PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench Buys?

MTL_4runner
09-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm in need of a good set of torque wrenches and I'd like to get both a 1/2" 50-250 Ft-lbs and a 3/8" 10-100 Ft-lbs unit. So I'm looking for what you guys have in your toolbox, experiences with different brands, etc. I've looked at both the Husky and Kobalt brand torque wrenches but it's hard to say how accurate they are. I've heard the Husky's are fairly accurate and Kobalt is made by Snap-on but I think you be hard pressed to say buying a Kobalt brand is the same thing as buying Snap-on. Anyway, let me know what you're using and what works for you.

Robinhood4x4
09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I have two craftsman wrenches in about the same range as you want. They seem fine but like you said there's not really any way for me to check the calibration. Although I could probably take them into work and check them against our calibrated torque wrenches.

My only gripe is that the lines and the graduations on the adjuster don't line up well. You can still tell what the torque is, but you have to pay attention. The snap ons at work are made much better quality. Kinda like chevy vs toyota, the fit and finish is just better.

Cebby
09-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Snap On ones are the shizzle, but are big $$$. From what I've seen and heard they are the benchmark.

I think I have the same ones as Steve. They've been good to me, but I'm uber careful with them. (I've heard they don't react well to drops :D)

cooldry
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I use Harbor Freight. Can't beet the price and they seem pretty good. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing them. But I figure it's better than guessing. I got the 3/8 for about $13 and the 1/2 for about $25. They are just like Snap On's... You "snap" the socket "on" :rofl:

Seanz0rz
09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
my dad purchsed a 1/2 inch craftsman digitorque when he did the timing belt on our old 3.0. been a great tool, just used it last week, on what we found out to be its 13th year. ive used it alot, its a great tool!

also, no way of actually testing. but im sure its fine.

xonetruthcrewx
09-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Hands down, Stahlwille. My 1/2" 80-400 nm. Stahlwille torque wrench kills all. I also have a smaller 3/8" 25-250 inch pound Craftsman. Eh. Thats about all i can say about that. It works, but im not a huge fan. Also have an inch pound 1/4" Armstrong. I have used plenty of Snap On tools and torque wrenches and i am honestly not a fan. I will say it once again, Stahlwille. Definitely not cheap though.

d0ubledown
09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
had a craftsman 1/2". worked nice...till i forgot it out of my toolbox on a camping trip earlier this year. :chair:

it was OK...plastic handle broke though which was kinda lame...still worked though. i'd replace it with a quality one...the snapon one i used once before was nice. pricey though...for what it is. but if you plan on using it everyday...id go for it.

surf4runner
09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
i have the click type and beam.
they both have their benefits.

this is my favorite for putting stripped bolts back on...