PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stuck on hub

slowheelin
09-15-2007, 06:48 PM
So I went to change my shocks today. I jacked up the front and pulled the wheel off on the passenger side then proceeded to the drivers side. The frickin' wheel is stuck on the hub!!! I sprayed it with PB Blaster and waited, still stuck... I took it to the shop '(it needed the alignment done and new tires put on anyway) thinking that they'll pull the wheel off and then I'll be able to pop it off when I get home. Nope... It's still stuck on there.
Any suggestions? This would really suck if I were on the road somewhere and had to change a flat. Thanks

slosurfer
09-15-2007, 06:51 PM
That sucks, we'll get that sucker off!

Cebby
09-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I had the same thing happen once. I ended up taking it to Mieneke for a free brake inspection and let them free it for me. :D

YotaFun
09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Try kicking the tire?

I had the same issue, got under the truck (after making sure that it wasn't going to move and inch) and with both feet wailed on it and viola, It came off

Good Times
09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Though not recommended, you can loosen the lugs a bit (we're talking enough for the tire to come apart) and drive around the block. Just make sure you don't loosen them too much.

I've read people do this but I think omg you're crazy.

Could work. But I'd try the bfh (big fat hammer) first.

slowheelin
09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
How ever it comes off I'm putting some anit-seize on the hub. Hopefully that will make it easier the next time

xonetruthcrewx
09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Lance has a good idea there, just be careful when doing that. Except, i would try a "bfh" (big fu**ing hammer) first on the inside of the tire/rim and work my way around.

Definitely rust keeping the wheel on there, especially since your right there on the ocean. Anti Seize will definitely be your friend in the future. Have fun.

slosurfer
09-16-2007, 08:57 AM
That's kindof crazy that the tire shop got it off but now it is stuck again. :headscratch: I'm betting a extra set of hands and a BFH will work. Do you have a BFH?

MTL_4runner
09-16-2007, 12:17 PM
The easiest way is to either kick the tire off from under the truck (make sure you have the truck in the air and it's VERY well supported and use an extra floor jack just for safety). After a few good kicks, the tire will come right off. The other way is to loosen the lug nuts about 2-3 threads and drive around the block. It works, but you can also do damage to the wheel if it's allowed to move too much. When you finally do get it apart, use some wheel bearing grease on the wheel's mating surfaces to make sure this doesn't happen again (also put some on each of the wheel studs too).

slowheelin
09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Got it off. Went to AutoZone this morning and got a BFH and more PB Blaster. Worked like a charm.

04 Rocko Taco
10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Congrats! I had a similar problem, I got my wheels off no problem, but my hub surrounds were rsuted to the wheel hubs. lol. Had a fun time getting them off.

Texas Jim
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes, I have been there and done that!! I prefer the Big Hammer plan!! I like big hammers!! :clap: LOL TJ

Seanz0rz
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Congrats! I had a similar problem, I got my wheels off no problem, but my hub surrounds were rsuted to the wheel hubs. lol. Had a fun time getting them off.

i had that happen to the front hub caps on my wheels. took a lot of pb blaster and many many tries with a strap wrench with someone standing on the brakes.