PDA

View Full Version : Will this hood fit?/Progress update

slowheelin
09-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey all I need a new hood and there's local guy on Craigslist selling one for $20 bucks. It's from an 89-95 truck, will it fit on a 93 4Runner?? I don't see why it wouldn't.
Thoughts?

slosurfer
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Did you find out if that hood would fit? If so that is a hell of a deal!

DHC6twinotter
09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
For $20, I'd give a shot. The hood skin should be the same, but I dunno about the latches and whatnot.

Cebby
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It should be a direct bolt in fit.

slowheelin
09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I have it in the garage. My current hood has a rust spot on it and I figured that it was worth $20 to not have to deal with the rust. Besides we were gonna paint it black with marine paint and the new one is black already, still gonna do the marine paint though.

Big T
09-24-2007, 06:48 AM
The front ends of the 2nd gen. 4Runner and the 89-95 pickups should be inter-changable

slowheelin
09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Haven't test fit it yet but the Rustoleum marine paint looks awesome so far. Two coats down two to go.

slowheelin
10-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Here's what it looks like so far.

http://www.sloshutter.com/robb/pics-/DSC_0037.jpg

DHC6twinotter
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Wish my hood looked that clean! lol. Mine is all dented with fading paint. :best:

slowheelin
10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
We finally got around to finishing up the hood and putting it on.

Ta-da! Not bad for a $20 hood and about $30 in paint and supplies

http://www.sloshutter.com/robb/pics-/new_hood.jpg

Next up is the roof!

slosurfer
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Robb, that looks sweet! Cant' wait to see it with the roof done.

Also, the campground work party may be called off this weekend due to the closure of Los Padres NF. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

slowheelin
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Clean!!

Now, just a suggestion, IMHO...

Lay down some side color(s) and make the hump stand out, wet sand the roof and carry it up and over!!
Make the best of the new addition while taking care of the flaking clearcoat.
*You went ahead and already painted the cowl right, why not pull the trigger. :D

*Are you going to do the roof and doorjambs, if not, that'll add in finish work.
**Also, pull your front grille emblems, and wiper arms. Refinish the grille and wiper arms so it'll blend clean and stand out better.
(Sorry, the Fashionista/Product Spec Manager part of me took over.)

I think we're just going to leave it clean, well for now anyway. The factory stripes (on the sides) are coming off after the roof gets finished. Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the wheels. Oh yeah, a grill mod is in the works too and I'll paint the wipers to match :)

olharleyman
10-26-2007, 10:19 PM
We finally got around to finishing up the hood and putting it on.

Ta-da! Not bad for a $20 hood and about $30 in paint and supplies

http://www.sloshutter.com/robb/pics-/new_hood.jpg

Next up is the roof!

Look's Really Good But I am Wondering Is That Spray On Or Brush On And Is That Clear Coat Spray Or Roll On?

slowheelin
10-27-2007, 07:22 PM
OHG,
The paint was rolled on and there's no clear coat on it. The process went something like this...

* Sanded the hood w/ 600 grit. Washed thoroughly with Dawn. Dried, rubbed down w/ acetone. Tack cloth. One coat of Rustoleum marine paint (Top Side enamel, gloss black) w/ a high density foam roller.

* Wet sanded w/ 600 grit. Wash/dried/etc... another coat of paint

* Wet sanded again w/ 600 grit... another coat of paint thinned 3:1

* Wet sanded w/ 1000 grit. Another coat of paint thinned 4:1

Once the roof is done we'll wetsand w/ 2000 grit & hit it w/ a buffer & some 3M Perfect-It.

I should mention I know about nothing about painting cars this was a big experiment that my fiancee and I embarked on. It's far from a perfect job, there's a couple spots that are a bit dodgy and there's some dust and fibers in the paint. But no biggie it's gonna get scratched up off-roading.

FourRunner,
Probably gonna get steelies.