PDA

View Full Version : Project Phoenix TJM-17---effort to save and modify my TJM-17

Bob98SR5
09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
hey guys,

don't know if you guys recall, but i rear ended a couple on the freeway in May. well today, i found out that my insurance company is still trying to settle the injury claim from that supposedly nice couple who all said they were ok. bastids! the police lady got the written description that they said they were ok...oh well, what can I do except sit and wait?

so that motivated me today to shut up and fix the TJM 17 bumper. taking some cues from brucets' great work on modifying his bumper, at a high level this is what i'd like to do:

- cut the bent pieces off
- see if i can bend the pieces flat. if not, buy some plate steel and resahape the parts
- weld them back together
- weld in fog or driving light holders (cups?)
- replace turn signal lights with somethign that actually

here are some pics for perspective:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/backside.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/cutlines_front.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/cutlines_front.jpg

Where you see green lines, that is where I will cut it. the next thing to think about is how i am going to bend them. suggestions?

Lee
09-19-2007, 05:13 AM
nice toes bob :D

but i dont think you need to cut anything off, the tjm is thin enough that you can bend it while its all together. if you want, cut some of the weld lines to weaken it, then bend, then reweld. what you should do is get a bracing skeletal structure behind there to prevent it from bending again and make it stronger.

04 Rocko Taco
09-19-2007, 05:58 AM
nice toes bob :D

but i dont think you need to cut anything off, the tjm is thin enough that you can bend it while its all together. if you want, cut some of the weld lines to weaken it, then bend, then reweld. what you should do is get a bracing skeletal structure behind there to prevent it from bending again and make it stronger.

My thoughts exactly lee!!

AxleIke
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Bob, that sucks. I hate it when people get greedy after the fact. I don't begrudge anyone money if they were truly hurt in an accident that I caused, but 4 mos after the fact? Give me a break.

Anyway, I agree with bending it back if you can. Otherwise just take it over to schaefer and he'll fix you up nice.

Good luck with the douchebags.

Oh, and cute toes! :rofl:

jrallan26
09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Bob,

Two words... Think socks.... LOL!

J/K

AxleIke
09-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Also, Bob, you cut off the sentence about what you want to do with the turn signals. You just say "replace turn signal lights with somethign that actually " What was it you wanted to do?

Bob98SR5
09-19-2007, 08:28 AM
ok you homos, glad you like my toes. who wants to nibble on them? :drool:

lee: great idea. never considered that. what do you suggest how to bend?

axle: dude, i was 1/2 asleep when i posted this. as far as turn signals, bruce did this mod where he ... well i cant remember what he did. but he bought those dump truck turn signals and modified the relay (?) to it.

bob

bamachem
09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
it's a $400 bumper. take that one to the scrap pile and buy a new one! :D

seriously, it will take a ton of effort to get it to look usable again, especially if you're going to pay for welding.

04 Rocko Taco
09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
You can just give it to me and buy a new one Bob. :) That'll fix it, and you get to feel generous and charitable at the same time. lol

AxleIke
09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
axle: dude, i was 1/2 asleep when i posted this. as far as turn signals, bruce did this mod where he ... well i cant remember what he did. but he bought those dump truck turn signals and modified the relay (?) to it.

bob

I wasn't being a dick, i was just asking. Sorry if it came off like that.

I know what you are talking about with Bruces bumper, they look slick.

Oh, and I call NOT IT to suck your toes. My vote is for Andy to do you the honors.

jrallan26
09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
A TJM bumper is only 400 bucks? I thought they were a lot more. A stock Tacoma bumper (chrome) is 340$.

How much do Bruce's bumpers go for?

bamachem
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
(last time i looked...) The TJM w/o the hoops is like $399-$449 depending on where you shop.

The TJM w/ the hoops is like $699-$749.

Of course, then you have about $60 in shipping as well.

Lee
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
its about $500 shipped for a t-17.

anyway, bob, you could just use a sledge. cut the welds down, lay the pieces against something hard and flat, and hammer at it. it wont look perfect but it will work.

if youre looking to get it to look back to stock (i know you dont wheel so heavily so you may enjoy the look more than the function) you can alternatively find a shop (or if you know of someone who works in one) that has a large press and try to get it so you use a flat hard surface to get the creases out. this will take a LOT of careful use of the press but once welded back together im sure it'll look straight.

just a suggestion, i havent ever had to do it. when i bent my tjm back up to a useable stance (when it got bent at paragon last yr) we bolted a large steel bar to it, then leaned into the bar opposite of the bend, bringing it to the other extreme. then unbolted and slowly tweaked it back to straight. it worked for the most part.

for you, if you plan to go to the press route, maybe it would be best to cut each piece at their lines carefully and get them flattened then reweld them back together :)

Lee
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
wait bob, will you pay for the welding as andy says?? if so you likely should just get a new one and sell this one. im surprised you dont know someone who'd do it for you?

xonetruthcrewx
09-19-2007, 04:34 PM
(last time i looked...) The TJM w/o the hoops is like $399-$449 depending on where you shop.

The TJM w/ the hoops is like $699-$749.

Of course, then you have about $60 in shipping as well.

Shipping got expensive. I paid 160 bucks in shipping to a commercial address, ordered it from Steve. Bumper itself was (T-17) was 425$. T-15 is 675$

Bob, i would do what you can to try and fix it. Why not give it a shot. If it turns out that you cant fix it, then buy a new one. As far as bending it back, a sturdy vise, a BFH (dead blow hammer would work good), lay it on the ground and beat it from the back side. Haha. That last one was kinda funny. I dont know, get creative with it. Its already broken so you got nothing to lose. Have fun man.

Bob98SR5
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM

bob

I wasn't being a dick, i was just asking. Sorry if it came off like that.

I know what you are talking about with Bruces bumper, they look slick.

Oh, and I call NOT IT to suck your toes. My vote is for Andy to do you the honors.

oh dude, i was not taking it that way ;) and i hope i didnt come off like a dick either. i know you were asking for clarification. but yeah, i have all the time in the world to make this work (or not). i hope to get some good feedback and suggestions. so far, i have better direction so i'm gonna do it

lee: nope, i'm not paying anyone to weld it. this is a good time for me to get some more welding stick time and do it myself and get lance's help as well. we co-purchased a welder, so i'm gonna use it. never had the need until now. and i'm deifnitely not buyign a new one! onetruth: exactly, might as well give it a shot. i mean, its not that bad...just a few bends :)

bob

BruceTS
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes it would be cheaper to replace the bumper, if you consider labor. But the experience in doing it yourself is priceless, for me that's half the fun....

Looking at the photo's it would be quite easy to fix, Bob if you need help just bring it by my place, I'll show you how easy it is.

BTW I do have a set of wings in perfect condition.....

Personally I wouldn't strengthen the bumper, but would the mounts. I actually want mine to bend in an accident, make it too strong and something has to give, most likely it'll be the frame.

Bob98SR5
09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
bruce,

great advice as always. :)

yeah , its totally about doing it and getting some hands on time w/ metal, fab'g and welding. thanks very much for your offer to help---i may take you up on it. how would you go about repairing this?

i have the wings. those guys survive. one side needs to be repainted. the thing i want to do is...well, everything you did! that is, trimming the wings, putting in fogs) and those cool turn signals. oh also, i want to strengthen the mounts like you suggested and add back the shackle holders into the mount.

BruceTS
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Bob bring your bumper with you to Lance's place tomorrow, I'll take a look at it then......

Bob98SR5
09-22-2007, 10:42 PM
bruce,

ok, will do. thanks again for your help :)

bob