PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Filters

Henry
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
So I finally gave into temptations and got myself a Nikon D40 since prices have come down a bit and am loving it. Its such an awesome camera and quite a jump from point and shoots. I've been reading alot about slr photography and one of the topics I've come across is filters. The arguments just keep going back and forth, like coke vs pepsi. Some are adamant that it affects picture quality while others say it doesn't, or while it may, a regular joe wont notice it. I know a lot of you guys have slr cameras, so for those who do, do you use filters? I'm thinking of getting an nd, polarizer, and uv filter. The first two for the effects and the last one for er protection (even though the only lens I have now is the kit one and the one I plan on getting later isnt terribly expensive). I'm just a bit anal with my toys. I doubt the filters will affect quality enough for a newbie like me to notice. What do you guys think? Also if you do use filters, any thoughts on brands, multi-coating, super multi-coating etc? Are the more expensive ones going to make a big difference from a cheaper one? So far I'm thinking something like Hoya's HMC would do the trick. Seems to get good reviews from ones who are pro-filters and is kinda middle of the line. Thanks.

tack427
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I've been looking at filter too, but for a Sony camcorder for fishing trips and stuff like that.

neliconcept
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
use ND for highly lit situations or if you want to do a long exposure of a waterfall or stream with too much light an ND 4 or ND8 will do the trick ND 8 is a darker filter though.

Polarizer is good to get, Hoya or BW will be good brands to chose from.

also a haze filter is nice to have for protection

other filters if you plan on doing any Black and white is yellow and red to mess with, if you use a blue filter it actually decreases the contrast instead of adding to it,. yellow will add contrast and red will add super amounts of contrast including making the sky darker like around a dark grey with Black and white photos.

just my .02
im sure others will chime in.

slowheelin
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Polarizer is your best bet, I use it more than any other filter I have.
Also an ND grad is nice to have so you can darken one portion of a shot with out affecting the other.

Example:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c2/Gradndfilter.jpg/180px-Gradndfilter.jpg