PDA

View Full Version : New Project

Joust
09-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie. don't shoot.
I have done a couple Supra MKIII projects with the 7mgte. learned a lot.
Now I think I'd like to tackle an older 4runner or a ext cab.
I would really like to put in a 1UZ. I was reading up on your conversion Cebby. wow... :bowdown:

Did you finish it? is the rest of your write up available?
i gotta admit, it is more work that I had hoped. I'm having trouble find a starting vehicle. The best i can find at this point is a 1986 4x4 pickup with a 22R.
I'd like to put an automatic on the transfer case. No idea if thats even possible.
I might go to the old 7m. alas I know it well. I've rebuilt two this summer. never done any 4x4 stuff though.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cebby
09-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome aboard!!

My swap isn't done - not due to technical difficulty, just not enough time to devote to it currently. My engine is nearly reassembled and will be going back in for a 4th time to check clearances. I hope to update the thread soon.

You can certainly put an auto on the t-case. That's what I have - A340F automatic to dual transfer cases. The auto is the cheaper way to do a 1UZ swap currently. There are no bolt on solutions for manuals in the states yet. For a manual behind the 1UZ, you need to get a bellhousing kit with flywheel, clutch, etc from Australia - they actually pioneered this swap and have a handful of vendors who supply parts.

The 7M will also fit in the 86. There are some mods that need to happen to the core support I think since the 7M is pretty long. Check out Pirate and 4RnrRick. I'm pretty sure he put a 7M in his 1st Gen. Ultimately, no one has done that swap more than Rob (SuperRunner). His site is here (http://www.supracharged.com/).

Joust
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
what does a 1uz and a 341 tranny and ECU and wiring harness go for down your way?
individual prices.
I found all of these things here in canada.
i know a guy that has a SC400 he smacked up.

Cebby
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I paid $1000 delivered for a low mile JDM 1UZ from New York. I got the a341e for $300 locally. ECU and uncut wiring harness were $100 each from David at Lextreme in California. Prices are US$ :D

I've seen entire engine/trans/ECU/harnesses for under $1000 locally. They are plentiful in the scrap yards here. I was at a u-pull here on Wednesday and stumbled across 2 fresh candidates.

Make sure you get a motor with all the accessories - my JDM motor didn't show up with an alternator, PS pump or AC pump - It's been nickel and diming me to death to geet all these parts and mounting hardware etc.

Don't forget that you will also need an AFM and ignitors - these are generally not included when buying a junkyard motor.

Joust
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
cool, Thats about what I thought.
I did find the engine cheaper. about $750. with 40,000km on it. The dude is asking 400 for the tranny.
Would the differential be of any use from SC400? do they run LSD?

oh and BTW. the Canadian Dollar was 0.0004 cents MORE than the US dollar this morning at 10:58AM :D

I can't wait to see the rest of your write up.
so if i get all these things, what more do i need?
can i shoehorn this baby in the truck as is? or MUST i get the different oil pan? relocate the oil filter. etc.
Do you have a list?
Joust

Cebby
09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't have a list anywhere, but here's a partial (+ the above listed stuff):

Exhaust Manifolds (I believe SC400 model *might* fit - LS400 no way) or headers (none bolt in, would be customized somewhat)
Oil Pan customization (if you want the motor down low)
Oil Filter Relo
Cooling
Fuel Line
Motor Mounts

For the trans, you can swap the a341e output shaft and tail housing for an a340f model so you can bolt up a t-case without having to monkey around with the trans wiring. The alternative to cracking the a341e open (changing output shaft requires dismantling the trans/pulling the vavle body, etc.) is doing like I did and change the input side of a 4WD transmission/t-case assembly. Mine is an a340f out of a 2000 4Runner(not using 2000 t-case though). I will have a little bit of wiring to mess with.

Cebby
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I forgot...

I'm pretty sure the SC400 has an LSD, but I don't now of anyone who has used one in a truck rear end. A buddy of mine used a Supra LSD once I think - not sure if they are the same.

Joust
09-21-2007, 06:42 AM
For the trans, you can swap the a341e output shaft and tail housing for an a340f model so you can bolt up a t-case without having to monkey around with the trans wiring. The alternative to cracking the a341e open (changing output shaft requires dismantling the trans/pulling the vavle body, etc.) is doing like I did and change the input side of a 4WD transmission/t-case assembly. Mine is an a340f out of a 2000 4Runner(not using 2000 t-case though). I will have a little bit of wiring to mess with.

I'm confused by your statement here.
whats the difference between
"you can swap the a341e output shaft and tail housing for an a340f model so you can bolt up a t-case without having to monkey around with the trans wiring."
and
"The alternative to cracking the a341e open (changing output shaft requires dismantling the trans/pulling the valve body, etc.) is doing like I did and change the input side of a 4WD transmission/t-case assembly."

I'd like to avoid opening the main part of the tranny if at all possible. changing the tail is not a big deal. I'm not a total newbie but haven't really played inside a automatic tranny before. I'm not opposed to doing this if its necessary. but not the main drive in this project. that scope may have to change if its necessary.

Cebby
09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Changing the tailhousing does nothing, you need to install a 4WD output shaft - that involves getting into the trans.

What I did (listed in my thread) - is to pull the bellhousing, torque converter, trans oil pump, and input/planetary from the a341e and install these parts in the a340f. They bolt right in. I think I'll also need to install another speed sensor to make the ECU happy. (the a340f only has the speed sensor in the tailhousing where as the a341e has (2) - 1 in the tailhousing and 1 near the bellhousing.

Joust
09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
OH, see my newbie status is exposed here....
I might as well find an auto from a 4runner instead of modding the 341 from a lex then. would you recommend that? Will a 340 form a 4runner bolt up to the 1uz?

Joust
10-06-2007, 05:29 AM
bought my truck yesterday.
Its a 1985 4runner sr5.
let the work begin.

Cebby
10-06-2007, 06:43 AM
I might as well find an auto from a 4runner instead of modding the 341 from a lex then. would you recommend that? Will a 340 form a 4runner bolt up to the 1uz?

Answered in my previous post.

Changing the tailhousing does nothing, you need to install a 4WD output shaft - that involves getting into the trans.

What I did (listed in my thread) - is to pull the bellhousing, torque converter, trans oil pump, and input/planetary from the a341e and install these parts in the a340f. They bolt right in. I think I'll also need to install another speed sensor to make the ECU happy. (the a340f only has the speed sensor in the tailhousing where as the a341e has (2) - 1 in the tailhousing and 1 near the bellhousing.