-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Ric,

it's just boys/girls and their toys :) when you find stuff you just can't help telling others about it :D so who wants to get me one? hehehe

Texas Jim
10-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Sorry Lance, I have had them for a four or five years!! I did pick mine up at Sam's Club. If your extra frugal and collect all the lost pop/ beer cans you see. soon you too will have some... TJ

Phalanx
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the Epileptic Seizure Lance!! :rofl:

Good Times
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
TJ, since you're the first person I know that owns them, what are your thoughts on this product? Do they add value to having them on your vs owning the traditional flares?

Erich_870
10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I was just thinking of these the other day!  I saw a half burned flare on the side of a turn lane it got me thinking...  There are several situations where a disposable flare would almost be a better option, that and I'd be afraid of loosing them or having someone walk away with them.  They are still pretty cool though  :D

Erich

Roadrunner
10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I've got a set of TurboFlares which are similar to these. Used them a few times, including marking a Medevac LZ at night.

Tankota
03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I just saw a vendor selling these things at TDS last week. They do look pretty trick and are way bright in the dark.

slosurfer
03-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I just saw a vendor selling these things at TDS last week. They do look pretty trick and are way bright in the dark.

How much were they going for?

4runnerchevy
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
:( Someone always has to come up with some idea that takes the fun out of using something. In this case it sems to be flares, I think lighting a flare is enjoyable and should be experienced by everyone. One more thing technology has taken from us. I say stand up for what we know is right, lighting flares. Forget the ozone and light one today. Write your congressman and have them outlaw these LED techno thingies. :smokin:

Tankota
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
How much were they going for?

You know I really don't remember. I say them when I was buying a super siphon from a vendor.
If you've never used a super siphon before you definitely need to get one of those things too. Its on of my favorite little gadgets ever!!!

:( Someone always has to come up with some idea that takes the fun out of using something. In this case it seems to be flares, I think lighting a flare is enjoyable and should be experienced by everyone. One more thing technology has taken from us. I say stand up for what we know is right, lighting flares. Forget the ozone and light one today. Write your congressman and have them outlaw these LED techno thingies. :smokin:

Oh I'll still have fun lighting flairs, I just don't like hanging them on my backpack when I'm lost in the desert. :hillbill: Ill just continue enjoying lighting my regular flairs and slinging them at passing cars :angel:

Just kidding, I've never done that :lliar: :P

4runnerchevy
03-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Too funny :rofl:

localmotion
03-08-2008, 09:22 AM
let me guess...your the guy who lights them at the scene of an accident with fuel/liquids leaking out of the vehicle...hahaha

those are some pretty cool flares, a bunch of friends have them and they are awesome on the interstate.

Tankota
03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
hehe, thats another plus about these about these goofy new led things that I hadnt even thaught of.
They wont light things on fire.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
i need a set that i can stap to my chest and then come into the bedroom when my wife is sleeping and she can think she was abducted by aliens and "probed"

4runnerchevy
03-22-2008, 04:55 AM
hehe, thats another plus about these about these goofy new led things that I hadnt even thaught of.

Doesn't that suck !

Tankota
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Doesn't that suck !

Well I dont now about you, but I would be pretty pissed if my truck lit on fire. :( And since it has a tendancy to leak volitile fluids at the worst possible times that is a concern of mine. :hillbill:

But the other 99% of the time I usually dont mind lighting things on fire.

Hehe, check this out. Actually my younger brother made this one. I dont do this stuff as much now because I would go to a real jail if busted, he would get a spanking and sent home :spank:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6cZ82N2SDMg