PDA

View Full Version : Slider design...

bigwapitijohnny
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Good afternoon,

I was wondering about slider design. I have seen 4crawler's, Wab-Fab, Stubbs, Sonoran Steel, etc...What are your recommendations for these? I am curious to know about the advantages/disadvantages regarding hoop design or the open design. If you had to do it over again, would you do anything different? Thanks all! :thumbup:

slosurfer
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, I have the Stubbs Deluxe SKO's, the only thing I can say so far; they look great in my garage. :tapedshut:

Seanz0rz
09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
i have the wabfab/4xinnovations sliders, actually taking a break from welding the legs on! i will have them installed this weekend. they seem to look wonderful on jackstands under the truck for mockup. i actually wish they were about 7 inches longer. i have the 60" and a 66 or 67 would have been better IMHO, there seems to be too much space between wheel well and slider for my liking, but i think they will end up perfect.

ill get some pics of me working a little later, and then ill post those up when im done, probably next week sometime.

i think at some point i may weld 1/8 inch plate to the bottoms to prevent rocks from getting hungup in the hoops. ill see if that is necessary when i actually trail test them.

heres hoping my welds dont break!!!!

Good Times
09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
In all reality, sliders are sliders. Is one better than the other? Maybe, maybe not. The truth is, having none is probably suicidal but then again this all depends on what kind of terrain you're on. I'd say any sliders you put on will be better than nothing as it's soul purpose is to protect your sheet metal. Anything outside of that is all bling.

I've see designs that have a kick out towards the rear tire and some love em some don't. I say just buy or build whatever you think looks cool. It's way better than not having any for the most part :)

Now personally speaking, I love the hybrid looks (use of square tubing and round tubing)

good luck!

AxleIke
09-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Out of curiosity, You just got your rig back from armorology, why on earth didn't you have him build you some?

As for brands, sliders do their job. I recommend Sonoran Steel or Stubbs. Nothing against the others, just been treated more than right by SS and I've seen stubbs stuff in action.

bigwapitijohnny
09-21-2007, 03:40 AM
I looked into getting some at Armorology, but we simply ran out of time...would the open design cause a 'point' in which the rig would get stuck on?... :headscratch:

wifesaysimadumbass
09-21-2007, 09:31 PM
just make sure you think about what you are doing with your rig if you might be "scraping" the sliders once in awhile then you can use hrew tubing.... if you plan on slamming the @#$% out of your rig on rocks like i've done with mine go dom tubing (much stronger).....as far as who makes them they are only as tough as the steel they are made of....

traxman25
09-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Personally I love having the kick out. Here in the Midwest I use it a lot on a tight trail to pivot the truck off of stuff. It's also saved my fenders from trees more than once. Some guys have said they don't want the kick out because they feel it will cause them to get stuck between two objects, but for me, my tires still stick out another 1.5-2 inches on each side, so I'd not only get stuck anyway, but also probably take out my sheet metal too.

I have never had a problem getting hung up between one of the legs or the stringers myself, but I'm sure some hardcore guys have.

Seanz0rz
09-22-2007, 12:12 PM
i ordered mine with the kick out also. i set them about an inch in from the rear tire line.

just to let you know, brian from wabfab read my post about them being too short, and offered to work out a deal to get longer ones. i was looking around and found that MOST 4runners have 60" sliders. and after i got mine welded up, i set them up to the truck and found them to actually be perfect. i dont ever forsee anything ever touching ahead or behind them. i think they looked great! highly reccomended. i bought the hrew ones, if i destroy them, ohwell. lesson learned. however i think they should be fine. i might plate the bottom with 1/8 steel, but ill see how the perform first.

when it stops raining i can finish painting (just primed now to prevent rusting) and then get them welded on, fia my mig welder and a 10kw generator (since i dont have a plug close enough to the driveway, nor a 75' extention cord...)

Ric
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
heres a pic of mine, I think Steve had a say in the design :thumbup: , but are from Stubbs Welding, either way, these ROCK :bowdown:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/Ric4rnr/CO4RJ/IMG_2350.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/Ric4rnr/CO4RJ/IMG_2347.jpg
I love these things cant say enough about them. :thumbup: