PDA

View Full Version : Tire Issue

Hawkdog21
09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Backround-- I have a 96 4runner, it is locked front and rear, tranny and PS cooler, and stock gears, and plenty of lift. I have a DD and body damage means nothing to me, I am looking to take my truck to its absolute limit. the question is should I continue running 33s (im gonna jump to 305s) or 315s. With 35s i will have a larger stance and what not, but a truck with 35s halfway through a trail with a broken CV is not very capable. So, yea, 33s or 35s, and i want to as capable as possible, lets here it.

Good Times
09-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Generally the bigger the tire the bigger the footprint which gives you the most traction. So if this vehicle will become a trail vehicle I would install the large tire you can stuff. 35's will require the max suspension height possible + 1.5" body lift (I believe - hopefully others will chime in).

But getting larger tires = regear.

305's are becoming more popular too so this is another alternative.

broken cv's no problem, just keep spares. you can easily break cv's on 33's. it happens so be prepared.

Hawkdog21
09-14-2007, 06:42 AM
yea, i have plenty of lift, i can fit em, and i have done everything for em, cept regear. and i have 4 spare CVs, and i keep 2 in my truck at all time, so that is also not an issue, and ill be cutting the poop outta the fenders, so fitting is not an issue. i think im just gonna go with 35s, you only live once, id rather have the clearance and the footprint out there on the trail rather than spend my life worry about something that might not happen and if it does, ill just fix it

04 Rocko Taco
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like your mind is all made up, how bout some pics of this beast?

Hawkdog21
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
ill have pics when the 35s and the budbuilt front and belly skids are on, i would snap acouple now, but i have no idea where my flippin camera is... so pics in a week, ill have a thread with stage 2 of my buildup

Good Times
09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
sounds like plan :) good luck!